What would adcom say about my mcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tech Support

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With that high of a CARS score it look like you just didn't study enough content.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the same score I got. 85+ on cars and psych and i totally bombed bio and got a 508. FWIW I have received 5 II but I live in TX so YMMV.
I did talk to a couple of med students and they said if you do want to mess up on anything it would be bio, esp if youre a bio related major (i am)
because your grades might make up for it but I don't know for sure!

Scoring a 30 equivalent by winging it is a strong feat. It would only mean that with 2-3 months prep, you can easily break 520+.
eh, no guarantee of that. I took the old MCAT practice test with no studying and got PS 8 BS 8 VR 12, so similar to OP. Took the real thing after studying and CARS was still significantly higher than sciences. I think OP is one of those rare types that find CARS to be the easiest section.
I'm sure he could improve if he wanted to, but saying that he could get 520+ just because of that CARS seems wishful

Reactions: 1 user
eh, no guarantee of that. I took the old MCAT practice test with no studying and got PS 8 BS 8 VR 12, so similar to OP. Took the real thing after studying and CARS was still significantly higher than sciences. I think OP is one of those rare types that find CARS to be the easiest section.
I'm sure he could improve if he wanted to, but saying that he could get 520+ just because of that CARS seems wishful
Need advice, should I retake it?

Either retake and don't "wing" one of the most important test of your life or apply if you haven't already and see if you get any II--if you do then said school must not think it is that big of a deal...

Plenty of similar threads posing questions on possible re-takes as well.

you dont know anything man, keep your childish comments to yourself.
He's right. You made a dumb decision based on what your parents said and were fortunate to get a high score. This is a 1/1000 story. Its your life, its your MCAT its your medical career.

Reactions: 1 users
you dont know anything man, keep your childish comments to yourself.

Or how about you grow up and don't rely on your parents making decisions for you. If you get into medical school are you going to have to call them for help on your step 1 exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Do your parents pay for your MCAT and tell you if you take it again, they won't help you pay for some apps or drive you to interviews because they think you'll do worse and that you should just sit with your score?

Mine did. A part of me wants to get in, another wants to not get in so I can retake the MCAT and get into better schools.

An Adcom might say "didn't you remember anything from your Bio courses??

And no, the CARs will not balance it out. We place the highest emphasis among the subsections on Bio.

but can my CARS section outweigh how poorly I did on biology/biochemistry. I did get an A in biochem and in numerous biology courses if that's even relevant.. What would ADCOM think about a score like this?

Look, you're an adult. You're old enough to vote, drink, drive, work, pays taxes, and fight and die for your country. You're old enough to grow a spine and tell your parents that they're doing enormous damage to your medical career with their unrealistic demands, and if they ever want you to be a doctor, that you'll do this process on your time.

It can be disastrous to take a career-deciding, high stakes exam when you're not ready, as you have shown.

Honestly I was freaking out before taking it knowing I hadn't done worth **** to prepare for it. I was going to void my exam and tell my parents I didn't feel comfortable getting it scored but they pretty much told me they expected a score and I knew I was going to be in big trouble if I had nothing to show them. I went with it and prayed for a miracle. In hindsight I should have studied and now I wouldn't be so disappointed in myself for ****ing up.

Tech Support, Yesterday at 11:33 PM Report

Reactions: 2 users
127 on Chem/Phys 79%
130 on CARS 97%
125 on Biology/Biochem 54 % (ouch lol)
126 on Psych 66%
508 overal 77th percentile

so yeah its unbalanced but can my CARS section outweigh how poorly I did on biology/biochemistry. I did get an A in biochem and in numerous biology courses if that's even relevant.. What would ADCOM think about a score like this?

I've heard that some view Biology/Biochem as the most important section.
Based on what goro just said, that at his school they place the highest emphasis among the subsections on Bio, I would probably re-take it and work on improving in the Biology/Biochem section.
Your score being ~30 on the old exam is still good though. If you work on the bio you could end up with an amazing score

I've heard that some view Biology/Biochem as the most important section.
Based on what goro just said, that at his school they place the highest emphasis among the subsections on Bio, I would probably re-take it and work on improving in the Biology/Biochem section.
Your score being ~30 on the old exam is still good though. If you work on the bio you could end up with an amazing score
I'd be interested to hear other adcom's opinions on what subsection they consider the most. @gyngyn @LizzyM

Reactions: 1 users