What's up with all these doom and gloom posts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha if you work towards it for 7 years it's not called entitlement, its called your reward.
And I am telling you that reward that you speak of does not exist in reality, whether you did 4 years of school or 7.

People go where the jobs are. Some are lucky enough to find places they love where there are jobs. Most make some sort of sacrifice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Haha if you work towards it for 7 years it's not called entitlement, its called your reward.

That is not how the real world works, sorry to burst your bubble. Working for 7 years towards something gives you opportunities, not guarantees.

Reactions: 1 user
That is not how the real world works, sorry to burst your bubble. Working for 7 years towards something gives you opportunities, not guarantees.
I haven't ever posted on this whole jobs topic, but had to when I saw this. Probably the most accurate summation of my thoughts. Too many folks here emanate a sense of entitlement... even so far as to complain/fret at the possibility of having just 1-2 offers at the end of school. I understand being wary, worried, and inquisitive about the trends.. but citing stuff like "only 90% job placement" or "gone are the days of automatic 120+ salaries, we're getting squeezed" at least suggests a disconnect from reality. Even the hot fields have unemployment rates (not very high ones, but they have em).

And I'm in the electrical engineering field.. Even I have classmates who got laid off. Seriously, laid off. Other classmates who, while they are making good money (75-95k after about 5 years of work), some of them *gasp* don't like their jobs. Others feel overworked, or pigeon-holed. And the whole "you have to move to get a job" thing? There are some major cities where there is virtually no market for certain types of engineers/scientists. Having to move/expand is just a likely part of the deal of any type of adult who wants a job. One huge complaint you see from almost every engineer is the unspoken expectation that you become some sort of personnel or project manager. It's legitimately the reason many engineers leave jobs, or accept paycuts/salary freezes. Very few people become engineers with the intent of giving up 50-75% of there technical day-to-day to become a manager. Some love it and will sing the praises from a mountain top.

I'm not at all saying the engineering field is bad. It's just part of the real world, like every other one. Keep your radars primed and be smart with your decisions, but manage your expectations. There is no field with 100% placement in a great jobs with 100k+ for "only 4 years of work." You gotta put in the work/schooling.. then you have to bust your ass in the real market. If you get your license and find absolutely NO job in 6, 12 months? You're not in a majority. Not even close. You have the right to be frustrated with possibly having been misled by schools/marketing.. but that's a life lesson you were going to get no matter what you did in life.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Time out. This is getting ridiculous.

I never said that you are entitled to anything after working hard for 7 years. What I'm saying is it's unfair to pile on people who don't want to move to less desirable location. Hell when I started pharmacy school the market was a lot different than it is now, and the same if true for everyone that went to pharmacy school. School takes so much time that the market changes. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just don't think it unreasonable to expect to be able to work in a good area if you network and assert yourself. No, we are not guaranteed anything and I never meant to suggest that, but I don't think it's selfish to like the area where you work.

Time out. This is getting ridiculous.

I never said that you are entitled to anything after working hard for 7 years. What I'm saying is it's unfair to pile on people who don't want to move to less desirable location. Hell when I started pharmacy school the market was a lot different than it is now, and the same if true for everyone that went to pharmacy school. School takes so much time that the market changes. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just don't think it unreasonable to expect to be able to work in a good area if you network and assert yourself. No, we are not guaranteed anything and I never meant to suggest that, but I don't think it's selfish to like the area where you work.

You are completely contradicting yourself. You don't think people are entitled to the perfect area but also don't think they should have to move to find a job. Which is it?

It's not a contradiction. Feeling entitled to something is not the same as hoping your hard work will pay off. As I previously stated, I don't think its unreasonable to want to work in a good area. Even in the current market, if you have networked well and keep looking, you can find that job. I don't recall anyone saying they wouldn't move to an undesirable location, just that they don't want to. I do lots of things every day at my job that I don't want to do, but I do them anyway cause that's my job. If someone were to say, "I would never move to another location to take a job" then yes, I would be piling on with the rest of you and posting "this is what's wrong with kids these days, no one wants to work hard for the dough".

I haven't ever posted on this whole jobs topic, but had to when I saw this. Probably the most accurate summation of my thoughts. Too many folks here emanate a sense of entitlement... even so far as to complain/fret at the possibility of having just 1-2 offers at the end of school. I understand being wary, worried, and inquisitive about the trends.. but citing stuff like "only 90% job placement" or "gone are the days of automatic 120+ salaries, we're getting squeezed" at least suggests a disconnect from reality. Even the hot fields have unemployment rates (not very high ones, but they have em).

And I'm in the electrical engineering field.. Even I have classmates who got laid off. Seriously, laid off. Other classmates who, while they are making good money (75-95k after about 5 years of work), some of them *gasp* don't like their jobs. Others feel overworked, or pigeon-holed. And the whole "you have to move to get a job" thing? There are some major cities where there is virtually no market for certain types of engineers/scientists. Having to move/expand is just a likely part of the deal of any type of adult who wants a job. One huge complaint you see from almost every engineer is the unspoken expectation that you become some sort of personnel or project manager. It's legitimately the reason many engineers leave jobs, or accept paycuts/salary freezes. Very few people become engineers with the intent of giving up 50-75% of there technical day-to-day to become a manager. Some love it and will sing the praises from a mountain top.

I'm not at all saying the engineering field is bad. It's just part of the real world, like every other one. Keep your radars primed and be smart with your decisions, but manage your expectations. There is no field with 100% placement in a great jobs with 100k+ for "only 4 years of work." You gotta put in the work/schooling.. then you have to bust your ass in the real market. If you get your license and find absolutely NO job in 6, 12 months? You're not in a majority. Not even close. You have the right to be frustrated with possibly having been misled by schools/marketing.. but that's a life lesson you were going to get no matter what you did in life.

I don't think understand your point. Are you saying that because the EE market outlook is worse than pharmacy that we should be happy? If so, there's always going to be someone doing worse than you in life so I don't really care how some other job market is doing compared to mine. It's also not comparing apples to apples. Pharmacists are needed in every city and small town in the country, EE is likely a little more condensed due to industry. The point being, it's a little easier to pick where you work as a pharmacist than EE. Forgive me if I'm wrong on that cause I definitely don't know anything about the EE market, just an estimation.

I don't think understand your point. Are you saying that because the EE market outlook is worse than pharmacy that we should be happy? If so, there's always going to be someone doing worse than you in life so I don't really care how some other job market is doing compared to mine. It's also not comparing apples to apples. Pharmacists are needed in every city and small town in the country, EE is likely a little more condensed due to industry. The point being, it's a little easier to pick where you work as a pharmacist than EE. Forgive me if I'm wrong on that cause I definitely don't know anything about the EE market, just an estimation.

No, def didn't mean to send that impression (it's a very useless point to make). My thoughts were an overall response to the "doom and gloom" in multiple threads that comes off as unrealistic and borderline pretentious. The panicked and angry posts that, if an uninformed person read, would actually think the job market for pharmacists is already like it is for new attorneys, and that the "way to go" is some other field where the salary is 100k for "just" 4 years of work and low loans with a high chance of placement into a cush job. It's a situation where folks (not necessarily you) are comparing the bad anecdotes of pharmacy to the great anecdotes of (insert other fields).

Forgive me for airing out my gripes all at once, in one thread, but it seemed to be one people were paying attention to.

No, def didn't mean to send that impression (it's a very useless point to make). My thoughts were an overall response to the "doom and gloom" in multiple threads that comes off as unrealistic and borderline pretentious. The panicked and angry posts that, if an uninformed person read, would actually think the job market for pharmacists is already like it is for new attorneys, and that the "way to go" is some other field where the salary is 100k for "just" 4 years of work and low loans with a high chance of placement into a cush job. It's a situation where folks (not necessarily you) are comparing the bad anecdotes of pharmacy to the great anecdotes of (insert other fields).

Forgive me for airing out my gripes all at once, in one thread, but it seemed to be one people were paying attention to.

Got it. I think much of the panic is based on trends that we're seeing in the market. It's not that it's terrible now, but has worsened significantly over the last 10 years. Now with more and more schools opening supply will soon overwhelm demand. I can definitely see how it can come across as unrealistic and pretentious to people who aren't immersed in the pharmacist market, but it's mostly pharmacists expressing concern for the direction their field is headed and not necessarily where the market is at right now.

As far as comparing to other fields, that's something I've thought about a lot, and I'm not sure I would choose another one over pharmacy if I were to do it again. I've got engineering friends the same age as me who now make just as much. They worked their way up while I was still in pharmacy school but now we're pretty near the same salary. The potential is there for sure, but the risk is a lot bigger in my opinion. I don't think I would do it differently if I could go back, but I definitely don't recommend going into pharmacy right now. There's just no telling what the market will be like after 7-8 years of school when you're already pot committed.

Reactions: 1 user
New grad here..from what I've seen in my graduating class, about 85% of them are doing retail. Many are floating and a couple of them are still looking for job. Hospital jobs in my city were mostly offered to graduates with residencies. A couple of my friends who are doing retail- most who are full time interned with the company >5 yrs, one moved 4hr away to work with cvs (new grad, no experience, offered ~130k), the rest are floaters.

As for myself- I did not applied for any retail positions and moved ~2h away to work in a mid-size hospital. I went to numerous interviews; took 2 months after getting licensed (4 mo after graduation) to land a position. I only got the job because one of the pharmacist retired and another candidates blew their interview/didn't want to relocate, so I just lucked out. I make <100k and owe more than double in loans.

In summary, it is freaking hard to find a job and not all pharmacist make 6 figures.
And uh my hospital uses siemens/cerner, onechart. Any advice for new hospital pharmacist would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

New grad here..from what I've seen in my graduating class, about 85% of them are doing retail. Many are floating and a couple of them are still looking for job. Hospital jobs in my city were mostly offered to graduates with residencies. A couple of my friends who are doing retail- most who are full time interned with the company >5 yrs, one moved 4hr away to work with cvs (new grad, no experience, offered ~130k), the rest are floaters.

As for myself- I did not applied for any retail positions and moved ~2h away to work in a mid-size hospital. I went to numerous interviews; took 2 months after getting licensed (4 mo after graduation) to land a position. I only got the job because one of the pharmacist retired and another candidates blew their interview/didn't want to relocate, so I just lucked out. I make <100k and owe more than double in loans.

In summary, it is freaking hard to find a job and not all pharmacist make 6 figures.
And uh my hospital uses siemens/cerner, onechart. Any advice for new hospital pharmacist would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Which pharmacy school did you graduated from? Which city and state do you currently live in?

I realize this post is from 2015... but damn. Rough times indeed approaching.