what's different between Pre-Pharmacy and Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im gonna graduate in this May,and im going to community college
Can anyone explain why some school have Pre-pharmacy as a "major",some school don't?
And also i hear people say just take the biochem major..
I wanna become a pharmacist,but i have no idea what should i do for my college path..
what university that good at Pre-pharmacy program around maryland, or CA?

Members don't see this ad.

Because Pre-Pharmacy is a designation in most cases and not a degree-granting program. You cannot major in 'Pre-Pharmacy,' nor can you get a BS in Pre-Pharmacy, it is simply a track to keep you on instead of being Undecided. Don't know what path to take? Look at schools requirements for admission into a pharmacy program and take those classes. Biochemistry generally has all the requirements you need to get into a pharmacy school.

Because Pre-Pharmacy is a designation in most cases and not a degree-granting program. You cannot major in 'Pre-Pharmacy,' nor can you get a BS in Pre-Pharmacy, it is simply a track to keep you on instead of being Undecided. Don't know what path to take? Look at schools requirements for admission into a pharmacy program and take those classes. Biochemistry generally has all the requirements you need to get into a pharmacy school.
how many year does Pre-pharmacy take?
Should i get the Bs degree before get in pharm school?

Looks like most of your questions could be answered by looking at the Pre-Pharm FAQs located here. That has a good overview of info.