When Should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When Should I take the MCAT?

• 6/20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7/18

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

SDrJJohnson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys it's me again.

I have two different dates for the MCAT that would work with my schedule, 6/20 and 7/18. I think it would be nice to take it 6/20 so that I can submit my application as soon as they open, but I also feel that an extra month of studying may be beneficial to get the highest score I can get.

I'd greatly appreciate your guys opinion on this matter.

-SDrJJohnson

Members don't see this ad.

Have you started studying yet?
I have. I recently purchased the TPR self review guide and I scored a 483, which is a lot lower than I was expecting. That being said, I have been told that their scoring system is inaccurate compared to the real exam so I'm not really sure how to take the score. Other than that, I've used old versions EK and Berkeley, and I think I understand the material rather well from those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do July, or even later than that. The MCAT is a true beast. 3 months of solid studying is ideal. In my opinion June 20th is just too early for you.

The MCAT is mostly about practice. Once you got a solid grip on the info, take as many practice tests as you can before now and then. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely July. You will have the results by mid-August and will be able to submit prior to September 1 if not earlier. Honestly, anything submitted prior to mid-October is considered quite early for podiatry school.

If you're not hitting your ideal score, i wouldnt rush it. You only want to take that test once. Do the best you can and remember, the MCAT is not the end of the world. It also doesn't mean that you don't deserve to be in podiatry if you don't do as well as you plan. Do the best you can. I'm rooting for you. Take the test when YOU feel ready. No one can tell you when to take to test or when the best time to take the test is for you. Just keep practicing and don't let practice test scores get you down. They are designed to be harder than the actual test. Study harder than you ever have for any other test. Your hard work will pay off. Good luck.

Like everyone else is saying, do NOT rush the MCAT. Your practice test scores are reliable indicators of what your final score will be, +- a few points. When those scores are in range of the score you want, take the test.

Almost everyone I know (7+) people who took the MCAT ended up extending their test date, or retaking. Trust me, when you are just a few weeks away from the test and are not scoring consistently high, you will wish you tested later. I would even be so bold to suggest you take the test in September. (Not sure if you are still in undergrad and will be done with summer by then.. But push it back as far as you possibly can.) The time will be so so crucial. A higher score won't just give you an easy acceptance, it will also help you get better scholarships. That extra $2-10k (rough estimate) you save in tuition will be worth it!!

If you can afford to take both then that would be more suffice. Not only would you learn how it feels to take it in a computer, but you will also train yourself to sit for a long time facing a screen and practice controlling test anxiety. But if you have to choose out of the two tests, as the rest said above take it in a later time, you need at least 3 months of good studying but the reality is, the last 2 weeks are when you actually push yourself to constant hard work. Remember, you may be doing well in all the practice tests and such but it just takes one bad morning or an unprecedented event the night before to affect your test taking abilities. Practice, practice, practice and do exactly the same type of habits and reviews the morning of the exam!