When is an acceptable time to retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weoutcheafam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if 5/14 would be an acceptable date to retake the mcat before this application cycle and whether I should retake at all.

year: 5th year Transfer student
state: ca
applying to MD/DO anywhere I can get in
major: bioengineering
BCPM gpa is 3.55, AO is 3.47, with overall 3.52
29 MCAT 10/10/9
research- about 750 hours split between 4 different labs including 1 clinical research
200 hours of physician shadowing
clinic - about 500 with leadership. 100 hours in the hospital
was a chem tutor for about 60 hours, a ochem TA for about 80, and worked as a salesman for about 1000 hours.
graduate degree: will be starting an MPH in August

I did a very stupid thing and decided to apply late in the cycle(hey, what the heck) around October to both MD/DO and I decided that it was a waste of time to do secondaries so technically I will be a reapplicant this time around even though i didnt do any secondaries. I'm graduating right now, so I have a ton of free time until June. I'll only be doing some clinical research on the side during this time. I'd have about 8 weeks of only studying to retake the MCAT. Should I retake it? and is that a good date to take it? Also, what are you general thoughts on whether I'll be alright to get into at least one school and how should I address the reapplicant issue on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, I would say don't retake the MCAT. Apply VERY early in the cycle. I assume you have your LORs and personal statement ready to go, so why hold up the process waiting for MCAT scores? Apply as early as you can. Beat all the first time applicants and snag an interview. I'd say in your year off, work on doing more shadowing (it always looks good) with various docs.

IMO, You are borderline competitive for MD because of the combo of stats (GPA + MCAT) but you can get some good love from DO schools with those scores (I think but I am no expert in DO). For MCAT retakes you should look at the first week the cycle opens (ideally), count back 8 wks and that is when you could take the mcat and get your score back in time to not impact your app. ONLY take the mcat again if you know you can get a better score (are scoring better on practice tests etc). GL