When are you supposed to hear from UCSF/SFSU 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albyhungry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten interview requests from UCSF/SFSU? I am currently accepted into USA-SD Summer 2011 and am trying to plan for it. Things would change if I got a chance with SF. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, I was starting to wonder if anyone else applied there! I vaguely remember reading somewhere (when I was searching for a contact email, but of course I can't find the page now!) that they will contact you in December for interviews in late Jan/early Feb. So I've been trying to be good and not bombard them with emails figuring out my application status. So yeah, I would consider putting in that deposit at USA-SD to hold your spot since you may not find out about SF until March :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow PT2014, they're really strict on the GRE requirements! Your stats are good so I'm sure you'll get into other programs. When did you get the e-mail from UCSF? I haven't heard from them, and I'm a bit worried. My stats (GRE, PT hours, work experience, overall GPA) are good except for my pre-req GPA, and I'm sure they put the biggest weight on the pre-req GPA. :(

On another note, I know students who were accepted to UCSF in the last cycle who can hardly handle an acute care setting. What I mean is that I did observation hours at the same facility as some students who were accepted, and while I was witnessing a geriatric patient unable to contain his bowel movement during therapy, these students ran out of the room in disgust. They couldn't hold their composure. They should have dropped PT right then. Later, the PT being shadowed told me, "That's ridiculous, they can't handle the nature of this work." But hey, they got into UCSF, more power to em'.

Seriously, those are the people that are going to drop out pretty quickly. And yeah, SF made a mistake admitting them. Makes me wonder how these people did in cadaver labs....pushing around those intestines...mmmmm.

My thoughts: If an institution is going to determine who will be a great candidate for PT school based on the numbers (no exceptions), then that's not an institution I'm interested in. I applied to SFSU/UCSF because I'm from the bay area, and I love SF. Of course, I knew my GRE was slightly deficient, but I figured, hey, I know I can handle this field because I've shown that I can, my letters of rec. will prove it, my pre-reqs prove it, my personal statement proves it.
The fact is, UCSF has minimums requirements and they weren't met, bottom line.

Yeah, UCSF is one of the few schools that is obnoxiously strict about their requirements. I'm shocked that they won't overlook a 10-pt deficit in light of your other accomplishments. I'd be inclined to write them back and say sure, if you want me to retake the GRE, you can pay for it ;). Just kidding. Hehe.

Eforma, I looked at your stats, and you should be receiving an invite soon! Good luck, man.
(Wo)man ;) Hehe. Well, to be honest, I'm having mixed feelings about UCSF. From recent people I've spoken with, I've heard that there is still a bit of confusion with their transition to a DPT. I can't find exact dates, but I'm pretty sure the "D" in the DPT part of UCSFs program is pretty new. So I'm very much inclined to visit the school while in session to get a feel for things.

Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I really just want to hear something from SOMEONE! This waiting game is killing me. Probably the only time in my life that weekends will suck. Heh.

Eforma,
Sorry, I assumed you were a dude, not sure why. Anyway, somewhere on this forum talks about UCSF not being accredited. This is news to me, and I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Regardless, I think since UCSF is a very reputable medical school/center, it is required that they get the brightest students, academically. After discussing it with other current PT students I've decided to just let it go and aim elsewhere.

I was also invited to interview as long as I retook my GRE. I think it's a wonderful program and I'd be happy to attempt again if it helps my chances at all at getting accepted into the program.

Verbal 430
Math 760
Analytical 5.0

Does anyone happen to know how many applicants there were to the UCSF DPT program and how many they ask to retake the GRE?

When I interviewed last year there were about 90 people asked to the interview (I'm guessing at least half of those 90 were asked to retake the GRE)....and about 15 people had ALREADY been accepted into the program and had done an early interview.

wow wat a relief. I am on the same boat 100%....from the email saying I should retake the writing part of GREs (got a 3.5), to the mix feeling of UCSF, to being from the bay area....to wanting to just hear from SOMEBoDY!! ahhhh. i feel ya man, good luck w/ everything! im like checking the mail every day....

Does anyone know if rejection letters come in around the same time as the acceptance letters? in other words, do schools send out acceptances earlier than rejections?

Seriously, those are the people that are going to drop out pretty quickly. And yeah, SF made a mistake admitting them. Makes me wonder how these people did in cadaver labs....pushing around those intestines...mmmmm.

Yeah, UCSF is one of the few schools that is obnoxiously strict about their requirements. I'm shocked that they won't overlook a 10-pt deficit in light of your other accomplishments. I'd be inclined to write them back and say sure, if you want me to retake the GRE, you can pay for it ;). Just kidding. Hehe.

(Wo)man ;) Hehe. Well, to be honest, I'm having mixed feelings about UCSF. From recent people I've spoken with, I've heard that there is still a bit of confusion with their transition to a DPT. I can't find exact dates, but I'm pretty sure the "D" in the DPT part of UCSFs program is pretty new. So I'm very much inclined to visit the school while in session to get a feel for things.

Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I really just want to hear something from SOMEONE! This waiting game is killing me. Probably the only time in my life that weekends will suck. Heh.

Interviews are January 29th 2011. I got a letter from SF stating a proposal to re-take the GRE and increase my 440 to a 450 and then be able to interview. Apparently my application has "the depth and breadth to be considered," but my lack of a 450 on the verbal is really just unacceptable. SO, basically they told me to re-take it and then I can interview to be considered.
No Thank you, SF.
Of course, I'm just blowing off steam, but in reality, I don't want to go to a school where potentially awesome PT's are denied because I didn't know the word "coprolalia" on the GRE verbal.

I agree with you. I also got their letter informing me that they are only "sufficiently impressed" with my application because of my "deficient GRE score."

UCSF was actually my first choice because of their good reputation in many health programs and their lower tuition compared to the private schools I applied to. Not anymore I guess. As much as I want to move to SF, I am not going to retake the GRE just to increase my slightly below minimum verbal score. Besides, the letter basically implied that "hey, you're good, but you're just not good enough for us because you're lacking some points in the verbal section."

I value that UCSF is just trying to make it fair to all the applicants and to the ones who actually scored at or above the required minimum, but I feel that they should take a more holistic approach (especially since it's for PT school) in considering applicants.

somewhere on this forum talks about UCSF not being accredited.

They are accredited, though their next APTA visit is 2013, so it may be that while the MPT is accredited, the new DPT is not. Not sure though.

So haha, I received an email myself from UCSF this morning. For whatever reason they need a syllabus of a class took to confirm it meets a pre-req. Hmph. I took this class 2 years ago and have NO online or physical copy of the syllabus. So now I need the prof from that class to email me the syllabus before Friday or UCSF is going to tell me I have to retake this class in the Spring to be considered. No. Thank. You. Dang....UCSF is making things...difficult. :-/ (Okay, mini rant over.)

Man, all your guys' early invitations are making me jealous! I specifically retook the GRE because I heard they would ask me to retake it anyway. But alas, I have not heard anything either :( hoping for a Christmas time invitation for interview...wouldn't that be an awesome gift? Good luck to those who plan to interview/retake things though!

yah, UCSF is really strict about their requirements. I took my GRE again in Oct, and scored 600 verbal, 760 quant, and 4.5 writing. Thankfully I retook it, because I just got an invite to the interview today. So if you're serious about UCSF I would recommend retaking the GRE. If not, no worries, I thought UCSF was my first choice bc of in-state tuition, but it turns out, its only a couple $K less. Good luck to all!

yah, UCSF is really strict about their requirements. I took my GRE again in Oct, and scored 600 verbal, 760 quant, and 4.5 writing. Thankfully I retook it, because I just got an invite to the interview today. So if you're serious about UCSF I would recommend retaking the GRE. If not, no worries, I thought UCSF was my first choice bc of in-state tuition, but it turns out, its only a couple $K less. Good luck to all!
I just got my invitation yesterday too! I agree though that for those of you who really want it at UCSF/SFSU than I would retake the GRE for the scores you need because every school has their minimum requirements, right? Good luck!

After long hard thought, I will not retake it, especially if it's just one school that wants me to. I am starting to think that it's UCSF, not SFSU, that wants the minimum verbal score of 450. UCSF is a highly rated medical center, which is why they have the minimum standards for their overall med center (including PT). No other CSU PT school has GRE min. requirements, because they know it doesn't define an applicant.

On another note, I am beginning to hear from a lot of students that the application process of a school is pretty indicative of how the program will play out. I can only imagine the intimidation factor of UCSF.
I'm more interested in being a top-notch PT, and not so much about promoting cultural diversity and competing for grades with 4.0 students (I thought that's what undergrad was for)

Hey everyone,

I am a current student at UCSF/SFSU and I just wanted to mention a few things for those of you who are still interested in the program..

If you received an interview offer pending you retake the GRE, you should be offered an interview as long as you register and take it. I received the same letter last year and registered to retake it and as soon as I sent the school proof of that, they invited me to the interview. My GRE retake wasn't even until the week before the interview. And..I did worse, but I was still accepted. I have talked to others in my class and the one ahead of me who were in the same situation. They just want to see that you are willing to retake the test to try and meet the minimum requirements. If you don't, it doesn't mean you are automatically not getting in. They really do look at the whole applicant, if you have other great stuff on your application you should be fine.

On another note, I know students who were accepted to UCSF in the last cycle who can hardly handle an acute care setting. What I mean is that I did observation hours at the same facility as some students who were accepted, and while I was witnessing a geriatric patient unable to contain his bowel movement during therapy, these students ran out of the room in disgust. They couldn't hold their composure. They should have dropped PT right then. Later, the PT being shadowed told me, "That's ridiculous, they can't handle the nature of this work." But hey, they got into UCSF, more power to em'.
I strongly believe that all of my classmates deserve to be here and they are all very professional. Maybe the person you are talking about chose not to attend UCSF/SFSU, but either way, it is unfair to generalize your observation of one person to an entire program.

When I interviewed last year there were about 90 people asked to the interview (I'm guessing at least half of those 90 were asked to retake the GRE)....and about 15 people had ALREADY been accepted into the program and had done an early interview.
There will not be an early interview process this year.

They are accredited, though their next APTA visit is 2013, so it may be that while the MPT is accredited, the new DPT is not. Not sure though.
The new DPT is accredited, the class of 2012 will be the first class graduating with a DPT.

On another note, I am beginning to hear from a lot of students that the application process of a school is pretty indicative of how the program will play out. I can only imagine the intimidation factor of UCSF.
I'm more interested in being a top-notch PT, and not so much about promoting cultural diversity and competing for grades with 4.0 students (I thought that's what undergrad was for)
There is absolutely no intimidation factor. Sure the classes are hard and that is intimidating...but all of the professors and faculty are extremely nice and will bend over backwards to help you. They are always asking for constructive criticism and take our input seriously to try and continually better the program. And there is no competition for grades. My classmates and I all study together and try our hardest to help each other succeed. We rarely have curves in any course, so why would we need to compete with each other? We hang out together all the time outside of school and are pretty much like family after only 6 months together.

Basically, what I'm trying to say...UCSF/SFSU is an amazing school. I couldn't be happier with my choice to come here. If you are really interested in the program and are able to pay to retake the GRE, I say go for it. :)

After long hard thought, I will not retake it, especially if it's just one school that wants me to. I am starting to think that it's UCSF, not SFSU, that wants the minimum verbal score of 450. UCSF is a highly rated medical center, which is why they have the minimum standards for their overall med center (including PT). No other CSU PT school has GRE min. requirements, because they know it doesn't define an applicant.

You can't really be a top notch health professional without being culturally competent. I wouldn't go around bad mouthing a university just because you didn't do well on the GRE. If you did get an interview at UCSF I'm pretty sure you'd be saying something completely different. Verbal is important in any patient care setting. If you don't want to do a program, then just don't do it. Stop assuming that UCSF's program is horrible. It could just be that they don't have what you want and you can just leave it at that.

Yay! I received my interview invitation via email earlier today! I should also receive a hard copy in the mail shortly. I know that people have mixed feelings about this program, but I do know that many PT's I've spoken with (remember, I'm just across the Bay from SF) have been very happy with the students they have mentored from the program. So that is very positive for me. Plus...I wouldn't have to move! Yay :D. Anyway, I will be accepting the invite (Jan 29th -- only ONE interview date for everyone) and crossing my fingers.

*Side note to out-of-state applicants who are coming -- if you aren't crazy I'm happy to offer you a couch (possibly a bed if I finally get my guest room set up) to crash on so you can save on hotel costs (cuz they are PRICEY in SF) and I'll be driving over, so you'd have a ride too! Just a thought. PM me if interested.

thanks for letting me know you heard eforma. so i dont have any false hope :)

good luck on your interview :)

Hi everyone. I'm a first year student at UCSF/SFSU. Let me clear up a few things:

1) Yes, this program asks some people to retake the GRE is they don't do so great the first time around, but it seems to be mostly a formality. A couple of my classmates got accepted without meeting the GRE requirements, even after retaking it. The program bases it's acceptance desisions on MANY different aspects of an applicant's profile, including the interview. You could be deficient in one area and still get in if you have a stellar personality that shows dedication, maturity, and compassion.

2) FYI, UCSF/SFSU RARELY has a student that has to drop. I would say they have never had one is recent history, but I can only speak for the last 3 classes.

3) UCSF/SFSU is an accredited DPT program. I'm not sure where on the site it says it's not, but you should always check the school website or email the school's admissions contact to get your facts. Hearsay is not a reliable source.

My class will be hosting Interview day, so for those of you are going to be there, I can't wait to meet you all!