When do you need paralysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiO2@21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a femoral nailing on an 11 year old the other week. Dropped an LMA in. I usually ask the surgeon if that's fine, but got used to that being fine for most of the orthopedic surgeons I worked with in the past.

Halfway through the case, he asks me if the patient is "relaxed". He obviously wasn't, so I had to choose between paralyzing with an LMA or intubating mid case. Wasn't fun.

Are there factors such as anatomic, patient-related, time-since-fracture, etc that require paralysis from a surgical standpoint for these cases? I've had this come up with knee manipulations, closed reductions across different age and size patients.

I always ask to avoid awkward moments intraop, but it would be helpful for me to know when/why. Not trying to sandbag the surgeon, that ultimately keeps me in the room longer than I want to be.

Are you just looking for guaranteed immobility?

Members don't see this ad.

Most commonly it will be for fractures and dislocations. The surrounding muscles are pulling on the fracture fragments acting as a deforming force.

With paralysis it makes it easier to line them back up for fixation.

Reactions: 1 users