When is it time to let go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakr89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been considering giving up on my dream of going to medical school but I am not sure if I can yet. I do have a great and well paying career right now but it still doesn't fulfill me or fascinate me in the way medicine does. I would need to retake the mcat soon and take classes and study with the little free time I have. When is it time to let go of pursuing a medical degree?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you had an MCAT retake previously?

Or you took it the one time and weren't satisfied with your score?

If you do have a great and well paying career right now, but it doesn't fulfill you or fascinate you, it may be worth your while to study hard for this retake and see how you do. If you bring your score up into a competitive range, there's no harm in applying. Have you applied before?

Also, when you say you need to "take classes" and "study with the little free time I have" does that mean you haven't completed prerequisites? A word of caution - if anything, going into medicine will most likely leave you with less free time than you have now.

What about medicine fascinates you? There are other fields that have similarities to being a physician that have lower barriers to entry.

Reactions: 1 user
When your heart tells you to stop.

I have been considering giving up on my dream of going to medical school but I am not sure if I can yet. I do have a great and well paying career right now but it still doesn't fulfill me or fascinate me in the way medicine does. I would need to retake the mcat soon and take classes and study with the little free time I have. When is it time to let go of pursuing a medical degree?

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's doable. You can pull it off with time. I'm referring to taking the extra classes and Mcat. In regards to a well paying career, well, I have an extremely well paying career as well. But it doesn't fulfill me the way medicine would, at least to my understanding and current perspective.

Personally I don't give up unless I have absolute no other option or I'm certain I've tried every possible solution.

But without knowing more information as to your current academic and personal situation, some of the people in this forum who may be more qualified to answer your question may not be able to give you a reasonable answer.

Have you had an MCAT retake previously?

Or you took it the one time and weren't satisfied with your score?

If you do have a great and well paying career right now, but it doesn't fulfill you or fascinate you, it may be worth your while to study hard for this retake and see how you do. If you bring your score up into a competitive range, there's no harm in applying. Have you applied before?

Also, when you say you need to "take classes" and "study with the little free time I have" does that mean you haven't completed prerequisites? A word of caution - if anything, going into medicine will most likely leave you with less free time than you have now.

What about medicine fascinates you? There are other fields that have similarities to being a physician that have lower barriers to entry.

I only took it once. I was actually looking into retaking it in early 2017 but realistically with my 50 hour work week hectic schedule and 10 hour weekly commute, I am going to have a bit of difficulty studying efficiently unless I figure out some sort of realistic and maintainable compromise...

I did apply to a 13 DO schools. I got a couple interviews, got waitlisted for interviews at a few schools, and got waitlisted for one of the schools I interviewed at.

I was thinking of taking more classes to up my GPA and make it slightly more competitive. I took all the prereqs, but I thought it might make me more competitive if I took more and also upped my GPA. I am ok with the idea of little time considering the little time I have right now, but I meant that in the context of not being to do well in those classes.

Honestly, if I wanted to enter medicine, the only way for me is to become a physician. The human body in all its complexity and the interactions between all the various systems of the body on every macro and micro level fascinate me. I like the problem solving of the diagnostic process, the various hands on skills, the social aspect, the meticulousness required in patient histories, the hospital hierarchy, and of course, the pay. It is such a great marriage and intersection of so many things.

It's doable. You can pull it off with time. I'm referring to taking the extra classes and Mcat. In regards to a well paying career, well, I have an extremely well paying career as well. But it doesn't fulfill me the way medicine would, at least to my understanding and current perspective.

Personally I don't give up unless I have absolute no other option or I'm certain I've tried every possible solution.

But without knowing more information as to your current academic and personal situation, some of the people in this forum who may be more qualified to answer your question may not be able to give you a reasonable answer.
Thanks! It helps to hear for someone in the same situation. Do you ever think about the age difference between you and most of your classmates as potential issue? It has crossed my mind before...

Thanks! It helps to hear for someone in the same situation. Do you ever think about the age difference between you and most of your classmates as potential issue? It has crossed my mind before...
If you already have your pre-reqs over and done with, unless you have a really really low gpa, it might not be worth it to take classes just to boost up your GPA. GPA is the hardest to raise, since those 3 or 4 credits won't make too much of a dent in your 160+ credit history. I think if you're questioning your self now, you will always question it for the rest of your life! If you still have an interest in medicine. Definitely pursue it!

There's a couple of students in my class that's in their 40s, and a few more in their 30s, and quite a low in their mid-late 20s. I don't know how old you are, but age is definitely not an issue! I heard from friends that they have classmates who are in their early to mid 50s in their classes! It's definitely do-able!

Anytime. I'm actually 28, but I have a family (4 children) and I work an average 80+ hrs a week. But yes, it has settled in my mind that I would finish Med school by 33 and a residency by 36. That's young, in the eyes of many, but I only wish I would've focused more on my goals and buckled down when I was in college.

Age is relative and honestly, I'm not sure how old you are, but there are countless of people that have come into this 40+. Even 50 to me is still young. I wouldn't sweat age or let that become a deciding factor on whether you should go after your dreams.

I'm normally up extremely late working on school. Many times I only sleep 2-3 hrs per night. I'm focused just like you and many of the other people on this forum. I don't think I'm doing anything different or better than anyone of the ladies and gents aspiring towards the same dream as mines.

Your advantage of course, is that you've already taken all the pre-reqs and Mcat, whereas I still have a few prereqs left and I'm currently studying for the Mcat.

In order for me to go back to school I had to readjust my schedule big time and understand that there were going to be many sleepless nights. like you said, it's all about compromise. I'm partially putting my business and livelihood at risk if I get accepted, given I'd have to depend on employees to aid me in my business ventures, but it's a calculated risk I'm certainly willing to take.

Although, cyang55 made a good point, taking more classes may not be the answer. Could you provide us with your GPA, mcat score and if you had a suitable amount of volunteering/shadowing and or any research experience?

With that info maybe some of the more experienced and/or successful applicants could chime in and provide useful feedback based on your stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
easy....GPA + MCAT are good ? ...if not, then time to give up...
If you are sure that you can do well on the MCAT, then go ahead and pursue..

When you start asking complete strangers over the internet.

Give me your stats and I'll tell you if you're wasting your time
29 on MCAT (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS), 3.30 cumulative, 3.43 science GPA.

My experience: shadowed two physicians with different specialties, went on a few flying samaritan day trips to mexico, two years as an undergrad researcher, two years as an engineer at a medical device company, and my senior design project was an app to diagnose a certain condition

Members don't see this ad :)
easy....GPA + MCAT are good ? ...if not, then time to give up...
If you are sure that you can do well on the MCAT, then go ahead and pursue..

My experience: shadowed two physicians with different specialties, went on a few flying samaritan day trips to mexico, two years as an undergrad researcher, two years as an engineer at a medical device company, and my senior design project was an app to diagnose a certain condition

Anytime. I'm actually 28, but I have a family (4 children) and I work an average 80+ hrs a week. But yes, it has settled in my mind that I would finish Med school by 33 and a residency by 36. That's young, in the eyes of many, but I only wish I would've focused more on my goals and buckled down when I was in college.

Age is relative and honestly, I'm not sure how old you are, but there are countless of people that have come into this 40+. Even 50 to me is still young. I wouldn't sweat age or let that become a deciding factor on whether you should go after your dreams.

I'm normally up extremely late working on school. Many times I only sleep 2-3 hrs per night. I'm focused just like you and many of the other people on this forum. I don't think I'm doing anything different or better than anyone of the ladies and gents aspiring towards the same dream as mines.

Your advantage of course, is that you've already taken all the pre-reqs and Mcat, whereas I still have a few prereqs left and I'm currently studying for the Mcat.

In order for me to go back to school I had to readjust my schedule big time and understand that there were going to be many sleepless nights. like you said, it's all about compromise. I'm partially putting my business and livelihood at risk if I get accepted, given I'd have to depend on employees to aid me in my business ventures, but it's a calculated risk I'm certainly willing to take.

Although, cyang55 made a good point, taking more classes may not be the answer. Could you provide us with your GPA, mcat score and if you had a suitable amount of volunteering/shadowing and or any research experience?

With that info maybe some of the more experienced and/or successful applicants could chime in and provide useful feedback based on your stats.
Thanks for that perspective. Seriously appreciated. I just posted my stats above. I don't know how you do it. You are a warrior! I thought I had it bad. Best of luck to you. I wish you the best

If you already have your pre-reqs over and done with, unless you have a really really low gpa, it might not be worth it to take classes just to boost up your GPA. GPA is the hardest to raise, since those 3 or 4 credits won't make too much of a dent in your 160+ credit history. I think if you're questioning your self now, you will always question it for the rest of your life! If you still have an interest in medicine. Definitely pursue it!

There's a couple of students in my class that's in their 40s, and a few more in their 30s, and quite a low in their mid-late 20s. I don't know how old you are, but age is definitely not an issue! I heard from friends that they have classmates who are in their early to mid 50s in their classes! It's definitely do-able!
Thank you for your reply and perspective. Definitely appreciate it. If I want to do this I just to ensure I can push my potential all the way and make the best out of this before ruling out any alternatives.

Hmmm yea...your GPA is a bit low man..also you do know the MCAT has changed right ?! ...I don't even think they take these scores anymore...did you apply when you took this ?, probably would have gotten in back then...30 used to be the avg back then.

When your heart tells you to stop.
That's the thing. Sometimes it is impossible to know when there are so many conflicting feelings and internal perspectives without outside guidance...

Hmmm yea...your GPA is a bit low man..also you do know the MCAT has changed right ?! ...I don't even think they take these scores anymore...did you apply when you took this ?, probably would have gotten in back then...30 used to be the avg back then.
Yeah I do know. I took it right before they changed it so my grade is still acceptable til next year but I was reconsidering taking it anyway to make sure I have a fighting chance. I got a couple interviews from DO school s actually but none of them panned out. I am thinking of applying to MD schools and aim for a much higher equivalent MCAT score...maybe something that would put me in the top 95 percentile.

Yeah I do know. I took it right before they changed it so my grade is still acceptable til next year but I was reconsidering taking it anyway to make sure I have a fighting chance. I got a couple interviews from DO school s actually but none of them panned out. I am thinking of applying to MD schools and aim for a much higher equivalent MCAT score...maybe something that would put me in the top 95 percentile.

from a 29, you need to do a whole lot of effective studying to get where you want....on the other hand, I have heard that since the change, the MCAT is "easier" for some folks..best bet for you is to do a hard practice test and assess yourself....also leads me to the questions : how long has it been since you have taken your sciences ? you will be rusty if its been since the last mcat...so take that also into account. Best of luck to you man. if you do get in, hope you become a great doctor!

from a 29, you need to do a whole lot of effective studying to get where you want....on the other hand, I have heard that since the change, the MCAT is "easier" for some folks..best bet for you is to do a hard practice test and assess yourself....also leads me to the questions : how long has it been since you have taken your sciences ? you will be rusty if its been since the last mcat...so take that also into account. Best of luck to you man. if you do get in, hope you become a great doctor!
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I am pretty good on my science basics, particularly physics and bio, but I am a bit rusty on some chem stuff. I do a few practice mcat questions every day just to keep it fresh.

@Sardinia Thanks. I just try to stay focused. Nothing special. The only thing I can attribute to figuring this whole work/study thing is the consistent years I spent on an extremely hectic work schedule.

Was on call 24hrs a day 7 days a week for years. And the fact that when the kids go to sleep, staying up late doesn't bother me at all lol It's hard, but I try to balance it out and the only draw back is I can't hit the gym as much I'd like to lol

@bakr89 Thank you. We all have it somewhat bad in our own situations. It's all relative I wish you the best of luck as well. Now I'm not an expert by no means, I can only go by the statistics I've seen in regards to DO apps.

My take on it is DO schools have been seeing an upward trend on applicants with higher gpa's. Many schools have averages of 3.6+ Keep your focus and figure out what you're weaknesses are (easier said than done of course).

Do you have an upward Gpa trend In defense to the lower Gpa?

I'm more familiar with the old Mcat and that verbal is low.

@Sardinia Thanks. I just try to stay focused. Nothing special. The only thing I can attribute to figuring this whole work/study thing is the consistent years I spent on an extremely hectic work schedule.

Was on call 24hrs a day 7 days a week for years. And the fact that when the kids go to sleep, staying up late doesn't bother me at all lol It's hard, but I try to balance it out and the only draw back is I can't hit the gym as much I'd like to lol

@bakr89 Thank you. We all have it somewhat bad in our own situations. It's all relative I wish you the best of luck as well. Now I'm not an expert by no means, I can only go by the statistics I've seen in regards to DO apps.

My take on it is DO schools have been seeing an upward trend on applicants with higher gpa's. Many schools have averages of 3.6+ Keep your focus and figure out what you're weaknesses are (easier said than done of course).

Do you have an upward Gpa trend In defense to the lower Gpa?

I'm more familiar with the old Mcat and that verbal is low.
You are seriously a warrior! I don't know how you do it. You seem super efficient with your time. Best of luck of your endeavors!

I do not have a really straight forward weakness because my gpa is all over the place. It doesn't help that I have a chronic illness that acts up and that basically tanked my gpa for some of my quarters which accounts for all my downward trends...unfortunately i cant really explain that on my transcript.

Funny, with stats like that you could be almost through with DO school right now if you'd applied.

Funny, with stats like that you could be almost through with DO school right now if you'd applied.
He already said he applied to 13 DO schools. That being said, I think the issue is less his stats, and more his lack of ECs/motivation for medical school.

OP, your clinical experience is sorely lacking, and because of that, your explanation for "why medicine" is cringe-worthy. If you're serious about getting into medical school, then you, my friend, need some real-world, hands-on clinical experience, and a couple of day mission trips abroad (which are basically a feel-good vacation for you) along with a little shadowing doesn't cut it. I don't get the sense you really understand what it is that I do on a daily basis. I'm sure as heck not sitting there contemplating the beauty of the human body (the human body is actually often quite disgusting - they don't call it gross anatomy for nothing). I'm also not sitting there contemplating my bank account; I find dealing with the staff socializing when they should be working to be one the most annoying parts of my job; the medical hierarchy is ridiculously bureaucratic/antiquated; writing charts is mind-numbingly boring; and while procedures are fun, they take a lot of time that I could be spending doing other work.

To help you figure out what you want to be when you grow up, I suggest you go volunteer at a nursing home or a hospice. Do it every week for 2-4 hours for an entire year. Or even better, get a PT job as a CNA or an ER scribe. Then you will see what it's really like to be part of the medical hierarchy....starting at the very bottom. And if you still want to go to med school after you have that experience, then there's your answer.

Reactions: 3 users
He already said he applied to 13 DO schools. That being said, I think the issue is less his stats, and more his lack of ECs/motivation for medical school.

OP, your clinical experience is sorely lacking, and because of that, your explanation for "why medicine" is cringe-worthy. If you're serious about getting into medical school, then you, my friend, need some real-world, hands-on clinical experience, and a couple of day mission trips abroad (which are basically a feel-good vacation for you) along with a little shadowing doesn't cut it. I don't get the sense you really understand what it is that I do on a daily basis. I'm sure as heck not sitting there contemplating the beauty of the human body (the human body is actually often quite disgusting - they don't call it gross anatomy for nothing). I'm also not sitting there contemplating my bank account; I find dealing with the staff socializing when they should be working to be one the most annoying parts of my job; the medical hierarchy is ridiculously bureaucratic/antiquated; writing charts is mind-numbingly boring; and while procedures are fun, they take a lot of time that I could be spending doing other work.

To help you figure out what you want to be when you grow up, I suggest you go volunteer at a nursing home or a hospice. Do it every week for 2-4 hours for an entire year. Or even better, get a PT job as a CNA or an ER scribe. Then you will see what it's really like to be part of the medical hierarchy....starting at the very bottom. And if you still want to go to med school after you have that experience, then there's your answer.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me and being painstakingly blunt. In terms of the medical hierarchy's bureaucratic structure and paperwork aspect of being a physician, I am probably completely off the mark on those things because I lack that experience.

The thing is I am not someone that is completely naive to the realities of clinical medicine. I mentioned in a post above that I have a chronic condition. I have had about 100 physician visits over the past eight years, including several dozen medical procedures, ER visits, bounced from specialist to specialist, and being hospitalized about a dozen times, which lasted anywhere from 1-5 days each. Many of these memories have been frustrating, exhausting, and yes, disgusting. Even during my shadowing experience, I had a chance to notice that the physician spent about 60-70% of his time logging charts. Yet, despite all of this, I still feel that way about medicine.

I am aware that I might have a slightly romantic and idealized image of what a medical professional is, but why is that wrong? Can I ask you why you do what you do?

Being the patient is really different from serving patients. I am NOT in med school (i'm a grad student applying this cycle to med schools), but as a fellow non-trad with a low GPA (3.5cum, 3.4sci), putting in the time to your ECs is a way that you can strengthen your application and show your commitment to medicine. Your experience dealing with your chronic condition will definitely aid you when working with patients- you will be able to empathize with them in a way that others can't. I think you'll be able to really articulate this in a compelling way on your applications if you do volunteer at a hospital/etc on a regular basis, and it will strengthen your application as well as help you confirm if you really do want a career working with people who are sick every day.

I think if you found a clinical volunteer opportunity and, if necessary, retake the mcat, then your application will be really great. Also make sure to shadow a DO and get a DO letter if you do apply to DO schools (it's another area of your application that you are in control of). As someone with a lot of research experience myself, I found that the new MCAT played to my strengths, and you may find the same thing. The new MCAT really emphasizes critical thinking, experimental analysis, etc so you may like it better than the old MCAT. Good luck! :)
Thanks for adding your input on here! Much appreciated.

I was actually planning on adding more clinical based work to my application, but wasn't sure what I should do other than stuff I have already done. I have read many conflicting opinions on what is and what isn't useful in terms of clinical experience, mainly on hospice/hospital volunteering, EMT work, scribing, etc. I have read and heard from so many different that all of that stuff is and isn't helpful. One of the physicians I did shadow was a DO physician and he did write me a LoR as well. That makes me feel a lot better about the new MCAT. I wasn't really comfortable with the prospect of taking that exam with addition of the new section and the revamping of the exam structure.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me and being painstakingly blunt. In terms of the medical hierarchy's bureaucratic structure and paperwork aspect of being a physician, I am probably completely off the mark on those things because I lack that experience.

The thing is I am not someone that is completely naive to the realities of clinical medicine. I mentioned in a post above that I have a chronic condition. I have had about 100 physician visits over the past eight years, including several dozen medical procedures, ER visits, bounced from specialist to specialist, and being hospitalized about a dozen times, which lasted anywhere from 1-5 days each. Many of these memories have been frustrating, exhausting, and yes, disgusting. Even during my shadowing experience, I had a chance to notice that the physician spent about 60-70% of his time logging charts. Yet, despite all of this, I still feel that way about medicine.

I am aware that I might have a slightly romantic and idealized image of what a medical professional is, but why is that wrong? Can I ask you why you do what you do?
It's not that being naive/romantic is "wrong" per se. It's just that you're going to be setting yourself up for a sore disappointment when you find out what practicing medicine is really like if you expect it to be like what you described in post #5. I'm trying to save you from making that mistake now, before you take out six figure loans.

Your image of medicine is not "slightly" romantic and idealized; it's *completely* romantic and idealized. And that's my point. Being a patient isn't enough to understand what it's like to be a physician, either. Everyone has had at least some experience at being a patient or being a family member of patients. But it's different being on the other side of that bed rail taking care of strangers. You should spend enough time working or volunteering in a health care setting and seeing the underbelly of things until you no longer have a romantic and idealized view of physicians and medicine. And if you still want to do it even when you lose that rosy view, then great, go for it. But at least you will have a somewhat realistic idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Why I do which part of what I do? This job? Post on SDN? Medicine in general? I wanted an MD to get into clinical research and academic medicine. I'm still working at my current job because these are people's lives I deal with, not widgets or spreadsheets, and I can't just give two weeks' notice and peace out. I'm posting on SDN because other people took the time to help me when I was a young and naive premed, and I'd like to pay it forward.

Reactions: 9 users
@QofQuimica I thought SDN was the underbelly of the health care setting. Ergo bestowing upon me immunity from the horrors of healthcare that might besiege my noble love of all that is medical.

You are seriously a warrior! I don't know how you do it. You seem super efficient with your time. Best of luck of your endeavors!

I do not have a really straight forward weakness because my gpa is all over the place. It doesn't help that I have a chronic illness that acts up and that basically tanked my gpa for some of my quarters which accounts for all my downward trends...unfortunately i cant really explain that on my transcript.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. @QofQuimica made some very good points. The lack of EC's from what I gather can be lethal to your application.

Depends on you. If you really want badly enough to be a physician you will give up career, income, time with family, personal life, etc to make it happen. If not then I'd say it is time to give it up.

I do recommend if you haven't taken it then take biochem before retaking the mcat and then anatomy & physiology, genetics, histology, and anything else you can cram in before starting med school.

Good luck

@QofQuimica I thought SDN was the underbelly of the health care setting. Ergo bestowing upon me immunity from the horrors of healthcare that might besiege my noble love of all that is medical.
It's probably fair to say that SDN is the underbelly of the premed world. The neuroticism that goes on here is definitely somewhat....excessive at times. The med world? Too small of a sample size of attendings hanging out around here to really get a good feel for the full variety of downsides out there. Not to mention that the pressures and stresses on attendings are very different than the pressures and stresses on premeds, med students, or even residents. Take doing procedures, for example. I loved doing them as a resident. Now? I'm grateful as all getout when I have some resident/midlevel to do them for me so I can go see some more patients. For the record, those of you who want to be future PCPs, you're sitting on a goldmine. For those of us currently trying to shoehorn more and more patients through the hospital faster and faster, the supply of patients continues to greatly outweigh our demand for them. :-/

Reactions: 6 users
It's not that being naive/romantic is "wrong" per se. It's just that you're going to be setting yourself up for a sore disappointment when you find out what practicing medicine is really like if you expect it to be like what you described in post #5. I'm trying to save you from making that mistake now, before you take out six figure loans.

Your image of medicine is not "slightly" romantic and idealized; it's *completely* romantic and idealized. And that's my point. Being a patient isn't enough to understand what it's like to be a physician, either. Everyone has had at least some experience at being a patient or being a family member of patients. But it's different being on the other side of that bed rail taking care of strangers. You should spend enough time working or volunteering in a health care setting and seeing the underbelly of things until you no longer have a romantic and idealized view of physicians and medicine. And if you still want to do it even when you lose that rosy view, then great, go for it. But at least you will have a somewhat realistic idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Why I do which part of what I do? This job? Post on SDN? Medicine in general? I wanted an MD to get into clinical research and academic medicine. I'm still working at my current job because these are people's lives I deal with, not widgets or spreadsheets, and I can't just give two weeks' notice and peace out. I'm posting on SDN because other people took the time to help me when I was a young and naive premed, and I'd like to pay it forward.
Thanks for your insight. I honestly would like to spend more time but the reality is I don't really have that much time considering my current career. I still think spending lots of time in a hospital over almost a ten year period did give me lots of exposure to what a hospital setting looks like, but I guess when it is my everyday reality, my paradigm would probably be pretty different.

Would you say that that experience is typical across all specialties or does specialty play a role in that? I would imagine specialties that have a clinical setting vs a hospital setting would have a vastly different experience, particularly specialties like opthamology. Do you mind me asking what specialty you work in and the type of setting you practice medicine?

Depends on you. If you really want badly enough to be a physician you will give up career, income, time with family, personal life, etc to make it happen. If not then I'd say it is time to give it up.

I do recommend if you haven't taken it then take biochem before retaking the mcat and then anatomy & physiology, genetics, histology, and anything else you can cram in before starting med school.

Good luck
Thanks for chiming in. I always hear this list of things necessary to give up to become a physician, but I have known physicians who have super balanced lives and are very involved in so many different things. Why is there this dichotomy of views regarding the path to becoming a physician?

I do want to take anatomy, physio, and histology.

Thanks for chiming in. I always hear this list of things necessary to give up to become a physician, but I have known physicians who have super balanced lives and are very involved in so many different things. Why is there this dichotomy of views regarding the path to becoming a physician?

I do want to take anatomy, physio, and histology.

You might be able to find balance once established in your career in some specialties but not in others if you want to excel in your area. I know some walk-in clinic guys who have a pretty easy going life, but they trade personal life for salary potential.

Balance just plain and simple won't exist in med school and residency (the next 7~10 yrs of your life), as you will find the majority of time when not in class/rotations will be spent studying like you've never done before. You will give up sleep and even things like healthy eating and basic housekeeping some days just to make it through. If there is an easy going relaxed US med school that doesn't demand 24/7 from you I sure don't know where it is and if it exists it would take 5-6+ yrs to make it through just school. You will in that time get some holidays and can squeeze in family time on occasion but have no delusions that there won't be tremendous sacrifice.

I can relate in a big way to your situation, bakr, and I have come to the conclusion that since I haven't been able to stop thinking about becoming a doctor for the past year-and-a-half, I will take small steps toward becoming one at 31 years old. For instance, since I am very wary as to if becoming a doctor is truly a good investment of my life for me, I have started down the path cautiously by volunteering at different hospitals. This has put me in the medical environment at least, and it has provided me with time to think as I walk around the hospital hallways. "Do I truly want to spend the majority of the next, say, 20 years in here?" I'll ask myself. I've also spent a good deal of time reading about the cons of this path on sites such as KevinMD, which provides a very clear picture of the downside to the path into and throughout a career as a doctor.

Personally, one of the most daunting drawbacks to me in considering such a career move is the debt load. But if you are quite financially sound, then you may very well not be that bad off by going down this path. The more funds you have that could potentially cover debt costs if you were to change your mind, the better, in my opinion. Most student debt is not eligible for student loan forgiveness besides under special circumstances.

I am cognizant too of how much this path could potentially take me away from a girlfriend or a wife and kids. Do I want that? I have been single for more of my 20's than not, so I am quite comfortable with being single indefinitely. But if I were married, I'd be heavily considering what strain this could potentially put the marriage under. If my wife were very understanding, I would be more inclined not to worry. Would I be OK with studying for hours while my kid is at a championship baseball game, for instance? Obviously I would have to deal with that. Hopefully he would later view me as a hero for sacrificing things to become a physician.

Lastly, it's good that you know why you like the idea of becoming a doctor so much. Me personally? For example, I think the idea of being woken up in the middle of the night to put someone back together and save his or her life is absolutely badass! There's only one way to have that honorable privilege, and that's to up and do this by jumping through every hoop I need to to become a surgeon! Is that enthusiasm from within enough to take the plunge for me though? Really, I'm not sure. I'm really not the best with sleep deprivation, and I want to spend more time with my parents as they grow older. I also think I need to be available for a relationship if I really want children one day. But I am going to keep volunteering while working in my career right now. If I'm still thinking about the career change come late October, I'll likely enroll in organic chemistry this coming spring of '17. That will be a major gut check as to how much I want it if I still want it by then—being able to work full-time and do well in OChem 1 and 2 would speak well to my ability to handle med school, I think, particularly if the urge still burns in me while I'm putting myself through that. Perhaps studying hard for the MCAT while working your job is a good way to do such a gut check on yourself, to put yourself under some stress in pursuit of this dream to see if the passion is still there once you're under that stress.

Considering such a change in life is certainly a monumental deal. I think that if you work towards this long enough while continuing to want it, then you will find your answer.

Thank you for the great perspective

Lastly, it's good that you know why you like the idea of becoming a doctor so much. Me personally? For example, I think the idea of being woken up in the middle of the night to put someone back together and save his or her life is absolutely badass! There's only one way to have that honorable privilege, and that's to up and do this by jumping through every hoop I need to to become a surgeon! Is that enthusiasm from within enough to take the plunge for me though? Really, I'm not sure. I'm really not the best with sleep deprivation, and I want to spend more time with my parents as they grow older. I also think I need to be available for a relationship if I really want children one day. But I am going to keep volunteering while working in my career right now. If I'm still thinking about the career change come late October, I'll likely enroll in organic chemistry this coming spring of '17. That will be a major gut check as to how much I want it if I still want it by then—being able to work full-time and do well in OChem 1 and 2 would speak well to my ability to handle med school, I think, particularly if the urge still burns in me while I'm putting myself through that. Perhaps studying hard for the MCAT while working your job is a good way to do such a gut check on yourself, to put yourself under some stress in pursuit of this dream to see if the passion is still there once you're under that stress.

Considering such a change in life is certainly a monumental deal. I think that if you work towards this long enough while continuing to want it, then you will find your answer.

Have you ever experienced that "privilege?" Being woken up at 0200 by a call phone with some night shift operator on the other end telling you there's a mom needing a crash section to get out the baby with his cord wrapped around his neck, jumping into your car and careening down the highway in the dark at 95mph hoping you don't see blue lights, only to get to the OR to see the woman tubed and an extremely scared dad standing next to her with no idea of what's really happening, and then rushing to get out a baby that's in God only knows what condition gets old really fast. Insert bad wreck, penetrating trauma, ruptured AAA or whatever else.

It's great when you can help and everyone has a happy ending and thanks you. It's not so great when you really try your best and it just isn't enough. Be careful what you wish for, because it isn't always the stuff of heroes. Failure sucks when you feel like you did everything right, but it still turned out ****ty.

It's probably fair to say that SDN is the underbelly of the premed world. The neuroticism that goes on here is definitely somewhat....excessive at times. The med world? Too small of a sample size of attendings hanging out around here to really get a good feel for the full variety of downsides out there. Not to mention that the pressures and stresses on attendings are very different than the pressures and stresses on premeds, med students, or even residents. Take doing procedures, for example. I loved doing them as a resident. Now? I'm grateful as all getout when I have some resident/midlevel to do them for me so I can go see some more patients. For the record, those of you who want to be future PCPs, you're sitting on a goldmine. For those of us currently trying to shoehorn more and more patients through the hospital faster and faster, the supply of patients continues to greatly outweigh our demand for them. :-/

Can you explain this statement? I thought PCP is literally the armpit of medicine.

Have you ever experienced that "privilege?" Being woken up at 0200 by a call phone with some night shift operator on the other end telling you there's a mom needing a crash section to get out the baby with his cord wrapped around his neck, jumping into your car and careening down the highway in the dark at 95mph hoping you don't see blue lights, only to get to the OR to see the woman tubed and an extremely scared dad standing next to her with no idea of what's really happening, and then rushing to get out a baby that's in God only knows what condition gets old really fast. Insert bad wreck, penetrating trauma, ruptured AAA or whatever else.

It's great when you can help and everyone has a happy ending and thanks you. It's not so great when you really try your best and it just isn't enough. Be careful what you wish for, because it isn't always the stuff of heroes. Failure sucks when you feel like you did everything right, but it still turned out ****ty.
That's just premed hero worship talking there. (Post you quoted, not your own).

Can you explain this statement? I thought PCP is literally the armpit of medicine.
I'm talking about job demand.

Yeah. I used to have the same view of doctors. I still do, but it is no longer just about being the hero that rushes in to save the day, because I've learned that the reality is often not so great despite our best efforts.

I don't know. I keep hearing the low reimbursement and stuff. Then, I hear about how you can make $240-250K by seeing 22-24 pts a day. Personally, I think seeing 30-32 pts/day is doable. So, I guess that would mean like 300K/yr.

Honestly, I just want to have a good job that is flexible for my time and location. However, the stigma around PCP being the dumbest physician in the graduation class is real. I'm pretty sure that I'll be over it in about 2-3 years.

I'm personally not worry about the encroachment of NP and PA considering that it's almost impossible for me to get a slot with a PCP physician in a small suburb.

I'm personally not worry about the encroachment of NP and PA considering that it's almost impossible for me to get a slot with a PCP physician in a small suburb.
That was my point. The demand for PCPs is way higher than the supply. Whenever that happens, prices go up. Midlevels will fill in some of the gap, but it's still not enough. You can give the whole country Obamacare, but you can't manufacture more PCPs out of thin air.