When person isn't home to accept medicine delivery, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poda521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens with counseling?
Can delivery person leave medicine with neighbor or in the mailbox?

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong forum...

...but, you can call them to document counseling. Neighbor requires a HIPAA authorization/release form. Mailbox is technically protected by federal law against tampering, but is not secure, nor does it get you a pickup signature. Best is to just have the driver come back later & make sure you have a pre-arranged time with the patient to come by.

Mix of state (actual delivery) and federal law (HIPAA and OBRA)

Nevada, you have to deliver to either the person, or someone authorized to take delivery (caretaker, person at desk). You will need a signature. You cannot just leave it somewhere. It has to be signed. Will depend on your state. You can leave it with neighbor if patient authorizes it.

OBRA states you HAVE to provide counseling on new meds and on anything you (pharmd) think is relevent to protect the patient. In Nevada I can do it in writing IF the medication is to be delivered. Otherwise, all other counseling must be done verbally. To protect myself, I usually call at dispensing and try to provide counseling over the phone, but to be honest I only do it to give me a peace of mind. Will depend on your state.

HIPAA gets complicating. Most people that request delivery have already signed the HIPAA logs. Obviously if they havent, you have to make them aware of their rights in writing. However, there is a provision on the actual HIPAA log for other people to sign on behalf of the patient (parent, caregiver, or other, etc). Next time you see patient, you still have to get them to sign the log, and have them made aware of their rights.