Other OT-Related Information What were the deciding factors for you when choosing a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danidoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially for schools you weren't able to visit before applying, how did you know the program would be a good fit? Which factors did you weigh more heavily when choosing where to apply and/or where to accept?

Members don't see this ad.

First was prereqs. I spent two years of my life taking specific courses for a majority of schools. If a school had something like Chem 101, I wouldn't be willing to take that.

Second was location. I wanted to be close to home (SF Bay Area) or back in NYC, which has a special place in my heart living there for a little over a year.

Third was cost. If you have student loans from undergrad, it doesn't make sense to compound that interest without some sort of plan of attack. It is a mistake of many people who get into OT grad programs (or any for that matter) to not think of the cost that will be incurred during and after graduation. Some people are so far into debt that it is ruining the quality of their lives, no matter how passionate they are about OT.

Fourth was specialties. For example, Pacific U has a gerontology certificate that you can earn while finishing your OTD. That's pretty cool and seems a bit rare. But since it's online, I guess I can get it later. Otherwise, most MSOT and OTD schools will generally have the same curriculum. The differences are in culture and facilities though.

But these four considerations were very close in priority, so it was a toss up for me. Luckily, I was only accepted into one school so I only had one choice and it covered the first three considerations for me.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my biggest factors in narrowing down schools to apply to at first was location. I'm from the midwest and only applied to schools in the midwest. I did not want the additional costs and stress of traveling long distances to come home. I was also concerned about the school culture and environment. I preferred a school that was focused on medicine or health sciences and had great connections and opportunities for networking and real life experiences. I had three schools that I was accepted to this year. I decided not to attend the first one because it was a very conservative Christian university and I am not Christian so I did not feel like I would fit in with that school's culture. The other school I was accepted to is a great school but I would be in the inaugural MSOT class and that made me nervous! I will be attending Rush University in the fall because it is a very progressive school focused on medicine in a great location (Chicago's medical district) with many great connections. I also know someone who has her MSOT from Rush and she loved it there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What Christian school did you apply to? Just curious
One of my biggest factors in narrowing down schools to apply to at first was location. I'm from the midwest and only applied to schools in the midwest. I did not want the additional costs and stress of traveling long distances to come home. I was also concerned about the school culture and environment. I preferred a school that was focused on medicine or health sciences and had great connections and opportunities for networking and real life experiences. I had three schools that I was accepted to this year. I decided not to attend the first one because it was a very conservative Christian university and I am not Christian so I did not feel like I would fit in with that school's culture. The other school I was accepted to is a great school but I would be in the inaugural MSOT class and that made me nervous! I will be attending Rush University in the fall because it is a very progressive school focused on medicine in a great location (Chicago's medical district) with many great connections. I also know someone who has her MSOT from Rush and she loved it there!

What Christian school did you apply to? Just curious
Huntington. It seemed like a great program and the staff was all very friendly but they did mention certain things like they read the bible in class sometimes and make Christianity part of their teachings. I'm sure I would get a good education there but the culture is just not for me personally!