What would you do? (offer from undesirable location)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeawish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation.
1. Unemployed for more than 1 year after graduation, 2012. (Honestly, I'm working as a prn pharmacist, but don't work very often.)
2. Had job interviews more than 20 times in last 1 year, but no offer at all. They sometimes said that I am qualified but have too soft personality to do the retail job. :(
3. Live in and licensed in highly saturated area. (NJ-PA)
4. Have two little kids. (One of them attend school.)

AND, I got an offer from one of the big chain pharmacy located in highly undesirable city (in the middle of the U.S. with about 20,000 of city population) with $30,000 sign on bonus. What would you do if you were in my situation?
Is it possible to transfer to other cities in next few years?
I am tired of applying and interviewing, and really want to accept this offer, but I am so so SO worried about my family. :( We might become a long-distance family for a while.
Please advise me! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need the money and it will have a positive impact on your life to have the money, then yeah do it and work there until you get an offer back in your home state. The longer you stay unemployed, the harder it gets to get a job too.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to know how bad of a town or job it is for them to be offering a $30,000 sign on bonus. You truly can't put a price on watching your kids grow up, I don't know if I could do it without moving the whole family. Is it possible to get a 7 on 7 off arrangement or something where you can be home for long periods of time?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Prayerfully so, you undertook getting an education, to make a better life for your children. Check.
2. Now the job hunt starts. Check.
3. You received the job offer. Check.
The problem is you don't want to relocate, even with a HUGE sign on bonus. EWWW!!!! Refer to number 1.

If your appearance/demeanor is too 'soft' for the urban area. Being told that, might be a blessing in disguise, NOT to work there.
Otherwise, get a 'butch' haircut, wear strong looking clothes and take up martial arts to 'toughen' you up.

I would be careful with sign on bonuses. They are meant to make you stay longer than you wanted.

For example, CVS gives you $30 k. Let's say 30% of it goes to taxes so that is $21 k left over. You then spend some money on an apt, on your student loans, on a car. A year or so later you finally had enough or there is an opportunity but you can't just pick up and leave. You have to return the $30 k in full to CVS in a certain time frame (I think you also get your paid taxes back at a later time as well) so unless you have already saved up $30 k, you are stuck.

I would be careful with sign on bonuses. They are meant to make you stay longer than you wanted.

For example, CVS gives you $30 k. Let's say 30% of it goes to taxes so that is $21 k left over. You then spend some money on an apt, on your student loans, on a car. A year or so later you finally had enough or there is an opportunity but you can't just pick up and leave. You have to return the $30 k in full to CVS in a certain time frame (I think you also get your paid taxes back at a later time as well) so unless you have already saved up $30 k, you are stuck.
I have never seen a sign on bonus that requires more than 1 year of service. Read before you sign. They may also pay moving expenses. If not, the 20K will pay for the move and some left over to find place to live...

I know people who have signed with CVS for 3 years.

If you are going to do this, ask them to give you money for moving expenses instead and make sure there is no clause. Make sure they give you the check before the end of this year since you only worked per diem this year so your tax obligation is minimal.

Tough choice but you must decide soon. The class of 2014 will be graduating soon.

If the chain has locations where you want to be, you can probably do your time there and then transfer where you really want to be.

I would take the job if you're the only income earner of your household.

Kid being in school... eh.. kids can move and adjust just fine. Sometimes we American parents put so much emphasis on childrens lives that they forget to advance their own life. You'd be doing your family more good by having a productive career....if increase in income is a factor.

Then again...just my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
I had pharmacists quit before their contract and get to keep $30k, just because the boss also forgot about it... LOL. It was nice.

Thank you for all of your advices! I've just sent email to ask to the manager if there's any commitment period & any relocation assistance available.
If I were a single, I would accept the offer right away. I am sooo exhausted. :zombie::vomit:
BMBiology, exactly. "The class of 2014 will be graduating soon." -> this makes me so anxious.
SoylentGreen, yes. This chain is everywhere, and I hope I can transfer back to my area in near future. :xf:

I would take the job if you're the only income earner of your household.

Kid being in school... eh.. kids can move and adjust just fine. Sometimes we American parents put so much emphasis on childrens lives that they forget to advance their own life. You'd be doing your family more good by having a productive career....if increase in income is a factor.

Then again...just my opinion.

Even if I am not the only income source, I need some kind of fixed income to pay off all the bills and loans. :( I hope I can find any good schools for them.

You are in a tough spot but I don't think it is going to get any better soon so I would take it. Of course, I don't have any kids so you have concerns that I do not have.

Sometimes things just worked out. It just takes time. Wish you and your kids the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I will take the offer and I have two kids as well. Sometimes, those small cities are best for raising kids. just make sure you have arrangement on how they get to school and back especially when you are working late. You can hire a nanny.

Here's my situation.
1. Unemployed for more than 1 year after graduation, 2012. (Honestly, I'm working as a prn pharmacist, but don't work very often.)
2. Had job interviews more than 20 times in last 1 year, but no offer at all. They sometimes said that I am qualified but have too soft personality to do the retail job. :(

AND, I got an offer from one of the big chain pharmacy located in highly undesirable city (in the middle of the U.S. with about 20,000 of city population) with $30,000 sign on bonus. What would you do if you were in my situation?
I am tired of applying and interviewing, and really want to accept this offer, but I am so so SO worried about my family. :( We might become a long-distance family for a while.

What option do you have?

Why does everyone think living in a small city in the midwest is undesirable? I can't think of anything more horrible than living in a big city back east somewhere. I hope I never have to step foot in New York or New Jersey.

What option do you have?

Why does everyone think living in a small city in the midwest is undesirable? I can't think of anything more horrible than living in a big city back east somewhere. I hope I never have to step foot in New York or New Jersey.

That's sort of what I was thinking but I'm a midwesterner so hey, whatever.

The first time I read through the post, I thought by undesirable she meant something like inner city ghetto where her kids would be in constant danger. Then I realized she just meant midwest.

We have two kids 5 and 7 and we are moving in the late spring, so I feel your pain. I would take the job and move my family there. If it is midwest you should be able to afford a nice home and the schools should be fine. Being under the stress of not having a job would be hard to manage. For reference we just got a $1600 quote today for movers for a 2000 mile move. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the offer (whether you take it or not)!

what do you mean you're too soft? You can't tell patients to how it is?

That's sort of what I was thinking but I'm a midwesterner so hey, whatever.

The first time I read through the post, I thought by undesirable she meant something like inner city ghetto where her kids would be in constant danger. Then I realized she just meant midwest.
I wondered the same. But on re-reading, I can't help but wonder if s/he really does mean some super sketchy town of 20,000.

Best stay away from the midwest. Those people are awful....nice.

Actually, judging from the post, I really don't think this job is for the poster. She's clearly not happy about it. I think sticking to the east coast might be best.

I am sorry if it sounded "midwestern is bad". It's just too far from my area and I need to move to more than 1,500 miles away. I should have said "undesirable situation" instead.
I've never lived in such a small town before, so it might take some time to adjust myself. I am so spoiled.:(

Walgreen's 30k sign on bonus has a 3 year commitment.

Trust me from personnel experience if you leave before your commitment is up they will eventually catch up with you.

I am sorry if it sounded "midwestern is bad". It's just too far from my area and I need to move to more than 1,500 miles away. I should have said "undesirable situation" instead.
I've never lived in such a small town before, so it might take some time to adjust myself. I am so spoiled.:(

If that is the case, make sure you understand the length of the commitment. It's critical or you could find yourself paying this back and needing an accountant to figure your taxes. That being said. If this is a big company, run and take this job. You can always transfer back closer to home once you are in the company for a while. I live in a big city and I like that. But I have vacation home in a small town and I could easily see myself living there. There are many advantages to a small town. So if the area is desirable you need to grab this job before they start charging you to get the job and not the other way around....

Something to check on also.
A newly minted pharmacist, that relocated to my area, with a sign on bonus. His hourly rate is $21 less, than his partner pharmacist, in the same store. He gets $44/hour, the other staff pharmacist, with 6 years experience, is getting $65/hour. While I'm honored that they feel the need to boast about their hourly rate, to me. Seems they should share that information with each other, and use it to leverage their earnings potential. If the kid getting the $44/hour, wasn't such an insufferable arse, I would share what his partners rate was. Since neither shared their hourly rate with me in confidence, or swore me to secrecy, I would have no problem informing him of his salary deficiency. The younger pharmacist, with an unchecked ego, had no reason to deflate his hourly rate to me. If anything I would think he'd inflate it. Since he and his partner pharmacist are locked in this ultimate hate contest, as are the nine other pharmacists I've enjoyed working with since rejoining the profession in May, they would never discuss hourly rates amongst themselves. Foolish.
Because these newer pharmacists think they can negotiate the 'best deal' on their own, they wind up losing out. Befriend your partner pharmacists. Stop pretending you are somehow more than they are, and you'll enjoy greater benefits and salaries.
I know it's hard to ask what an employer is paying the other pharmacists in the area, but the sign on bonus may not be worth it in the end.
Good luck.

Old timer, yes it is a big company, and the stores are everywhere. My concern is how easy or difficult to be transfered to other city is?
Opinionfree, I am pretty happy with my hourly pay I offered from the company. It's about $5-6 more hourly rate than here. I think PA is one of the lowest pharmacist pay area.

I have some UPDATES. It's even more complicated.

I got another offer from a small rural hospital (100-bed size), and its location is not much different from the first one - small city (25,000 population) in different state. It also has signing bonus ($10,000) with 2- yr commitment and some relocation assistance.
Yes, I applied literally everywhere in the US in last two months. :(

I need to decide between the two, and my biggest concern is my future - after finishing the commitment. After 2-3 years, my family hope to move back to here. We have all the relatives and friends live here. I want to choose the one will give me smoother transition in the future. I really had hard time to get these offers, and want to make really really smart decision.

1. Retail
Pros: big company - stable system, stores're everywhere/ possibility to be transferred to my area (I don't know how easy it will be.)
Cons: how difficult the transfer to this area is gonna be???

2. Rural hospital
Pros: I can have hospital experience including clinical stuffs/ Better schedule (7 on 7 off with daytime shift)
Cons: small hospital - less structured system/ less salary (not a huge deal)/No possibility for transferring to my area, I need to do job-hunting from the beginning after 2 years :(/ I don't know how useful my 2 years of experience in a small hospital is going to be./

Career-wise, I prefer a hospital position, but I am really afraid that I might be the same situation as now after 2-3 years.
Which one looks better choice for me?
Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hey makeawish, just a few things:

1. I assume you already have license(s) in these states where you're getting these job offers? Just wondering.

2. Wow, $10,000 sign on bonus for a rural hospital?? That is crazy…not sure if that's normal. And 25,000 isn't even that small of a city really. It sort of makes me wonder about the hospital and the job (though my experience with job hunting and the pharmacy job market is minimal, so take that with a grain of salt).

Anyway, I think you should weigh what is most important to you, having a certain career or transferring back to your hometown. It sounds like living in your town is what is most important, in which case I think going with a major chain would be the better option over hospital.

Anyway, I think you should weigh what is most important to you, having a certain career or transferring back to your hometown.

I agree with this. As far as salaries go, bear in mind that the cost of living is significantly lower in midwestern small towns than it is on the East Coast. If/when you make the big move, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much farther your money goes.

Two years of experience in a small hospital might be better than you think - if it's a critical access hospital, you'll see a little of everything (at least, long enough to transfer the patient out). And if the small hospital is affiliated with a big hospital system, maybe you can get in PRN at one of the other hospitals in the system and diversify your skill set. If hospital is what you have your heart set on, I'd go with the hospital job since it's extremely difficult to get into hospital from retail.

Hey makeawish, just a few things:

1. I assume you already have license(s) in these states where you're getting these job offers? Just wondering.

2. Wow, $10,000 sign on bonus for a rural hospital?? That is crazy…not sure if that's normal. And 25,000 isn't even that small of a city really. It sort of makes me wonder about the hospital and the job (though my experience with job hunting and the pharmacy job market is minimal, so take that with a grain of salt).

Anyway, I think you should weigh what is most important to you, having a certain career or transferring back to your hometown. It sounds like living in your town is what is most important, in which case I think going with a major chain would be the better option over hospital.

1. No, I don't. They will give me some time to be licensed.

2. But, it's really small city. They worried that I might face culture shock.

I know. I need to decide between the career and transferability in the future. It's really tough. Thanks for your advice.

1. No, I don't. They will give me some time to be licensed.

2. But, it's really small city. They worried that I might face culture shock.

I know. I need to decide between the career and transferability in the future. It's really tough. Thanks for your advice.
It depends on your interests. Hospital and retail are very different. If you're looking to transfer I'd pick retail. Transferring or finding another hospital position without a residency will be tough even with experience. You need to get your foot in the door. Hopefully, this will open further doors. Best of luck!

It depends on your interests. Hospital and retail are very different. If you're looking to transfer I'd pick retail. Transferring or finding another hospital position without a residency will be tough even with experience. You need to get your foot in the door. Hopefully, this will open further doors. Best of luck!
Exactly. That's my biggest concern. Even if I am more interested in hospital career, it's really hard to pick because of the reason. I might not be able to find any hospital positions here after 2-3 years without residency. I know that these hospitals are now filling their staff pharmacists with persons with residency. :drowning:

Last edited:
And 25,000 isn't even that small of a city really.
I'm trying to gauge that, and I'm googling "population of..." random places around here, and that seems really small to me. Even suburbs have bigger populations. Is that number just counting the town limits, and then 1-2 miles away is another town that isn't included, or is that the entire metro (if you can call it that) area?

I'm trying to gauge that, and I'm googling "population of..." random places around here, and that seems really small to me. Even suburbs have bigger populations. Is that number just counting the town limits, and then 1-2 miles away is another town that isn't included, or is that the entire metro (if you can call it that) area?

It just depends on your perspective, I think. I lived in a major metro area before, so I can see how it would seem small to someone else from a different area of the country. And cities in the midwest tend to be far flung without much in between except farmland. However, I live in a rural town of 4,000 now without anything nearby…25,000 kind of sounds like a dream come true at this point.

Yes, it's not like suburban area. Even if 25,000 is the number for just the city, the population dencity of the surrounding area is very very low. I bet it's not just one of the midwestern city that many of you think of. It takes about 3-hour drive to get to one of the metro area.

Mustang sally, yes. Cities are so far from each other. I can't imagine a city of 4,000. Do you have any family there?

Last edited:
Yes, it's not like suburban area. Even if 25,000 is the number for just the city, the population dencity of the surrounding area is very very low. I bet it's not just one of the midwestern city that many of you think of. It takes about 3-hour drive to get to one of the metro area.

Mustang sally, yes. Cities are so far from each other. I can't imagine a city of 4,000. Do you have any family there?

Just my immediate family. But it's only about a three hour drive to my hometown, so it's easy enough to go home to see our families when we do have a chance. And it's about a one hour drive to anything that would be considered a metro area here.

Anyway, good luck to you! I have done a lot of moving over the last thirteen years and I know it's never easy, especially when you have to leave family far behind or move to a new part of the country that pretty much feels foreign.

25,000 is kind of on the small size but surely comfortable, especially if there is a metro area (ie pop. > 100k) within an hour or two drive. I grew up in a town of 15k and it was not too bad.

Now I'm living in a real city with a real metro area, (> 100k in the statistical area) and it feels pretty busy, can't imagine getting bored here ever!

Take it from a veteran of rural areas ... 25k is a metropolis compared to 5k or 10k. Imho that 25k mark is where a town/city starts to get actually interesting, especially if it is a hub for a surrounding region.

We plan to move to a place w probably 10-15k after getting more established. As long as I'm within an hour or so of the big city (50k pop.) I'll be happy.

Smaller is better! But if you've never lived outside a megalopolis before, anything < than say , 30,000 people is probably going to be a big culture shock.

As they say, beggars can't be choosers.. I was in the same situation like you. I graduated last year, found a job that was 200 miles away from the home in the middle on no-where and also a "challenging store", stayed there for a year and now I am back home.. The store where I am transferred to is even more 'challenging' than the previous one and has the lowest numbers in my market. It's always given: if you get offer too easily, you are probably always getting into a mess! That being said, you can't be picky in today's market. Grab the first opportunity you can get and there will always be a room for moving around.

In response to your questions, yes it is possible to transfer to other cities/market. The best way to get a transfer is do really well in your own store, get really good numbers, and show that you are a leader. If you are a superstar, most supervisors will want, and go out of the way to recruit you. On the other hand.. if you get crappy numbers..., supervisors will most likely not make the effort to transfer you in unless they have a "need".

Also... about the bonus. For CVS, there are more than one year commitments. I got 30k sign on for 2 years commitment. In addition, if you do a great job, and work a huge portion in your market..., you can leave your contract early without repaying the bonus back. It really depends on your supervisor and the HR business partner.

I have never seen a sign on bonus that requires more than 1 year of service. Read before you sign. They may also pay moving expenses. If not, the 20K will pay for the move and some left over to find place to live...

I had a 15K bonus with a 2-year commitment at my old job. I lasted 7 years before they kicked me to the curb (and, in the long run, did me a ginormous favor).

Makeawish, do you have a spouse or SO and if so, what would their employment prospects be in this area? I'm wondering what kind of hellhole is offering a bonus that big nowadays. Would you be willing to PM me the name of the town and the chain?

Walgreen's 30k sign on bonus has a 3 year commitment.

Trust me from personnel experience if you leave before your commitment is up they will eventually catch up with you.
I stupidly signed on for 3 years & took the bonus. Now, I regret it, everyday! What will happen if I quit? Will they send me to collections or sue? Or will I get the chance to pay them back before they send me to collections?

I stupidly signed on for 3 years & took the bonus. Now, I regret it, everyday! What will happen if I quit? Will they send me to collections or sue? Or will I get the chance to pay them back before they send me to collections?

I'd read over the sign-on bonus contract that they should have sent you. I'd imagine it'd stipulate you'd have to pay back the 30k and they'd probably give you a way to pay them back.

Do note that this would probably mean that they would no longer be viable references for you. Also, you're going to essentially going be double taxed on the 30k you're giving back.

If you signed on with the major chains, absolutely they will NOT send you to collections before giving you an open and honest opportunity to pay it back (that's something that has some major legal consequences in almost all states in terms of usury). "Open and honest" may be you have to come up with the money on the day you quit, that's a contract stipulation matter, but they must give you notice before writing a derogatory credit event. If you refuse to pay it back, then yeah, collections is not out of the question, but it's not likely that a lawsuit is necessary as your wages garnishment would work just as well.

I'm curious about the fate of the OP. I wonder if they fared well?

Last edited:
If you signed on with the major chains, absolutely they will NOT send you to collections before giving you an open and honest opportunity to pay it back (that's something that has some major legal consequences in almost all states in terms of usury). "Open and honest" may be you have to come up with the money on the day you quit, that's a contract stipulation matter, but they must give you notice before writing a derogatory credit event. If you refuse to pay it back, then yeah, collections is not out of the question, but it's not likely that a lawsuit is necessary as your wages garnishment would work just as well.

I'm curious about the fate of the OP. I wonder if they fared well?
Ugh I just feel so bad. What a dumb decision. I'm in enough debt as it is, because of school. But, I'm miserable! Idk what to do.

Where did this old thread come from? Too late to give advice to the OP, but if anyone is reading this.....if you are unemployed for over a year after graduation, then there is nothing to debate, you absolutely should take any pharmacist job offered you. Any pharmacist experience is better than no experience, and the longer one goes unemployed, the more likely one will continue to be unemployed.

As for sign-on bonus's only receiving 1 year commitment....I've send 4 & 5 year commitment advertised in the past, although that was a number of years ago. But as has been pointed out, the point of a bonus/sign-on commitment is to keep a person from leaving their job, when the employer has high-turnover and knows that most employees will want to leave that job. Something to keep in mind if considering an offer with a bonus/sign-on commitment and one that doesn't have one. Still, any pharmacist job is better than none, anyone unemployed for a year can't afford to be choosy and should readily accept whatever they are offered.

out of school I was offered 45k for 3 years (town in illinois) - so they USED to be possible.

I just realized your original thread was almost three years ago - so isn't your time about up? suck it up and finish it

25,000 is small? And I grew up with our closest neighbour being over a mile away

Last edited:
Here's my situation.

You have to move to bum---- nowhere. You can forget about seeing your mom or dad or any relatives for at least a decade. You know what you signed on for. If pharmacy was a worthwhile profession it would not have been so easy to get into school. There is literally zero demand for pharmacists in most major metros and this is only the beginning of saturation. The fact that you have been unable to find steady work in this easy environment spells terrible things to come for you once peak saturation comes in 2019. Switch to dental, PA or CRNA or another profession that isn't dying. Or (maybe more realistic for you since you have 2 children and no provider) find a husband that has a lot of money before you get too old and your ability to extract value from wealthy males decreases significantly. You should research target rich environments that have a disproportionate amount of wealthy males. San francisco metro has lots.