What's your "Why"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-I'm not good enough at math to engineer and coding/programming gives me anxiety
-my family is not independently wealthy
-somewhat intellectually challenging
-you can't rake in 350k+ working at GAP. (assuming GAP stores are even still open in your area)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Let's be honest most people go into medicine simply because it is a prestigious, previlaged and financially stable career. There is no disputing this fact!
While one may graduate with an engineering, English or any other degree, the fact of the matter is finding a decent job that pays well (like medicine) is out of reach for the vast majority.
Bottom line is MONEY!!
If medicine payed like say an Engineer I'm sure many would choose something else, I know I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's be honest most people go into medicine simply because it is a prestigious, previlaged and financially stable career. There is no disputing this fact!
While one may graduate with an engineering, English or any other degree, the fact of the matter is finding a decent job that pays well (like medicine) is out of reach for the vast majority.
Bottom line is MONEY!!
If medicine payed like say an Engineer I'm sure many would choose something else, I know I wouldn't do it.

Too much BS, too long in school/training before you make "doctor money" and limited control over salaries/reimbursement.

I would man up and do ECE if I could make EM/Rads money

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked in an underserved area in allied health for a few years. Routinely saw people come into the ER half dead and dying from stuff that could easily be prevented if there were any primary care docs in the area. I liked science enough and got sick of seeing genuinely good folks sick. Thought I should do something about it.

This thread is kinda depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
This thread is kinda depressing.
I know, right? I'm saddened that so much of the profession revolves around money.

Nah, you've got it all wrong man. The money is necessary because of the debts. I would not become a doctor if I made 75k, sorry. Whether you would or wouldn't doesnt mean anything to me and it doesn't mean I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. If all I cared about was money id spend the next 10 years in finance and investing, not busting my ass making endless sacrifices so I could help other people become and stay well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Telling girls at the bar I am a doctor, I also want to be called "doc"

Telling girls at the bar I am a doctor, I also want to be called "doc"

Yikes. Please do not do it solely for the salary and prestige. I think it's normal to feel that way, but in a career like medicine you need to have compassion and a love for what you do. In my opinion, the "what makes me get out of bed every morning to do this" should be changing patients lives and revolutionizing medicine as a whole, not how much money or chicks I'll rake in.

Reactions: 1 users
Yikes. Please do not do it solely for the salary and prestige. I think it's normal to feel that way, but in a career like medicine you need to have compassion and a love for what you do. In my opinion, the "what makes me get out of bed every morning to do this" should be changing patients lives and revolutionizing medicine as a whole, not how much money or chicks I'll rake in.

I was quoting the pokemon theme song lol

I know, right? I'm saddened that so much of the profession revolves around money.
The world revolves around money and sex
Everyone is self interested, and anyone who isn't is a liar
Welcome to reality, little one

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Lol it's not bad to be money minded is the point i'm trying to make.
Yet here in medicine we make out self interest as satanic. For some reason we demonize premeds who want to make money, Whereas you see an aspiring entrepreneur working 10 hrs a day to build his business and get rich, you call him ambitious/hard-working
I'm not saying it's bad. I was really just saying that I was expecting a lot more of a variety of reasons in the thread, but really it's 90% money, which is sad.

Nah, you've got it all wrong man. The money is necessary because of the debts. I would not become a doctor if I made 75k, sorry. Whether you would or wouldn't doesnt mean anything to me and it doesn't mean I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. If all I cared about was money id spend the next 10 years in finance and investing, not busting my ass making endless sacrifices so I could help other people become and stay well.

I wouldn't either with the kind of debt we all take on. I just thought people would be more about doing an important and engaging job. But money is everyone's main goal in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A "friend" said, "it's the only way I can cut em legally." :cat:;):mask:

“Mbuto.”

My African driver springs to his feet.

“Yes, Sahib.”

“Pass me another baby, I think this one has died.” I lay the dead infant in the pile by my feet. What I’d really like him to do is pass me an ice-cold bottle of the local beer. Compassion is hot, thirsty work. There is no ice in this wretched refugee camp, mores the pity, but as I’m here to help I will suffer in silence. I stare into the eyes of the African baby who is suffering from HIV or dengue fever or something gross and look out into the hot, dusty savannah and ask, “Why? Why gender-neutral and non-judgmental Deity (or Deities) does this have to happen?”

“And Why, Mbuto, is the air-conditioning on my Land Rover broken again?”

“One thousand pardons, Sahib, but the parts have not arrived.”

I will suffer. I have lived a life of privilege and my suffering serves to link me to the suffering of mankind. I roll the window down. God it’s hot. How can people live here? Why don’t they move where it’s cool? Still, I see by the vacant stare from the walking skeletons who insist on blocking the road that they appreciate my compassion and I know that in a small way, I am making a difference in their lives.

Africa. Oh wretched continent! How long must you suffer? How long will you provide the venue to compensate for a low MCAT score? How many must die before I am accepted to a top-tier medical school?

When did I first discover that I, myself, desired to be a doctor? Some come to the decision late in life, often not until the age of five. The non-traditional applicants might not know until they are seven or even, as hard as it is to believe, until the end of ninth grade. I came, myself, to the realization that I, myself, wanted to be a doctor on the way through the birth canal when I realized that my large head was causing a partial third degree vaginal laceration. I quickly threw a couple of sutures into the fascia between contractions so strong was my desire to help people.

My dedication to service was just beginning. At five I was counseling the first-graders on their reproductive options. By twelve I was volunteering at a suicide crisis center/free needle exchange hot-line for troubled transgendered teens. I’ll never forget Jose, a young Hispanic male with HIV who had just been kicked out of his casa by his conservative Catholic parents. He had turned to black tar heroin as his only solace and he was literally at the end of his rope when he called.

“How about a condom, Hose,” I asked. The J, as you know, is pronounced like an H in Spanish.

Annoying silence on the line. Hesus, I was there to help him.

“Condoms will solve all of your problems,” I continued, “In fact, in a paper of which I was listed as the fourth author, we found that condoms prevent all kinds of diseases including HIV which I have a suspicion is the root of your depression.”

More silence. No one had ever had such a rapport with him. He was speechless and grateful and I took his sobs as evidence of my compassion.

“Hey, it was double-blinded and placebo controlled, vato.” Cultural competence is important and I value my diverse upbringing which has exposed me to peoples of many different ethnicities. I always say “What up, Homes?” to the nice young negroes who assemble my Big Mac and I think they accept me as a soul brother.

“We also have needles, amigo. Clean needles would prevent HIV too.”

My desire to be a physician has mirrored my desire to actualize my potential to serve humanity in many capacities. This may be something unheard of from medical school applicant but I have a strong desire to help people. I manifest this desire by my dedication to obtaining all kinds of exposure to all different kinds of people but mostly those from underserved and underprivileged populations. In fact, during a stint in a Doctors Without Borders spin-off chapter I learned the true meaning of underserved while staffing a mall health care pavilion in La Jolla, California.

Most of my friends are black or latino and I am a “Junior Cousin” of the Nation of Islam where I teach infidel abasement techniques to the Mohammed (PBUHN) Scouts. I also am active in the fight for women’s reproductive rights except of course for women in Afghanistan who were better off before our current racist war.

As Maya Angelou once said, “All men (and womyn) are prepared to accomplish the incredible if their ideals are threatened.” I feel this embodies my philosophy best because the prospect of grad school is too horrible to contemplate.

hurry someone save this forever

Reactions: 5 users
Cause I love getting calls from distant relatives who want a script to fix their declining health caused by unhealthy eating and drinking habits

Hm...while its noble and I understand what you're saying, its probably best not to speak along those lines as far as medical admissions goes. You're basically telling them you expect to be unhappy/miserable as a doctor.

I sort of feel the same way though TBH. Do people really think doctors/medical students LOVE running on no sleep and being exhausted, making endless sacrifices? Im sure that most of them don't enjoy those things.
I don't think anything people are saying this thread is what they're gonna say during interviews ("I like helping people, applying science, and being a leader of an interdisciplinary team").

That's just one of my motives that keeps me still in this rat race.

I don't think anything people are saying this thread is what they're gonna say during interviews ("I like helping people, applying science, and being a leader of an interdisciplinary team").

That's just one of my motives that keeps me still in this rat race.
Yeah I get it. I grew up in garbage, I'm used to it. It doesn't bother me to live in a quality of life below what people are used to. I'd rather it be me who has to deal with it because to me, it's not that bad. Obviously it's not interview/secondary appropriate, but it is something to keep in mind as a motivation.

Not true at all, don't try to justify your own superficial reasons lol

I just don't believe that every person who wants to be a physician has a unique reason for why. It's the superficial aspects (money, status, stability, autonomy, etc) of the job that initially draw them towards it, and they later justify their ambitions with something more complex and humanitarian.

Early exposure to the profession and not knowing (or wanting to know) any other future career. It's a meaningful career that you can look proudly back on as a retiree and know that you had a positive impact on thousands of people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Lol there is a whole other thread on "Why not to go into medicine for the money"....

But we are all adults here..

And none of us want to work at some 9-5 earning maybe 50k at the top of your work..

Bust your ass for 8 years...

then a few more after that..

Soon you'll be rollin in

Pay off debt ASAP

Live like a king

Because it seems like the perfect balance of nerding out alone and working directly with people. My computer programming career is not enough of the latter. My retail jobs (which, call me crazy, but I have really loved working in retail helping people find stuff and evaluate products) were not enough of the former. Medicine seems like the perfect combination of arcane nerd stuff and just getting to know people and their needs.

a way to leave the world better than i found it

Same four reasons as everybody, chicks, money, power, and chicks.

Reactions: 3 users
Typical reasons. Love of science and its application, guiding patients towards better health and living, good income, stability, and prestige. Probably in that order actually.

i think if more premeds spent time actually working with underserved communities and were genuinely engaged with the work, they would consider most of the reasons provided in this thread to be vulgar.

"I don't want to work for 50k 9-5..."

Oh, you mean like more than half of the country which at most makes precisely that (as a household) and working longer hours?

"I want to help people"

...as a private practice physician in a wealthy suburb

"I like solving complicated problems.."

...but not simple problems that are far more common and right under my nose.

But hey everyone is just out to get theirs right? Can't blame someone for that, right?

That is, until a poor person needs your help, they should get theirs too and stop trying to steal from me.

What a joke

Reactions: 3 users
i think if more premeds spent time actually working with underserved communities and were genuinely engaged with the work, they would consider most of the reasons provided in this thread to be vulgar.

"I don't want to work for 50k 9-5..."

Oh, you mean like more than half of the country which at most makes precisely that (as a household) and working longer hours?

"I want to help people"

...as a private practice physician in a wealthy suburb

"I like solving complicated problems.."

...but not simple problems that are far more common and right under my nose.

But hey everyone is just out to get theirs right? Can't blame someone for that, right?

That is, until a poor person needs your help, they should get theirs too and stop trying to steal from me.

What a joke

Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity

I hate having a comfortable, easy life, and every moment I feel content I die a little inside. Vacations make me want to shank myself. Time off makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Basically, I'm into medicine because the challenge just keeps coming and it'll keep me from ever being content so long as I'm willing to keep diving deeper and don't get lazy.

I hate having a comfortable, easy life, and every moment I feel content I die a little inside. Vacations make me want to shank myself. Time off makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Basically, I'm into medicine because the challenge just keeps coming and it'll keep me from ever being content so long as I'm willing to keep diving deeper and don't get lazy.
Sounds like fun, sheesh

Sounds like fun, sheesh
I hate myself, what can I say.

Really though, I think it's a side-effect of evolution. If people were just content to be what they are and have what they have, we'd never strive for anything greater. So most people have a drive to want more- more money, more knowledge, more challenges. That's how society advances- on the backs of the people that aren't content with the status quo of their life. Unfortunately, I think some people get carried away- that's how you get the multi-billionaires that just want more and more money, or fellows who have been in residency and fellowship for going on ten years- they can't handle just "doing," they need to always feel like they're moving forward to something greater, because if they finally reached the end, it would feel empty.

That's kind of how I feel when I've got nothing going on. Medicine has given me the opportunity to avoid being bored for quite some time. I know I'll tire of it eventually, but by then, I'll have found a new endeavor to occupy my time- I'm thinking real estate or a brewery as my next project. Stagnation, to me, feels like death. Medicine isn't fun, but it makes me feel alive.

But hey, this is the last serious post I'm making today, so don't worry, no more darkness from my corner.

I hate myself, what can I say.

Really though, I think it's a side-effect of evolution. If people were just content to be what they are and have what they have, we'd never strive for anything greater. So most people have a drive to want more- more money, more knowledge, more challenges. That's how society advances- on the backs of the people that aren't content with the status quo of their life. Unfortunately, I think some people get carried away- that's how you get the multi-billionaires that just want more and more money, or fellows who have been in residency and fellowship for going on ten years- they can't handle just "doing," they need to always feel like they're moving forward to something greater, because if they finally reached the end, it would feel empty.

That's kind of how I feel when I've got nothing going on. Medicine has given me the opportunity to avoid being bored for quite some time. I know I'll tire of it eventually, but by then, I'll have found a new endeavor to occupy my time- I'm thinking real estate or a brewery as my next project. Stagnation, to me, feels like death. Medicine isn't fun, but it makes me feel alive.

But hey, this is the last serious post I'm making today, so don't worry, no more darkness from my corner.
I understand what you mean, trust me. I'm miserable when I'm bored as well. But, my outlook is a little less bleak. Maybe we try to fill the void with something a little less tangible. Like in Interstellar "Love is the 4th dimension," and other ridiculous stuff like that.

I understand what you mean, trust me. I'm miserable when I'm bored as well. But, my outlook is a little less bleak. Maybe we try to fill the void with something a little less tangible. Like in Interstellar "Love is the 4th dimension," and other ridiculous stuff like that.
Falling in love is a nice distraction, but love itself is an exercise in patience and compromise. Having a companion is wonderful, but you still need that something to make your days together interesting. I've got interests that can keep me busy for long periods of time- hell, if I had enough money, I could literally travel forever, because there's enough things to see that I'd never get bored. But while I'm stuck on these shores, being forced to work, it's just a struggle to stay busy, to not get bored, to not grow to resent whatever current line of work I'm grinding away at. Because given enough time, every job is work. And while the work itself may suck, as long as it's challenging or occasionally gets me to feel like I accomplished something, it can keep me occupied. Medicine has that ability far more than most fields. And it can get me enough cash to build up a portfolio and get out of the godforsaken rat race. I think I've just got the sort of personality that was born in a time and place that isn't really conducive to what I need in life- too late to explore the world, too early to explore the stars.

But if I end up with enough cash, I can at least explore a bit of what's already been charted before I die. With everything always changing, it's impossible to see it all, so it might be enough to keep me forever interested and never bored.

Falling in love is a nice distraction, but love itself is an exercise in patience and compromise. Having a companion is wonderful, but you still need that something to make your days together interesting. I've got interests that can keep me busy for long periods of time- hell, if I had enough money, I could literally travel forever, because there's enough things to see that I'd never get bored. But while I'm stuck on these shores, being forced to work, it's just a struggle to stay busy, to not get bored, to not grow to resent whatever current line of work I'm grinding away at. Because given enough time, every job is work. And while the work itself may suck, as long as it's challenging or occasionally gets me to feel like I accomplished something, it can keep me occupied. Medicine has that ability far more than most fields. And it can get me enough cash to build up a portfolio and get out of the godforsaken rat race. I think I've just got the sort of personality that was born in a time and place that isn't really conducive to what I need in life- too late to explore the world, too early to explore the stars.

But if I end up with enough cash, I can at least explore a bit of what's already been charted before I die. With everything always changing, it's impossible to see it all, so it might be enough to keep me forever interested and never bored.
I feel like I'm talking to my middle school self.
Get rich so you can take part in commercial space flight.

I feel like I'm talking to my middle school self.
Get rich so you can take part in commercial space flight.
I'm in my 30s- I've worked many, many jobs in my life, ultimately hating every single one of them because of the sheer boredom they caused. I'd give damn near anything for a job that kept me from hating every second I was there. For now, medicine is doing the trick. In five years? I dread to think. Change though- change keeps me feeling pretty good about my work and my life. I need a combination of constant change with a solid foundation to come back to, ideally. The first few years of medical school certainly provided that for me, and residency- well, residency will challenge the foundations of my life, but might start getting dull. And practice? I can't imagine doing the same thing for the same group for years, so I don't know how much I'll enjoy it. I'll probably end up like some of the other gluttons for punishment around here and do a fellowship or research or both.

Lastly, commercial space flight is a ridiculous waste of money, you're just going to say you've been. You aren't discovering anything new, it's pretty damn stupid.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly? Because I don't know what else to do with myself. I hate the prospect of being in any field that isn't biology. And even in biology, I'm very disdainful of most of the subfields, only marginally less so of healthcare sciences. It was an easy choice really - in my circumstances the path to a medical degree was the only one that didn't make me want to projectile vomit.

That doesn't mean I'm not passionate about it, tho. Passion can be developed.