What to write about when I haven't faced nearly any adversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futrdoctrfl

Reaction score
I'm finishing up secondary applications and the only ones I have yet to complete are those that ask about significant challenges/adversity that I've faced in life. The truth is that I've been pretty blessed and really haven't faced any significant adversity like losing a loved one. Not saying I haven't had challenges because I definitely have. These challenges just so happen to cover every topic you shouldn't talk about in an essay lol (depression, sexual harassment, being cheated on and then dumped right before a terrible finals week where I had SIX exams). Last cycle I made the mistake of writing about how I overcame depression...I knew it wasn't a brilliant idea to do that but it was definitely a significant challenge that I was able to get myself out of.

Other challenges/solutions I could possibly talk about:
-being bullied in middle school for being overweight/having overweight parents. There wasn't really a solution here because I just decided to lose weight...it was definitely a hard time for me but I was also so young...
-having to go to a high school where I knew absolutely no one but I eventually made friends by joining clubs. I was somewhat excited to go to a new school for the above reasons though so idk if I should really write about this being a significant challenge (but it might be my best bet?)

I've recently dealt with smaller scale challenges as a TA and at work, but again I wouldn't consider it "significant" or "adversity." Would it be inappropriate to maybe acknowledge in my essay that I haven't had any significant adversity and just talk about a challenge I had at work and how I over came it? I just don't want an adcom reading about me being bullied or going to a new school right after reading an essay on how someone got over the death of their parent or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Of the struggles you’ve listed, I feel like a weight loss journey could make for some good paper fodder!

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone faces adversity. It would probably refreshing to read about every-day struggles like you listed rather than some premed thinking their life is so profound like none other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools don't want a menagerie of tragedy.

Approach the prompt by showing how you faced a challenge, adapted, and overcame it. The point is to show resilience and flexibility when things don't go your way. Show how you made a positive change.

I'm finishing up secondary applications and the only ones I have yet to complete are those that ask about significant challenges/adversity that I've faced in life. The truth is that I've been pretty blessed and really haven't faced any significant adversity like losing a loved one. Not saying I haven't had challenges because I definitely have. These challenges just so happen to cover every topic you shouldn't talk about in an essay lol (depression, sexual harassment, being cheated on and then dumped right before a terrible finals week where I had SIX exams). Last cycle I made the mistake of writing about how I overcame depression...I knew it wasn't a brilliant idea to do that but it was definitely a significant challenge that I was able to get myself out of.

Other challenges/solutions I could possibly talk about:
-being bullied in middle school for being overweight/having overweight parents. There wasn't really a solution here because I just decided to lose weight...it was definitely a hard time for me but I was also so young...
-having to go to a high school where I knew absolutely no one but I eventually made friends by joining clubs. I was somewhat excited to go to a new school for the above reasons though so idk if I should really write about this being a significant challenge (but it might be my best bet?)

I've recently dealt with smaller scale challenges as a TA and at work, but again I wouldn't consider it "significant" or "adversity." Would it be inappropriate to maybe acknowledge in my essay that I haven't had any significant adversity and just talk about a challenge I had at work and how I over came it? I just don't want an adcom reading about me being bullied or going to a new school right after reading an essay on how someone got over the death of their parent or something.
Introspection is a required trait to become a physician.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
OP, you're thinking about it incorrectly. My life, too, has had no real tragedy beyond maybe a couple tough break ups.

But I could answer this prompt just by discussing the orange I peeled at lunch today. Cheers and good luck.

I think the overweight challenges could be good writing. Just make sure you focus on what you have learned from the experience and what qualities you have shown or gained. It’s not really about what difficulties you’ve encountered - it’s more like a chance to show some personal growth and and understanding of yourself.

Example: One of my essays on this prompt was about having a hard time integrating into peer groups in a foreign country due to language barriers. In the end I felt that overcoming the challenge allowed me to be more inclined to take initiative and also become mindful of including everyone in the conversation.

Hope this helps!

Focus on your weight loss journey.
Including about how you had to learn about health and overcome the culture of bad eating/ being overweight in your family and what that taught you about how to approach an overweight family in your medical practice