What was your worst/most hated part of the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was the radiation oncologist.

Members don't see this ad.

So what you guys are all saying is that the 30-day wait for MCAT scores is nothing compared to the waiting during the rest of the year? This is not gonna be fun........

So what you guys are all saying is that the 30-day wait for MCAT scores is nothing compared to the waiting during the rest of the year? This is not gonna be fun........

its like the difference between high school football and NFL

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? The consensus is the waiting? The worst part for me was having to choose which of the 10 schools I was accepted at I should matriculate to.

:laugh:

Really? The consensus is the waiting? The worst part for me was having to choose which of the 10 schools I was accepted at I should matriculate to.

One year from now this will be the post that bumps this thread....

Worst part is it makes you poor. Also %$#@ the MCAT.

Aside from the obvious waiting, fees, etc. ...

My parking situation at XYZ School of Medicine 2 years ago.

I pull up to the med school in my whip looking all dapper and a security guard directs me to park in the visitor parking lot. I notice this particular parking lot has an hourly rate of like 3$/hr and know I'm gonna be there all day; I think nothing of it and figure we'll probably get a parking voucher or something. No such parking vouchers. Ok, whatever. The process is expensive and I've got a little bit cash, debit/debit, etc. Fast forward many hours later... don't have enough cash and they don't take debit or credit. The attendant lady is looking at me like she's about to make me wash dishes to pay what I owe.

She lets me fill out a slip that'll be mailed to me to pay back the fee plus interest.

Result: Waitlist

Words of wisdom: When interviewing at XYZ school of medicine, leave the plastic at home; bring serious cash.

Members don't see this ad :)
applying late was awful. it sucked seeing people get interviews and acceptances before I even submitted my secondaries...

The amount of money it cost was just insane. Everyone is trying to make a buck...

I'm about to FAP all over the AMCAS and the secondaries this upcoming cycle. May the force be with me.

Not gonna lie but if your mdapps profile is true.... then you will be a very big deal this cycle. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

You will need it... also a crap ton of time for all the secondaries. Those suck after awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I've been wanting to ask a quick question but didn't want to start a whole thread for it and this seems like a good thread to ask on: do you get the essay questions for your application on June 1 or are they available earlier in the year? Ive looked around for an answer and haven't found anything, it just says application submissions open June 1. Thank you!

I don't mind the name droppers, mainly because dropping my school's name outs me as a Jew, which is awesome. :laugh:

Not religious, but still reaping the rewards of the culture.

Shalom Sesame? Yes, please.

images

Mount Sinai?:D

Holy enchiladas, Cheech! Your MD App (stats) + Duke = gun to my head. Congrats. Unless you plagiarize or otherwise turn in a stool sample of a PS and secondary, you're set. Sit back, relax, and enjoy. You won't have to deal with nearly as much crap as the rest of us and will have decisions early.

I'm about to FAP all over the AMCAS and the secondaries this upcoming cycle. May the force be with me.

Fill And Process? :p

I'd say the process as a whole is very inefficient and unorganized.

For example, two schools that don't screen for MCAT and GPA for secondaries each rejected me 3 days after I submitted, most likely because of my MCAT score. Why not save me $100 and just tell me "no" before then? And Wake sent me a letter saying that I was supposed to interview, but oops they ran out of spots so I was rejected. Also what's the point of the Work & Activities if I have to re-write them for each school? And I haven't even gotten a decision back from one of my interviews in February...leaving me with little time to make a final decision if I do get accepted there. I wish the AAMC would standardize things more.

Ok I'm done with my rant but I wanted to illustrate that the whole process is kind of messed up. I was accepted so at the end of the day I'm satisfied, but I just wish they would improve a few things.

The unsuredness of the whole process. Schools leaving you hanging for months, etc

Studying for MCAT while working 60 hours a week right now. Can't imagine anything worse than this.

I promise it gets worse. At least you can DO something for the MCAT. Not waiting, powerlessly, for schools to contact you.

I feel like this process has aged me about 10 years.

Being on sdn while waiting. Seeing ppl get accepted left and right while you have nothing makes you sick

Or schools that interview you, then reject you based on one factor (MCAT) that they could've used to reject you pre-interview, *before* you spent all the money, time, and effort. I mean, really? What was the point?

Or schools that interview you, then reject you based on one factor (MCAT) that they could've used to reject you pre-interview, *before* you spent all the money, time, and effort. I mean, really? What was the point?
lol i guess you are still pissed about yesterday

Yup. And yes, tenndoc, I am. LoL I spent about $250 on that interview. Hah, can you imagine if someone tried to sue a school? That would be HILARIOUS!

Going through perhaps the ****tiest year on record - waiting, travelling, anxiety, stress, writing so much redundant crap, waiting for scores, for every confirmation email from schools, for some peace.

And then, once you've chosen your school, it's not up to your non-pre-med-friends' standards, who think they could've done it easily if they wanted, nor is it up to the standards of the younger people you'd love to advise a little bit out of optimism and self-confidence. The only people you can talk to are other premeds, whom you've either avoided thus far, or all envy each other and wish you the worst.

But to take the cake: seeing great people not get in anywhere, while watching *****s or cheaters or extremely average candidates do better than everyone.

Maybe mine has been a peculiar experience...

They already got it during secondaries. By interview time they're not getting any more, except maybe via parking fees. So what's the point?

If they were going to reject you based purely on stats thy would have done it before the secondary, right? If it is a stats issue who cares what your response to the essays are, they would just reject you after the primary. However, places only give out interviews if you have a chance. They were trying to see if you brought some kind of unknown to the interview that would have made up for the stats. I guess that didn't happen but you still had a shot. However, they give out the secondary to people who don't make the stats just for the money
... not the same issue if you got an interview, almost everyone has a legit shot at the interview.

Listening to people on SDN complain about unbalanced 36 mcat scores. Then burning my hard earned money on secondaries (not my parents) that were completely pointless.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

If they were going to reject you based purely on stats thy would have done it before the secondary, right? If it is a stats issue who cares what your response to the essays are, they would just reject you after the primary. However, places only give out interviews if you have a chance. They were trying to see if you brought some kind of unknown to the interview that would have made up for the stats. I guess that didn't happen but you still had a shot. However, they give out the secondary to people who don't make the stats just for the money
... not the same issue if you got an interview, almost everyone has a legit shot at the interview.

That's the case at 99% of schools and why I was so taken aback by the rejection; I'm fortunate to interview very well. But the rejection letter from this particular school clearly stated that it was due to the MCAT. My interviewers flat out told me that they were going to recommend me. So it must have been one or two people on the committee that just couldn't stand the fact that my score was too low, regardless of extenuating circumstances. :-( At this school, there must be some disconnect between those responsible for sending out interviews and the committee members making the final decision.

That's the case at 99% of schools and why I was so taken aback by the rejection; I'm fortunate to interview very well. But the rejection letter from this particular school clearly stated that it was due to the MCAT. My interviewers flat out told me that they were going to recommend me. So it must have been one or two people on the committee that just couldn't stand the fact that my score was too low, regardless of extenuating circumstances. :-( At this school, there must be some disconnect between those responsible for sending out interviews and the committee members making the final decision.

They told you why you were rejected in a rejection letter?! I have never heard of that but it actually sounds nice compared to most schools which leave you wondering why you got rejected....

I dunno, sorry you got rejected. :(

They told you why you were rejected in a rejection letter?! I have never heard of that but it actually sounds nice compared to most schools which leave you wondering why you got rejected....

I dunno, sorry you got rejected. :(

the school gives you recommendations that you need to do to strengthen your application if you plan on reapplying. i think its a nice touch. ive also been told by deans to call them personally to discuss why i was rejected. i would assume that most schools dont do this

the school gives you recommendations that you need to do to strengthen your application if you plan on reapplying. i think its a nice touch. ive also been told by deans to call them personally to discuss why i was rejected. i would assume that most schools dont do this

Correct. Most schools don't.

Correct. Most schools don't.
its just nice to get some kind of help from a school after months and months of torturous waiting and jumping through hoops. its like they give a damn about us... even if its just an empty gesture :rolleyes: