What will you do with yours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What career path are you most interested in?

• Basic research + clinical medicine

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • Clinical research + clinical medicine

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • "translational" medicine + clinical medicine

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • policy/public health, etc + clinical medicine

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Basic research only

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Clinical medicine only

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other research (ie clinical, translational) only

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
I have multiple kids already and I'm not even in residency yet. That's why private practice in a cush outpatient-based specialty is definitely a strong possibility in my mind right now (30% chance I'll end up there). People might think that's a waste of the NIH's money, but hey it's my life and life changes in the 14 years between when you commit to do the MSTP and when you are looking for your first job and more importantly, I'm not going to throw my life under a bus just to live up to some idealistic notions I had at a time when I had practically just barely finished puberty.

To the OP, what are you doing now?

Members don't see this ad.

To the OP, what are you doing now?

Hey, I have REALLY enjoyed lurking on this thread since starting it. Everyone has great responses and the sentiments that you express echo many of my own. I came back to clinics reluctantly after having a great time getting my PhD in immunology (mix of basic and disease-oriented stuff). But I found that, magically, my PhD training and maturity gave me a greater appreciation and understanding of clinical medicine, and I love it.

I also find myself attracted to emergency medicine/critical care, and people who say it is difficult to do research in these specialties (not true BTW) got me thinking about my options. Do I want to study mice all my life? What is translational medicine, anyway? Hey, maybe I want to do public health research and intevention + clinical medicine instead of research! Which made me wonder what others are plannng to do.

Applying to residency this year and still not sure what I will do with my career, but I will enjoy it!

Let's keep the ideas and free thinking flowing!