What words/phrases do you not like in Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychobabbling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me: It's "primitive" - every time I hear it/read it, etc I just get a mental image of apes/gorillas. It seems so 'archaic' to call another human being "primitive." I get we're talking about defenses, etc. Still doesn't sit right with me.

Members don't see this ad.

I've found myself using it, but I dislike the term characterologic to refer to personality disorder traits. It seems insulting. I picked it up working at the VA on inpatient services.

"Successful suicide." Should be "completed suicide," nothing successful about it. And ever since I heard Resnick contrast a patient "declining" medications vs "refusing" medications I can't stop noticing it. I've also more accepting of a patient's "adherence" to treatment opposed to their "compliance." Compliance sounds like we're the borg forcing assimilation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My Psychiatrist thinking out loud tends to make me twitch..."Hmm, wait, yes, no, hmm, no? No, sorry, don't worry, go on"

Dude, either complete a thought or don't start verbalising one in the first place. :smack:

I've found myself using it, but I dislike the term characterologic to refer to personality disorder traits. It seems insulting. I picked it up working at the VA on inpatient services.
I love characterological! I think it's much less offensive/insulting than to talk about personality disorder. which might be silly there you go

I've always had a hard time getting my head around what a mental illness or mental disorder is. It's confusing. The disorder affects mental processes, but to me calling it a mental disorder makes it sound as if the only cause of the disorder is mental rather than bio, psycho, and social. I feel like mental disorders might better be classified as syndromes. Syndromes seem very apt for what we call mental illness. They define a constellation of symptoms that tend to fit into patterns for some people who have them. I like the honesty of the word syndrome. It seems to connote a starting off point: this is what we know, and we're looking for more information. I think "mental" just throws me. It makes it sound as if it's somehow ethereal and the disorders don't take place in a physiological way. Even if the causes were entirely psychological, the manifestations are still physiological. Maybe it's my own early confusion with the word that biases me. Even just to describe it as a disorder that affects mental processes rather than mental disorder is clarifying to me.

Not that I've experienced it myself because I haven't been diagnosed with (and believe me I've asked), but the way I see type 2 personality traits thrown around sometimes seems very reductive. It often seems used in a context where it would be implicitly understood by anyone else reading it what it means, and given that I'm not a medical professional, maybe it is an easy shorthand. But from what I know about type 2 personality traits, it seems like they are varied and that to just say type 2 is non-specific and at times a bit dismissive. It seems like it's sometimes talked about as, "That's their problem" rather than "That's their problem that I am treating." But that's just a vibe I picked up while participating as a non medical professional.

Edit: My memory is bad and I think I may have confused the terminology. Axis II is what I was referring to, not type 2. And I guess the specific disorders are under Cluster B. I'm not sure where my brain came up with Type 2.

Since mental ******ation is now wrong, I have a suggestion that doesn’t focus on the lack of IQ like cognitive deficit or intellectually limited. How about “genius challenged”, or “doesn’t suffer from fits of brilliance”. Perhaps, “voted least likely to say something profound”. Take that you PC police.
:thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
"Chemical imbalance."
"My levels."
"Meds."
"My meds."
"My bipolar."
"I'm a fascinating case study" (euphemism for annoying personality disorder)

Reactions: 4 users
"Floridly psychotic." I'll accept it the first time someone charts "non-floridly psychotic."

Might just be me, but "floridly psychotic" makes me think of a schizophrenic with good teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phrases I have the most problem with are the ones that the auxiliary staff tend to misuse and/or overuse to describe patients that they are having difficulty with or just don't like. "Attention seeking", "Axis II stuff", and "manipulative" seem to be the most common. I always try to educate the staff to be more specific as to what the patient did or did not do because those catch-all labels really tell me nothing.

"self-medicating" "dissociative" "latuda" "psycho-somatic" .....Also when patients say "my _____'s" as in "my klonopin's" "my adderall's" usually makes me suspect they're abusing them...never heard a patient say I need my celexa's

Members don't see this ad :)
"Issues."

I think you mean "problems," just say it. Issues sounds so minimizing. Yes, let's discuss Jeffrey Dahmer and his "issues." Or with even medical conditions, his "kidney issues" for a guy in like stage 4 renal failure - GAH

"Floridly psychotic." I'll accept it the first time someone charts "non-floridly psychotic."

Might just be me, but "floridly psychotic" makes me think of a schizophrenic with good teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if the patient states he's hearing voices, he's psychotic. But, if he is wildly gesticulating to step around the dead bodies and puddles of blood, he's florid. It's like the French "dejeuner" for lunch, and "petit dejeuner" for breakfast. The "floridly" is a super-qualifier.

Or, "non-floridly psychotic" is like "unsweet tea" - umm...what about just "tea"?

Well, if the patient states he's hearing voices, he's psychotic. But, if he is wildly gesticulating to step around the dead bodies and puddles of blood, he's florid. It's like the French "dejeuner" for lunch, and "petit dejeuner" for breakfast. The "floridly" is a super-qualifier.

Or, "non-floridly psychotic" is like "unsweet tea" - umm...what about just "tea"?
Tea is a weird one. When I first moved to Virginia tea by default meant sweetened (which I learned going to a Wendy's and ordering iced tea). Maybe it's because of where I moved to within Virginia since then, but now people seem to specify sweetened or unsweetened, and the default assumption if not specified seems to be unsweetened. I bet you could do a positive correlation with our connotation of tea moving toward unsweetened and our presidential voting record moving toward Democrats.

Tea is a weird one. When I first moved to Virginia tea by default meant sweetened (which I learned going to a Wendy's and ordering iced tea). Maybe it's because of where I moved to within Virginia since then, but now people seem to specify sweetened or unsweetened, and the default assumption if not specified seems to be unsweetened. I bet you could do a positive correlation with our connotation of tea moving toward unsweetened and our presidential voting record moving toward Democrats.

Tea makes sense to me. You have tea, and it's up to the individual to define how said tea should be prepared - same as you have psychotic and it's up to the individual physician to define how that psychosis should be categorised.

I don't dislike the phrase "NGI acquitee" but when I tell people I treat NGI acquitees they have no idea what I'm talking about.

So, I just say I run the home for the criminally insane. [Followed quickly by a little mp3 on my phone of the Psycho shower scene music.]

Well, if the patient states he's hearing voices, he's psychotic.
not necessarily depends on your definition. in the psychological literature people aren't regarded as psychotic if they recognize they are hallucinating. It is the lack of insight into their perceptual experiences that makes one psychotic.

other than that there are all sorts of reasons why people might report hearing voices that are not true psychoses including traumatic hallucinosis, autistic spectrum disorder, intellectual disability, normal bereavement (especially in American Indians), factitious disorder, malingering, sleep disorders (like narcolepsy) etc....

i know that this isn't what you meant, i'm just being difficult ;)

not necessarily depends on your definition. in the psychological literature people aren't regarded as psychotic if they recognize they are hallucinating. It is the lack of insight into their perceptual experiences that makes one psychotic.
But, I thought that, by definition, you can't "feel psychotic", because, by definition, the hallucinations appear real. You can't recognize that you are hallucinating, because you don't know what is real and what isn't. Isn't that it? Now, mind you, I am just a dumb ER doc, and just a ghetto psychiatrist (in other words, about 5 cents more than the average guy).

I don't dislike the phrase "NGI acquitee" but when I tell people I treat NGI acquitees they have no idea what I'm talking about.

So, I just say I run the home for the criminally insane. [Followed quickly by a little mp3 on my phone of the Psycho shower scene music.]

I figured out the NGI, and I reasoned out acquittee, as well, but had not heard that word before--I like words, so that's a good one to know. Have you seen Louis Theroux's documentaries? He's a gonzo journalist. My memory is bad and it was so long ago so it's hard to remember the details, but he did one on prisons in California and the inmates who are indefinitely committed for sex crimes. I don't remember the name of it, but it was part of a series he did on American subcultures.

But, I thought that, by definition, you can't "feel psychotic", because, by definition, the hallucinations appear real. You can't recognize that you are hallucinating, because you don't know what is real and what isn't. Isn't that it? Now, mind you, I am just a dumb ER doc, and just a ghetto psychiatrist (in other words, about 5 cents more than the average guy).
no people often recognize they are hallucinating. This is particularly the case in organic disease (for example large proportion of PD/LBD patients with visual hallucinations recognize the visual hallucinations are not real but they see them. Similarly patients with Charles Bonnet syndrome typically recognize they are hallucinating. In these groups of pts it is only if there is significant cognitive impairment or the "jumping to conclusions" reasoning bias where they have a particular cognitive style of making assumptions with little evidence that they are experienced as real. Even patients with psychiatric disorders like chronic schizophrenia who know they have psychotic illness may hear voices and recognize these as part of their illness. Psychologists will often not regard these individuals as psychotic though psychiatrists typically regard patients experience perceptual distortions/anomalous experiences as psychotic even when insight is preserved.

On a related note, the word I've been getting most annoyed at recently is "voices." As in, staff asking patients, "Do you hear voices?" or reporting, "the patient hears voices." Hearing voices means your ears are working when someone is talking. What the staff actually wants to determine and convey is if the patient is experiencing hallucinations. If someone answers 'yes' to the question 'do you hear voices' and they don't mean 'yes, because that is the dumbest question ever,' then they likely aren't actually hallucinating but instead you've help to push them towards adopting the language of 'hearing voices' to explain the symptoms/distress they are experiencing. *

*this is mostly on the child/adolescent unit. I get, as stated above, that patients can develop insight into their hallucinations but that usually takes time and so would be expected mostly from older patients.

On a related note, the word I've been getting most annoyed at recently is "voices." As in, staff asking patients, "Do you hear voices?" or reporting, "the patient hears voices." Hearing voices means your ears are working when someone is talking. What the staff actually wants to determine and convey is if the patient is experiencing hallucinations. If someone answers 'yes' to the question 'do you hear voices' and they don't mean 'yes, because that is the dumbest question ever,' then they likely aren't actually hallucinating but instead you've help to push them towards adopting the language of 'hearing voices' to explain the symptoms/distress they are experiencing. *

*this is mostly on the child/adolescent unit. I get, as stated above, that patients can develop insight into their hallucinations but that usually takes time and so would be expected mostly from older patients.
Does this imply that the end mechanisms by which the brain perceives sound is different in hallucinations than when the cause of hearing is acoustic?

Since mental ******ation is now wrong, I have a suggestion that doesn’t focus on the lack of IQ like cognitive deficit or intellectually limited. How about “genius challenged”, or “doesn’t suffer from fits of brilliance”. Perhaps, “voted least likely to say something profound”. Take that you PC police.
:thinking:

Would "learning differences" do or is that only for learning disorders?

It's important to adopt a language that children can understand. Children also have concrete thinking which is a normal part of their development until they can think more abstractly.

Most people who are asked the question "are you hearing voices?" can think abstractly enough to understand that that interviewer is implying voices that others cannot hear. It wouldn't make sense at all to be asked if you hear the interviewers voice or other people's voices when the interviewer is clearly having a dialogue with you.

Some adults with schizophrenia have concrete thinking which will require you to ask questions in different ways. It is also part of the reason why they may be sometimes described as "child-like". Everything is so narrow and literal for them that it may feel like your are communicating with a 6 year old.

I suspect your annoyance stems from staffs lack of understand of this. Consider having an educational rounds on this topic to train them.

Reactions: 1 user
...(realised the question had already been answered, doh!)

Last edited:
"Chemical imbalance."
Does anyone in psychiatry actually use this term? It seems to me the only people who use it are anti-psychiatry people accusing psychiatrists of (wrongly) claiming mental illness is the result of a "chemical imbalance."

I nominate "the spectrum," as in "he's on the spectrum," meaning autism spectrum disorders.

Does anyone in psychiatry actually use this term? It seems to me the only people who use it are anti-psychiatry people accusing psychiatrists of (wrongly) claiming mental illness is the result of a "chemical imbalance."

I nominate "the spectrum," as in "he's on the spectrum," meaning autism spectrum disorders.

Ugh, yes, hate the term "the spectrum" when applied to Autism Spectrum Disorders. My nephew is not 'on the spectrum', he has an Autism Spectrum Disorder. To me it's the ASD equivalent of saying someone had a 'nervous breakdown' because you don't actually want to come out and say what's wrong or different about someone so it's easier to just plaster over it with euphemistic terms like 'Oh he's on the spectrum'.

no people often recognize they are hallucinating. This is particularly the case in organic disease (for example large proportion of PD/LBD patients with visual hallucinations recognize the visual hallucinations are not real but they see them. Similarly patients with Charles Bonnet syndrome typically recognize they are hallucinating. In these groups of pts it is only if there is significant cognitive impairment or the "jumping to conclusions" reasoning bias where they have a particular cognitive style of making assumptions with little evidence that they are experienced as real. Even patients with psychiatric disorders like chronic schizophrenia who know they have psychotic illness may hear voices and recognize these as part of their illness. Psychologists will often not regard these individuals as psychotic though psychiatrists typically regard patients experience perceptual distortions/anomalous experiences as psychotic even when insight is preserved.
Even before questioning if they have insight is just asking if they really are hallucinations. Children, malingerers, and frankly people who just don't understand the question get misdiagnosed as psychotic all the time. Sometimes they're mislabeling thoughts as voices, because no one asked a follow-up question. Asking if they hear it with their ears, as well as other phenomenological questions can help discriminate in some cases.

Personally I've heard a bit too much of "I never get anything done, I must have ADD."

"Med check" irks me. also being called a "Prescriber."

and med management.

no other medical specialty uses the term. makes us sounds like pharmacists. med management is what they do.
Same as psychiatrists who describe themselves as "psychopharmacologists." As if we all don't do that.

I interpret it as "I'm a psychiatrist that doesn't know how to do therapy." My own bias, of course.

Reactions: 3 users
Does this imply that the end mechanisms by which the brain perceives sound is different in hallucinations than when the cause of hearing is acoustic?
They have done brain scans during hallucinations, and I believe that the areas that light up are the areas involved in hearing and also the areas involved in speaking, but I could be wrong. This doesn't quite answer what you're asking, but hopefully it gets you what you want: when someone has an auditory hallucination, they experience it just as if they were hearing a real sound generated from outsider their head.

I had a depressed kid recently and her father was very against medications. In trying to convince him that what his daughter was experiencing was depression and not just being upset at a breakup, and that therefore medication was reasonable, my attending claimed that the patient had a chemical imbalance in her brain. It made me so sad. I don't know if my attending actually believes it or just didn't know how else to explain the situation.

They have done brain scans during hallucinations, and I believe that the areas that light up are the areas involved in hearing and also the areas involved in speaking, but I could be wrong. This doesn't quite answer what you're asking, but hopefully it gets you what you want: when someone has an auditory hallucination, they experience it just as if they were hearing a real sound generated from outsider their head.
'
Thanks, and yes, that's exactly what I was asking--whether the "end" mechanisms and perceptions are the same or not, or experienced in the same way. That is interesting. So it makes hallucinations more in the same area as what I would typically think of as neurological disorders, like perceiving a phantom limb (I don't really know enough about neurology to think of a good example, but basically something else where it's very cut and dry that the brain is receiving the wrong message). Having said that, it's always seemed that the distinction between psychiatry and neurology is blurry, so I don't say what I did to make it seem as if it should be in the field of neurology, only that it seems like something I've seen in that field. Another more clear cut example would perhaps be double vision, which can be caused by a tumor. It makes me wonder if you could call double vision a very primitive form of a hallucination, whereas auditory and other types of visual hallucinations are more complex in some way.

'
Thanks, and yes, that's exactly what I was asking--whether the "end" mechanisms and perceptions are the same or not, or experienced in the same way. That is interesting. So it makes hallucinations more in the same area as what I would typically think of as neurological disorders, like perceiving a phantom limb (I don't really know enough about neurology to think of a good example, but basically something else where it's very cut and dry that the brain is receiving the wrong message). Having said that, it's always seemed that the distinction between psychiatry and neurology is blurry, so I don't say what I did to make it seem as if it should be in the field of neurology, only that it seems like something I've seen in that field. Another more clear cut example would perhaps be double vision, which can be caused by a tumor. It makes me wonder if you could call double vision a very primitive form of a hallucination, whereas auditory and other types of visual hallucinations are more complex in some way.

I've said before that true hallucinations (for want of a better term) have a very different quality to them than something like an illusion or 'pseudohallucination'. It's one of those things that is really hard to describe, and saying it just 'feel's different isn't exactly the correct terminology, but there is a difference of experience there. Now what that translates to neurological wise I don't know, but like hamstergang said the perception of something like an auditory hallucination is no different to hearing any other sound outside of your head.

Even before questioning if they have insight is just asking if they really are hallucinations. Children, malingerers, and frankly people who just don't understand the question get misdiagnosed as psychotic all the time. Sometimes they're mislabeling thoughts as voices, because no one asked a follow-up question. Asking if they hear it with their ears, as well as other phenomenological questions can help discriminate in some cases.

Personally I've heard a bit too much of "I never get anything done, I must have ADD."
Maybe I'm just a little more, but, I ask the patients, "are you hearing voices?" If they are being cute, or dopey, and say that they hear my voice, I become more specific. But, then, if they say "yes", I first ask if the voices are talking about them, or to them. Then, I ask if they can understand what the voices are saying. As the fellow above said, the MRIs show that their auditory centers ARE hearing something.

Oh well. Better safe than sorry!

Maybe I'm just a little more, but, I ask the patients, "are you hearing voices?" If they are being cute, or dopey, and say that they hear my voice, I become more specific. But, then, if they say "yes", I first ask if the voices are talking about them, or to them. Then, I ask if they can understand what the voices are saying. As the fellow above said, the MRIs show that their auditory centers ARE hearing something.

Oh well. Better safe than sorry!

Bear in mind though that not all auditory hallucinations are voice or speech based. If you ask someone 'are you hearing voices' and they answer 'no' it doesn't necessarily mean they're not still experiencing an auditory hallucination. I suppose the question then becomes how do you word the question to cover a broader base, especially if a patient isn't necessarily going to understand what you mean if you just ask 'are you experiencing any auditory hallucinations right now'.

Interesting article on the mechanism of visual hallucinations in psychosis compared to other neurobiological/eye disease type hallucinations.

"VHs in psychosis most closely resemble VH in neurodegeneration, and the association of auditory and VHs in these conditions suggests the 2 modalities of hallucination share a common pathophysiological mechanism. Dysfunctions in attentional and executive/top-down mechanisms are also common in both neurodegenerative and psychotic conditions, as are occipital cortex and HC involvement during hallucinations.

However, the differing predominance of auditory and visual modalities in neurodegenerative disease and psychosis, the phenomenological differences at the levels of emotional reactions and appraisals, and the differing dysconnectivity and visual processing profiles suggest there are also important differences. Perhaps the same pathological mechanism has differential effects on the visual and auditory systems in psychosis and neurodegenerative disease, depending on the presence/absence of specific co-occurring sensory dysfunctions. Such comparative insights have potentially important implications for treating VH as they provide a rationale for importing approaches found effective in one clinical context to another."

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/Suppl_4/S233.full

A former boss used it. I could hear her saying it in her office. Drove me crazy. I called her on it once. She said she knew it was wrong, but felt it was a useful concept for patients. I disagreed. It wasn't the only thing we disagreed on though. I've also had patients say they've been told by former psychiatrists, "Psychotherapy won't work for me because I have a chemical imbalance. We just need to find the right med."

Lots of great stuff in this thread. I found myself nodding a lot. "Bipolar" is definitely right up there. As in, "My sister is so bipolar. One minute she's fine and the next minute she's screaming her head off." I always try to reframe it. "Sounds like she's pretty irritable." Lots of diagnoses used this way. OCD is a big one as mentioned. [Like I was just home for the weekend and my mother wanted me to see her closet, "I'm so OCD!" she announced. "No, mom," I said. "You're just really organized."] And ADD. And if I hear "Squirrel!" used as an example one more time, I might lose it. (And I love Up. And golden retrievers.)

Also when people "eat" their medicines. "I hate going to my folks' for Christmas, but that's okay. I'll just eat a couple Xanax." Red flag.

Last edited:
Lots of great stuff in this thread. I found myself nodding a lot. "Bipolar" is definitely right up there. As in, "My sister is so bipolar. One minute she's fine and the next minute she's screaming her head off." I always try to reframe it. "Sounds like she's pretty irritable." Lots of diagnoses used this way. OCD is a big one as mentioned. [Like I was just home for the weekend and my mother wanted me to see her closet, "I'm so OCD!" she announced. "No, mom," I said. "You're just really organized."] And ADD. And if I hear "Squirrel!" used as an example one more time, I might lose it. (And I love Up. And golden retrievers.)

I'll add 'He/She is so Schizophrenic' to that list, as in 'Omg my friend can never make up her mind about anything, she's so schizophrenic sometimes' or 'My brother gets so moody it's like he's a completely different person, he can be so Schizophrenic'.

:smack:

I'll add 'He/She is so Schizophrenic' to that list, as in 'Omg my friend can never make up her mind about anything, she's so schizophrenic sometimes' or 'My brother gets so moody it's like he's a completely different person, he can be so Schizophrenic'.

:smack:

I don't hear that one very much, thankfully. Though the other day I had a lady tell me she was hallucinating. It turns out she was just having really vivid unpleasant nightmares.

Having said that, when patients come in wanting to tell me about and talk to their different personalities, I know it's going to be a haul. (And I used to believe in DID. Did a whole Grand Rounds on it. Now I'm more of the opinion that in the vast majority of cases it's a learned behavior fostered by previous treatment providers that patients have realized can be used to get away with stuff.)

Last edited:
I don't hear that one very much, thankfully. Though the other day I had a lady tell me she was hallucinating. It turns out she was just having really vivid unpleasant nightmares.

Having said that, when patient's come in wanting to tell me about and talk to their different personalities, I know it's going to be a haul. (And I used to believe in DID. Did a whole Grand Rounds on it. Now I'm more of the opinion that in the vast majority of cases it's a learned behavior fostered by previous treatment providers that patients have realized can be used to get away with stuff.)

That is one thing that's always baffled me, patients that can just walk in to a session and announce their hallucinations. Obviously it's a bit different for me now that I've been seeing the same Psychiatrist for 5 years or so, but getting me to talk about any hallucinations I might be having (or have had) during an initial assessment type situation is something akin to trying to get blood out of a stone. Even after that initial point it's still not a subject of discussion I'm exactly thrilled to be talking about either.

As for DID, my layperson's opinion is that while I do believe it exists it is grossly overdiagnosed and more often than not seen in patients with high levels of suggestability who have previously been exposed to some questionable therapeutic techniques.

I don't completely disbelieve in it. But my index of suspicion is veeeeeerrrrryyyyy high. There is usually some sort of questionable provider somewhere. I knew one once who honestly believed that Bipolar disorder and ADHD were just "misdiagnosed DID." See the switching of affective states in bipolar were the different alters and when people couldn't focus, they were dissociating.

I also don't like it when patients use their supposed PTSD as a reason people need to treat them differently. "So and so should know I'm post-tramautic and not do X thing I find fault with."

I mean yeah, you shouldn't sneak up on someone with PTSD and clap your hands loudly behind their head just to be a dick. And being considerate is super nice in general. But thinking you can go through life expecting people to treat you with kid gloves just because you have a diagnosis grates on me. And oftentimes, I think the people who do that don't actually have the diagnosis anyway. They just like being treated like snowflakes and talking about "trigger warnings".

Wow. I am G-R-U-M-P-Y this morning. Stupid credentialing paperwork. I really am a nice person. Really. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't completely disbelieve in it. But my index of suspicion is veeeeeerrrrryyyyy high. There is usually some sort of questionable provider somewhere. I knew one once who honestly believed that Bipolar disorder and ADHD were just "misdiagnosed DID." See the switching of affective states in bipolar were the different alters and when people couldn't focus, they were dissociating.

I also don't like it when patients use their supposed PTSD as a reason people need to treat them differently. "So and so should know I'm post-tramautic and not do X thing I find fault with."

I mean yeah, you shouldn't sneak up on someone with PTSD and clap your hands loudly behind their head just to be a dick. And being considerate is super nice in general. But thinking you can go through life expecting people to treat you with kid gloves just because you have a diagnosis grates on me. And oftentimes, I think the people who do that don't actually have the diagnosis anyway. They just like being treated like snowflakes and talking about "trigger warnings".

Wow. I am G-R-U-M-P-Y this morning. Stupid credentialing paperwork. :)

I don't think feeling annoyed or frustrated with entitled behaviour from any patient population is being grumpy, I think it's very understandable. And yes there is a huge difference between expecting some basic consideration and/or understanding regarding certain difficulties you might have, and acting like the entire world has to revolve around your precious self.