when should i be starting to schedule 4th year rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleasian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a student at a DO school. we've heard rumors this year that we'll be allowed to use VSAS along with all of the other MD students for application. I've called up a few places, namely USC and OHSU and they've all said that they're expecting us to use VSAS, however the school hasn't formally announced that we will be using it.

a lot of my classmates are scheduling 4th year electives already and I feel like I'm falling behind, and on top of that I still don't know what I really want to do yet.

so I guess I'm looking for some advice - when should I schedule my auditions and how do I go about finding a specialty?

here are my stats for reference: usmle step 1 230+, top 25% of class

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a student at a DO school. we've heard rumors this year that we'll be allowed to use VSAS along with all of the other MD students for application. I've called up a few places, namely USC and OHSU and they've all said that they're expecting us to use VSAS, however the school hasn't formally announced that we will be using it.

a lot of my classmates are scheduling 4th year electives already and I feel like I'm falling behind, and on top of that I still don't know what I really want to do yet.

so I guess I'm looking for some advice - when should I schedule my auditions and how do I go about finding a specialty?

thanks!

Now. Its 4th year, bud, you don't "get to find out what you want to do" in december. Interviews start in October. Your application goes out in september. Get your ass in gear or you're doing a DO internship while applying allopathic resdiency

when should I turn in VSAS?

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

A lot of programs, especially DO programs, have started scheduling already. There is a big chunk that will start in March as well. Obviously if you are using VSAS or applying to big allopathic programs for rotations, you will have to wait for their deadlines.

Heck, I scheduled my first audition in November dude...Get on it!

A lot of places won't open up their schedules until their students are put in first. We just got our pass things for VSAS the other day. A lot of programs aren't up on it yet.