What would cause a school to rescind their acceptance offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentist_T

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I got accepted into my top dental school and I know all offers of acceptance are technically "conditional"
I have a situation that I am rather concerned about and it has to do with one of my volunteering stints so I could use some advice.

back in may 2020 I signed up to be a counselor for Crisis Text Line. At the time of the application I had done about 35 hours of training and took a couple of shifts. In my AADSAS app the exact words I used when I talked about I said that I told them the hours I completed thus far and said that 'i would continue as long as I am able'

WELLLLL I am no longer able to continue. Like I physically and emotionally can't take it anymore. I have PTSD and month after month of navigating really triggering topics have taken their toll.

So herein lies the issue: I don't know if y'all are familiar with CTL but CTL has a "volunteer hour commitment" of 200 hours. I have currently about 100, which I am super proud of, but I need to quit for my own sanity. I am worried that if the schools contacted my reference that they would find out I didn't meet their commitment? And therefore have doubts about me and rescind my acceptance?

However I did not once mention in my AADSAS app about the 200 hour commitment. As far as the schools are concerned I have just done 35 hours. I was also thinking about not updating the schools about the new hours I did complete.

So bottom line: Would the schools even bother checking references at this point anyway? If they did would they rescind my offer? Would I have a chance to explain? Am I seriously overthinking this?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all of this, and for all of your advice and help!

PS. everyone please feel free to use this thread to discuss your own concerns and questions!

Members don't see this ad.

You’re probably in the clear. But jeez, if all you need to work is 100 more hours to meet requirement, my thoughts are just do it... you do not have ptsd
That's good to hear!

But just to clarify I actually I do. I am a survivor of rape. So yeah I have PTSD
If i could "just do it" I would have already done it and this would be a non-issue?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Well actually I do. I am a survivor of rape. So yeah I have PTSD
Oh I misunderstood your post. If it’s not a school requirement, then your acceptance is not contingent on it. Yes, you can quit without fear of the school resending the offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re good.. i‘m fairly certain schools do not reach out to volunteer supervisors as that would be way to much work on their end.. 100hours of volunteering is probably way more then most people have anyways. I had 80 total. But don’t sweat it! If you’ve been accepted then you’re in the clear

Oh I misunderstood your post. If it’s not a school requirement, then your acceptance is not contingent on it. Yes, you can quit without fear of the school resending the offer.
Hey no worries! Just wanted to clarify why its so hard to continue :)

See that's what I figured? Like I could understand them rejecting if their acceptance was contingent on the fact that I promised a certain number of hours... which I didn't, so should be fine? lol

You’re good.. i‘m fairly certain schools do not reach out to volunteer supervisors as that would be way to much work on their end.. 100hours of volunteering is probably way more then most people have anyways. I had 80 total. But don’t sweat it! If you’ve been accepted then you’re in the clear

Awesome! I mean I figure its too much for them to check just in general, even before they interview people. I just overly worry because it's an unknown that I can't control. But! Luckily I have collected many other volunteering hours over the years, close to 300ish? I've never totaled it lol
plus I have another ongoing volunteering stint at project cure so I should have my bases covered? In theory? lol

I dunno... I am certain I am just overthinking things so thank you both for your comments and reassurances :)

Hey no worries! Just wanted to clarify why its so hard to continue :)

See that's what I figured? Like I could understand them rejecting if their acceptance was contingent on the fact that I promised a certain number of hours... which I didn't, so should be fine? lol

Awesome! I mean I figure its too much for them to check just in general, even before they interview people. I just overly worry because it's an unknown that I can't control. But! Luckily I have collected many other volunteering hours over the years, close to 300ish? I've never totaled it lol
plus I have another ongoing volunteering stint at project cure so I should have my bases covered? In theory? lol

I dunno... I am certain I am just overthinking things so thank you both for your comments and reassurances :)
You’re good:) don’t worry about it!

Reactions: 1 user
Dont worry at all, schools dont have the time to check every single detail on your app.Those things can only come up during your interview and thats it.

Hey girl! Yeah I say do not sweat it... at all. It is so unlikely the school would reach out somewhere where you did 35 hours anyway. And if they did, you could explain why you stopped. You weren't dishonest on your app, and the organization could certainly not suggest you didn't volunteer there AT ALL if you just didn't meet their 200 hour requirement.

@Dr.Deadpool97
@nontradsingerperson
@2thDoc11
@S_Diamond_DDS

Thank you all so much for your reassurance!!!
I feel soooo much better about it now.

Seriously, I've been agonizing over this for a while feeling stuck and trapped, but thanks to all of you I feel really empowered now to just do what I need to do!

So thank you :happy:

I agree with all the others. We had an 'honors' college at my undergrad that I was a part of, you had to complete a thesis for your UG, and do a bunch of extra stuff in school, and they charged extra tuition for that too. I dropped out of the honors college the day I got my dental school acceptance letter and nothing happened.

just drop it if it is stressing you out. You wanna be mentally strong and focused going into D1. 99% sure they wouldn't even notice or care.