What's your favorite way of pinching pennies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a germ freak :lame: and live with 3 other people, so I like to change my sponges often..

Your germphobia is right on, PS. The kitchen sink is the dirtiest, most germ infested place in a home and the biggest culprit are infamous sponges :eek:loaded with bacteria. :oops: The toilet is all too often cleaner than the sink! Clean sponges in the dishwasher or microwave and spring for new ones when you can't recall when the last time was that you bought a 2 buck sponge. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

The wildlife clinic where I volunteer at reuses old sponges by simply washing them in the washing machine with the towels.

I also agree on the sewing thing. I know how to sew both by hand and by machine and it is SUPER helpful to extend the life of old clothes that are wearing out. Usually all they need is a simple fix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you have time, working as a mystery shopper doesn't pay much, but it can help you go out more often and for "free." Vet students are mostly in a very useful age bracket for working alcohol checks, too.

Also, if you have time, working as a mystery shopper doesn't pay much, but it can help you go out more often and for "free." Vet students are mostly in a very useful age bracket for working alcohol checks, too.

How does mystery shopping work? I've looked into it before, but I'm pretty worried about getting scammed. MSPA is the only seemingly legitimate listing I've found.

There are a lot of places you can sign up to shop through, though in my experience they are all pretty disorganized and I'm not thrilled by how cavalier some operations are with your data. Pick one or two that seem to have their act together and use them. MSPA is a good place to start.

After reading this, I briefly looked into it, just to get some more info, and it actually sounds sort of fun haha or at least a nice way to get meals paid for. Did a quick search for available assignments around my area and found a massage assignment and a roller rink assignment. If I can get paid to just roller skate and have a massage done then I don't care what kind of paperwork I have to do afterwards :p Probably won't pursue this in vet school, but perhaps from now until then since I don't really have anything else to do :)

It's kind of annoying to get set up with a mystery shopping company. It can take time to fill out their forms, and a lot of the new shops I see that I want to do are run by a company I don't work with. I work with six or seven companies already, but I don't really live in a big metro area so that drops the number and type of shops I do as well.

Also, the shops are often very specific. Like, go buy coffee at a coffee place but you have to buy one specific drink with these modifiers. And you'll get reimbursed sometimes but not paid.

It can be a pain in the ass is what I'm saying, but for those who don't mind wading through paperwork, it could be worth it!

Host a clothing swap with your friends. You get to clean out your closet and you get new clothes for free (and a local charity usually ends up making out pretty well with the left overs). My roommate hosts one every year.

A local church does that, open to the community. All clothes are free, but you have to bring clothing in to get in the door.

Does anyone find that a Costco or BJ's membership is a useful way to save? I know that most of us are living as a single or couple (aka not in families), so maybe it's a little wasteful, but they do have excellent prices...if you do shop there, what do you find are the best items to buy in bulk versus in small quantities from the usual stores?

Does anyone find that a Costco or BJ's membership is a useful way to save? I know that most of us are living as a single or couple (aka not in families), so maybe it's a little wasteful, but they do have excellent prices...if you do shop there, what do you find are the best items to buy in bulk versus in small quantities from the usual stores?

BJ's usually does a free "trial membership" every so often, so I signed up for that once. It's great because you get access to the store without having to pay for a membership, and it's usually lasts like 2-3 months. I didn't buy a whole lot though, since I live alone - paper products, soda/juice by the case, cereal, peanut butter, etc. Mostly just stuff that won't go bad very quickly, because it will take me forever to work through it all by myself. I went in November and I've still got some peanut butter and soda left from that trip!

I prefer to buy in bulk things that are going to last. Occasionally I'll buy a salad or one of their ready made meals, but that's only for a treat and only if I can be sure I'll eat it quickly. I buy Friskies there, things like Frontline (you end up saving $3 a vial), cat litter, and then I also buy things like cereals, peanut butter, pasta, etc. - foods that last. I'm always tempted to buy fruit cases but I don't think I could go through 10+ apples by myself before they go bad. I definitely think Costco is a pretty okay way to save, but if I had to choose between pay for a Costco membership or not pay for one, I probably wouldn't (I'm on my mother's account at the moment), mainly because I'll be a family of 1 and currently consume food I buy as a family of 1 and so I can't buy anything meat, fresh, etc. that has a definitive expiration date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer to buy in bulk things that are going to last. Occasionally I'll buy a salad or one of their ready made meals, but that's only for a treat and only if I can be sure I'll eat it quickly. I buy Friskies there, things like Frontline (you end up saving $3 a vial), cat litter, and then I also buy things like cereals, peanut butter, pasta, etc. - foods that last. I'm always tempted to buy fruit cases but I don't think I could go through 10+ apples by myself before they go bad. I definitely think Costco is a pretty okay way to save, but if I had to choose between pay for a Costco membership or not pay for one, I probably wouldn't (I'm on my mother's account at the moment), mainly because I'll be a family of 1 and currently consume food I buy as a family of 1 and so I can't buy anything meat, fresh, etc. that has a definitive expiration date.

Use your freezer! I don't eat meat but my mom stocks up on fish and meat at costco and then freezes 75% of it. Then you have what, like 6 months to eat it? I freeze everything because I can't stand to waste anything... leftovers, soups, chili, extra veggies that are about to go bad, nuts, fruit, etc.

The food co-op here lets you order cases of a product, and if the thing is on sale when you order it, you get the case/s at that sale price. Sometimes you can get whole cases for 50% off that way!

Use your freezer! I don't eat meat but my mom stocks up on fish and meat at costco and then freezes 75% of it. Then you have what, like 6 months to eat it? I freeze everything because I can't stand to waste anything... leftovers, soups, chili, extra veggies that are about to go bad, nuts, fruit, etc.

We actually have a really small freezer! I told my mother that when I move out and furnish my apartment, I need more freezer space. :p I definitely didn't think about using the freezer to freeze meat though. Duh! 6 months isn't too bad and it might be even better once I move out. The meat we eat is mostly bison and chicken and we don't eat it often, but thank you, because I probably would have moved out and been mostly meatless. :D I realise that my mother's weird eating habits are probably going to cause some issue with me when I'm out on my own, haha.

Find a few friends, go shopping together. Then split the bill after you walk out of the store. :smuggrin:

clothing swaps for sure! also, cooking food instead of going out, potlucks, board game nights at friends houses instead of bars, hosting netflix/movies at my place instead of going to movies, biking/busing/walking instead of driving when possible and buying food in bulk- it's SO easy to make popcorn on the stove or to rehydrate beans.... overall, setting budget goals and sticking to them helps me pinch pennies!

so.. i'll be hosting board game nights, clothing swaps and potlucks for us NCSU students throughout the upcoming semesters! ;)

Bumping this thread to share the important life lesson I learned yesterday . . .

When you go grocery shopping, use one of those baskets that you carry instead of a cart. I always do this anyway since I feel like a dork pushing a cart around the store, but yesterday I needed to pick up a few heavier items so I grabbed a cart. And I ended up spending DOUBLE what I usually spend on groceries. Turns out having your purchases limited to what you can physically carry is a really good way to save money.

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite ways...
1. Free food- I honestly just find it... mostly covers all the food groups too... Im not just talking pizza and cookies, but sometimes I get salads, and chicken, and fruit, the works. I only had to buy groceries twice between October and January. Success! Part of this is from working at a veterinary hospital. The other factor is I live close to a campus that has free food. Plus, I do a lot of teaching and tutoring and the students like to feed me :)
2. At grocery stores, I dont buy the name brand stuff usually, unless I have a reason. Saves a few dollars off my total. When I want to buy things in bulk, I wait until they go on sale.
3. Walk everywhere you can! Some of my jobs are within a few minutes, or half a mile from my house. I dont take my car if the weather is nice, and I save gas!
4. I paid for spotify instead of buying all my songs off of itunes... I listen to a lot of music and paying ten dollars a month (could be free too if you dont mind ads) saves me a lot more than downloading lots of songs individually.
5. Only go to starbucks with giftcards... hard to do sometimes because I like starbucks, but it is way to expensive for me. So I make it a special occassion when I have gift cards and then really enjoy mu coffee. (PS- for anyone in my neck of the woods, 1 dollar coffee any size/type at Wawa!!)
6. Dollar stores- Can get hand soap, paper towels, toilet paper, dish soap, pens, pencils, and all those little daily odds and ends for a fraction of what I would if I went to a department store... and they do not work any differently than their more expensive counterparts!
7. Wait for clearance sales on clothes... some of them aren't too seasonal that you cant wear them a few months later. For example, I got jeans at targets that were there in the summer, now 70% off. And they are still jeans nonetheless, and don't look summery at all. Plus, if you are a petite person like me, I even suggest looking in the children's section for pants some times. Essentially look the same as adults, but do not cost as much. Some of the larger kids sizes are equivalent to the smaller juniors sizes.
8. Drink lots of water instead of juice and soda... investing in a brita filter practically covers your beverage expenses for a few months, until you can change the filter.
9. Dont be afraid to splurge on something you really like! (within reason... I'm talking a new pair of shoes, not a car or vacation here! haha) It is okay every now and then... it then helps me stay on track saving the rest of my money responsibly for a while.

I'm not as efficient as I could be (or should be), but I do have ways of lowering costs.

Packing snacks for work and school. My days usually aren't long and I'd rather not pay $5+ dollars for one meal when I can eat a late lunch at home for cheap. Plus, I can curb some of my junk food cravings with smaller portioned (think kids' lunch) chips and juice boxes during the day.

Try to limit shopping to one store a week unless there's an urgent need. If I want more groceries, that will be my weekly shopping trip. If I want to shop for non-essentials, I can do that but I just met my weekly quota.

Shop discount. Anymore I try to source most of my clothing from discount and outlet stores which can be daunting being a larger size (in clothing and shoes.... size 10/11 feet, anyone?) and having a much trendier and younger taste than many plus-size retailers cater to in the market.

Public transportation. Even though I have a car, I only drive it a couple times a week. I take buses to work and to most of my classes. In parking passes, meter fees, and gas - I've saved thousands over my college years. The only downside is being "stuck" living near campus to get the benefits of those services.

Teaching the cats to use the toilet = BEST THING EVER (regarding $$ saved and grossness level reduced)

ChittyBang's Tips For Pinching Pennies:

1. www.cardpool.com

2. Know those racks of discounted ripe produce at the back of most supermarkets? Peruse it.

3. Know how most supermarkets discount meat that expires that day? Buy it. It won't kill you.

4. Eat cheap, but healthy, foods most days of the week, like rice & beans, pasta & frozen veggies, and pack it up for lunch the next day.

5. Gyms are great, but hiking/running are free and more fun.

6. Pop some tags at the thrift shop! There is no shame in it, and you may find brand new stuff.

7. In the spring, many wealthier towns have "spring cleaning pick-up day" where residents leave furniture, etc. on their curbs. Do some drive-by shopping.

8. If you live in or near a city, watch for free plays, rooftop movies, concerts, street fairs, etc.

9. Barter with people. Know a mechanic, plumber, electrician...? Offer to housesit, dog walk, babysit, etc. in exchange for their services.

10. Go to a local cosmetology school for cuts, color, manicures, facials, etc. Its cheaper and they'll most likely do a good job because they're learning and being graded.

Shop discount. Anymore I try to source most of my clothing from discount and outlet stores which can be daunting being a larger size (in clothing and shoes.... size 10/11 feet, anyone?) and having a much trendier and younger taste than many plus-size retailers cater to in the market.
A classmate in my PBL group was talking about buying large shoes the other day. She said she buys from the men's section a lot--there's no real difference in the way the sneakers look, and it's easier to find the size you need if it's big. I've also bought "men's" Converse because they were cheaper than the "women's" version.

A classmate in my PBL group was talking about buying large shoes the other day. She said she buys from the men's section a lot--there's no real difference in the way the sneakers look, and it's easier to find the size you need if it's big. I've also bought "men's" Converse because they were cheaper than the "women's" version.
Sometimes I buy sneakers in the kid's department for this reason...same shoe, but cheaper!

Size 10/11 here. I almost never find shoes my size in discount stores. :(

I've only bought Dyce and my dissection guides. I've lucked out and had two the recommended text books for classes already from undergrad, but other than that, I haven't bought any other books since they're all in the library anyways.

That's how you do it! Just go to the library; they're all there and it makes you study anyway. I think I only owned 4 books during school. Dyce, 5 minute consult, big purple surgery book, parasite book. The end. Everything else is in the library. Or I'd buy it for a semester long class and then sell it. I also had an upper classmate friend who offered to loan ones she wasn't using. When you get out you'll want Plumbs. You really don't need a whole shelf, but some people like it. I like to keep my money ;)

Do people really buy new sponges every week?? I certainly don't.

Microwaving them for 30 seconds is a good way to disinfect them periodically. :D

HA - funny story. So when you microwave them, make sure they're wet or damp. And don't microwave them for very long. Otherwise you'll set them on fire and it will smell AWFUL. Necropsy level bad. Voice of experience, right here.

HA - funny story. So when you microwave them, make sure they're wet or damp. And don't microwave them for very long. Otherwise you'll set them on fire and it will smell AWFUL. Necropsy level bad. Voice of experience, right here.

I've actually switched over to the old school dish clothes. They have a scrubby side. After using it a few days, I just toss it in the wash and voilà all clean! It has actually saved quite a bit of money.

I frequently buy the 50% off stuff...but the produce is always mushy and sometimes just downright rotten. Blech.
Oh, no! That's not cool. Thankfully I've always had luck with things like bananas, pineapple, papaya, bell peppers... I read somewhere that bananas with spots are actually healthier for you (cancer fighting).

Speaking of ripe bananas, they make an awesome dairy-free/low calorie ice "cream"! Freeze, and then puree with whatever you want - vanilla, chocolate, coconut flakes, nuts, whatever. Soooo good!

OH! And slice them into rounds, put a little peanut/almond butter or Nutella in between two rounds, and freeze for little "poppers". Dip in chocolate, and roll in coconut or nuts, before freezing for an extra special treat :) Yummo!

Speaking of ripe bananas, they make an awesome dairy-free/low calorie ice "cream"! Freeze, and then puree with whatever you want - vanilla, chocolate, coconut flakes, nuts, whatever. Soooo good!
Yes! I keep frozen bananas in my freezer and make myself chocolate banana milkshakes! I just do one banana and chocolate soy milk and blend. SO yummy. And not horrible for me.

I've actually switched over to the old school dish clothes. They have a scrubby side. After using it a few days, I just toss it in the wash and voilà all clean! It has actually saved quite a bit of money.

I do this too, they clean up much better than a sponge. But I don't buy them, I just use old face clothes or have my mom knit me some with her leftover yarn.

I frequently buy the 50% off stuff...but the produce is always mushy and sometimes just downright rotten. Blech.

Even the regular full price produce tends to be overripe and bruised to hell here. I regularly end up rethinking my meal plans because the produce I need is too beat up to be worth paying for. Maybe it's because it takes longer to get it to the island.

Even the regular full price produce tends to be overripe and bruised to hell here. I regularly end up rethinking my meal plans because the produce I need is too beat up to be worth paying for. Maybe it's because it takes longer to get it to the island.

I have noticed this too!

Size 10/11 here. I almost never find shoes my size in discount stores. :(

Recently I've had luck finding some nice boots in 11's from TJ Maxx. Their stock is usually dictated by their proximity to other department stores, but occasionally they'll have some larger shoes that are decent looking and decently priced.