When something is called "sodium salts of organic acids" it's actually a base because it's H+ has be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When something is called "sodium salts of organic acids" or "salt of acid," or "acid salt," is it actually a base because it's H+ has been replaced by Na+?

However, when we say "salt of base," it's just a base?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you're first bit is spot on. This is actually a really important bit of info that you're explaining. Being able to spot some organic salts as bases almost immediately makes questions so much easier and faster. For example, something like NaBr or NaH can be easily classified as conjugate bases of HBr and H2 because that sodium effectually replaced the hydrogen that dissociated.

Consider this link. It may be helpful to you:
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/salts.html

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you're first bit is spot on. This is actually a really important bit of info that you're explaining. Being able to spot some organic salts as bases almost immediately makes questions so much easier and faster. For example, something like NaBr or NaH can be easily classified as conjugate bases of HBr and H2 because that sodium effectually replaced the hydrogen that dissociated.

Consider this link. It may be helpful to you:
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/salts.html
Thank you! So can you say that all organic salts are bases? And H2 is an acid? I always thought hydrogen gas was neutral.
According to the link you gave me, Br- is an ion of neutral salt, so wouldn't that make NaBr a neutral compound, since it's just combining two ions of neutral salt?
And is "salt of a base" a base?

NaBr would be considered a neutral compound, you're right about that, but let's say the question asked 'which of the following is the strongest base?' and the list was full of basic salts - it's good to recognize their basicity in terms of their conjugate acid. That's all I was pointing out with NaH and NaBr - looking at their conjugate acids to help compare them.

Members don't see this ad :)
NaBr would be considered a neutral compound, you're right about that, but let's say the question asked 'which of the following is the strongest base?' and the list was full of basic salts - it's good to recognize their basicity in terms of their conjugate acid. That's all I was pointing out with NaH and NaBr - looking at their conjugate acids to help compare them.
So NaBr would be considered neutral or very very weak base because its conjugate acid is a strong acid? And NaH is a very strong base because its conjugate acid H2 is a neutral compound?
And "salt of a base" is just a base, right?

Base strength is inversely proportional to the strength of the conjugate acid.

As you said, HBr is a strong acid, so Br- is a weak base.

Hydride is a strong base because it's conjugate acid, H-H is a weak acid. It can donate a proton, so it can function as a Bronsted acid.

A salt of anything is when you add it's counter ion. So a salt is just the base with an ion of opposite charge so it can form a isolable solid.

A salt of anything is when you add it's counter ion. So a salt is just the base with an ion of opposite charge so it can form a isolable solid.
So unless they specify the charge of the salt ion, you can basically assume that "acid salt" is just acid stabilized by an anion, and "base salt" is just base stabilized by cation??
And exception is when they actually specify the charge of the ion, such as how "sodium salts of organic acids" is actually in its base form because once they are in water, the the organic acid and Na+ dissociate, leaving the organic acid with a minus charge which can now accept a H+, making it Bronsted base?

That's the very definition of a salt - an ionic compound.

It's not an exception, it's just how an ionic compound "acts" in solvent.

That's the very definition of a salt - an ionic compound.

It's not an exception, it's just how an ionic compound "acts" in solvent.
Okay, I feel like I'm just over-thinking this so by definition, "acid salt" is just acid with anion and "base salt" is just base with cation, since by definition salt just means having the counter ion to make the compound neutral charge?

Reactions: 1 user