What to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka118

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this website and wanted to hear some general thoughts on applying to med school. I am going into my third year (molecular bio major, chem and spanish minors). My current overall GPA is 3.79 and the science GPA is around 3.7. I plan on taking the mcat 2015 in the spring. Some of my ec's include a charity organization I started on my campus, as well as other organizations of volunteering in the community. I have worked in the past as a cashier, a nanny, and a receptionist at a dermatology office. I have experience shadowing an ob/gyn in her office and at the hospital. I volunteered back at home at a local hospital's ER. This fall, I plan on continuing the volunteering on campus as well as starting research. I plan on applying a the end of this year when the apps open up. Is there anything I can do before then to strengthen my application? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am new to this website and wanted to hear some general thoughts on applying to med school. I am going into my third year (molecular bio major, chem and spanish minors). My current overall GPA is 3.79 and the science GPA is around 3.7. I plan on taking the mcat 2015 in the spring. Some of my ec's include a charity organization I started on my campus, as well as other organizations of volunteering in the community. I have worked in the past as a cashier, a nanny, and a receptionist at a dermatology office. I have experience shadowing an ob/gyn in her office and at the hospital. I volunteered back at home at a local hospital's ER. This fall, I plan on continuing the volunteering on campus as well as starting research. I plan on applying a the end of this year when the apps open up. Is there anything I can do before then to strengthen my application? Thanks for your help.
How many total shadowing hours do you have? Do you have any experience with teaching (coach, TA, tutor, mentor)?

How many total shadowing hours do you have? Do you have any experience with teaching (coach, TA, tutor, mentor)?

Not too many hours, maybe 40 or so. I used to tutor, but not at college. Should I add that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too many hours, maybe 40 or so. I used to tutor, but not at college. Should I add that?
About 50 shadowing hours is the average listed. Perhaps you can get some more time in before you apply/

If the tutoring didn't continue after HS graduation, it's best not to include it in a med school Work/Activities section. That said, there's no rule you couldn't include a HS activity, but adcomms won't much regard it.

Alright, thank you for your response. I will try and begin tutoring or something of that sort. I am continuing shadowing as well.

Hello,

Welcome to SDN, here you'll find a plethora of helpful/useless feedback; it's your choice to decide which is which.

My two cents, your grades look exceptional, continue this. Try to keep the "upward curve" going, especially with upper-level science courses. An upward trend sGPA is important.

Your EC's show that you are interested in the medical field, however you haven't specified to us how many hours you have spent in each, this is important.

Focus on ACING the MCAT, start taking practice tests early and often. Look into practice programs or MCAT tutoring. You have a solid GPA, however, low MCAT scores tend to ruin apps. I suggest organizing a study plan to effectively prepare for each part of the test.

The shadowing is near 40, the volunteering is pretty low as I am new. Maybe 10 hours. I have worked in the dermatology office over 500 hours. I spend roughly 10 hours a week with my club, prepping and attending events and meetings.