What would they do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still pretty interested in a combined FP/Psych residency, but I was curious as to what the Army would do with such a doctor? Would they put him in whichever role is in most demand (I presume that would be psych). What is life in the Army like for a psychiatrist? I know it sucks for FPs.

Members don't see this ad.

This is for usaf

After the 5 year residency, you are required to pay back the 1st assignment as a psychiatrist, usually lasting 2-3 years

"Graduates from this program will serve their first assignment as a Psychiatrist. However, we fully expect that our graduates will practice part-time Family Practice while serving in a Psychiatric position. We also expect our graduates to become Board Certified in both specialties. After their first assignment, graduates may pursue either Family Practice or Psychiatry depending on their own career goals and interests."
(above taken from http://www.mgmc.af.mil/fp-psych/applicant.htm )

btw, the Air Force had 0 slots for this program, and 0 matched into the program, so i am unsure whether or not the residency still exists. BRAC has really shaken things up over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's hilarious. Not only is the Air Force going to make you work full time as a Psychiatrist (who knows how many hours), but you ALSO have to work part time as an FP??? Sounds like a great deal for them. They're using one physician to fill 1.5 -2 physician jobs.

delicatefade said:
That's hilarious. Not only is the Air Force going to make you work full time as a Psychiatrist (who knows how many hours), but you ALSO have to work part time as an FP??? Sounds like a great deal for them. They're using one physician to fill 1.5 -2 physician jobs.

Im looking into med-psych and per the residents in that program, first assignment is Psych, afterwards it varies, buts it always one or the other.

delicatefade said:

That's not quite how it works. Ironically enough, last week I was talking with one of the docs that went through this program. She said that you do the psych rotation after residency because psych is the one sponsoring (paying) the residency. She is currently being utilized as a physchiatrist with additional training as a FP doc. That means that during her 30-60 minute appointments, she has time to sort through some of the psych problems and also deal with the comorbid medical conditions that often accompany them. She said that she feels much more comfortable dealing with these medical problems than some of her other only psych trained docs. When asked about what he next slot would be (psych or FP), she implied that she had a great deal of choice in which one she would do. She said that psych, her days were more flexible with more ability to schedule longer appointments if necessary. With FP, she said the day is much more structured with appointments that are 15 minutes long. If you need more time with the patient, you schedule another 15 minute appt. That sounds bad, but from what I've heard, that's more than most civilian FP docs get. She also confirmed that the Army is the only service that currently has the program (one in D.C. and one at Tripler). It sounds like a good program if that's what you're interested in. There are obvious benefits to being a FP trained in psych considering about 50-60% of the psych patients in this country are seen by primary care docs. Hope this helps.

HooahDOc said:
Any indication regarding how competitive the Army's program is? Do they give civ deferrments for the combined program?

1. Don't know. 2. Probably not since it's such a small program without a definitive need.

I was told that the combined programs do not receive deferments for civ combined programs.