when the going gets tough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supernova33418

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
exams are almost upon us and for people like me there are still alot of thimgs I dont know, all nighters have become the norm and 5 hrs sleep feels like heaven. Coffee and sugar have become your staples and lately time seems to be running out. Anyone else feels like this and if yes.how to you cope. i am nervous and burn out. i need help.

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. I'm exhausted. My spring break is ending, and I feel that all I did was study. Aside from the MCAT, I have an organic test this week. Plus, the semester ends in like 6 weeks. It all seems like too much. But, then I think, it's only 6 more weeks. 6 weeks from today the MCAT will be over!

It's important to get enough sleep, and go easy on the sugar and caffine. A little caffine in corollated with better studying, but it's death on test day -- and you don't want to be doing the MCAT with a raging caffine headache.

If you're this diligent, I bet you already have a good command of 95% of the science on the MCAT. That other 5% isn't going to make or break you. I recommend keeping the basics fresh, and practicing a lot, making sure you've budgeted your time well, are up on the dirty tricks of MCAT success, and ready to control your emotions on test day, be relaxed and sharp.

Don't burn yourself to a crisp! Study smarter, not harder.

QuikClot said:
It's important to get enough sleep, and go easy on the sugar and caffine. A little caffine in corollated with better studying, but it's death on test day -- and you don't want to be doing the MCAT with a raging caffine headache.
I agree. One thing I did was wake up at 6:00 AM for the two weeks before the MCAT (including Saturdays) so I would be awake and sentient starting with the first section. This also meant going to bed a little early for 2 weeks.
I also kept a pretty normal schedule leading up to the MCAT. I work out every evening and I went to the gym the evening before the MCAT, hung out with friends, etc.
Everyone has different attitudes about whether or not you should study all the way up to the MCAT or give yourself a couple of days off. I studied all the way up to it (including the Friday before the test) because that's just what kind of test taker I am. Just do whatever you're most comfortable doing. If you want to take a couple of days off to relax then go for it.
Aside from knowledge of the material, the most important thing is to be comfortable. Don't let yourself get too nervous. It's just a test. It's not going to define the rest of your life. Remember, admissions committees look at the whole person, not just the MCAT. Repeat it with me: relax and be confident. So, when you're at the testing center don't listen to the people who are talking about how well they'll do on the MCAT or how smart they are or how big their penis is. They are more nervous than you (And their penis is probably smaller - not that I know how big your dick is, I don't. Stop looking at me like that.) and how they do has no bearing on how well you will do. Just relax and have confidence in yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do see your point and agree, however whats worse than the headaches is when your hands start to shake uncontrollably and you are in the exam room trying to complete one of your bio final exams. And seminolefan3, i am familar with your situation, i know how it feels but do not worry strive for what you want and success will undoubtedly follow.

i feel that as nervous as you get, your concentration tends to go up considerably during the actual test. Hell, I didn't even realize I was taking the actual test until I finished and looked around the room. You hopefully have been preparing and there should be no reason to worry. like most things you get nervous right before, but it should clear up once you get started. and if you freak out at some f-ed up passage like i did, skip it then go back to it, usually its a lot simpler than it first appeared.

supernova33418 said:
exams are almost upon us and for people like me there are still alot of thimgs I dont know, all nighters have become the norm and 5 hrs sleep feels like heaven. Coffee and sugar have become your staples and lately time seems to be running out. Anyone else feels like this and if yes.how to you cope. i am nervous and burn out. i need help.

I agree with those that say try to stay away from the Caffeine if it is possible. I know its hard and going to be harder in med school and residency to stay away from such. But too much coffee can get to be a bad thing. I only drink it when I'm absolutely desperate to stay awake which is rarely.

gujuDoc said:
I agree with those that say try to stay away from the Caffeine if it is possible. I know its hard and going to be harder in med school and residency to stay away from such. But too much coffee can get to be a bad thing. I only drink it when I'm absolutely desperate to stay awake which is rarely.

Too much of anything can be dangerous. But three or four cups of coffee give you anti-oxidants similiar to those is green tea, as well as a welcome pick-up in the morning.

When I'm unscheduled -- on vaction or something -- I phase out caffine. But it's not poison. If you like it, I suggest you enjoy it in moderation.

QuikClot said:
Too much of anything can be dangerous. But three or four cups of coffee give you anti-oxidants similiar to those is green tea, as well as a welcome pick-up in the morning.

When I'm unscheduled -- on vaction or something -- I phase out caffine. But it's not poison. If you like it, I suggest you enjoy it in moderation.

I did not know caffeine gives antioxidants. I've heard that it can help with concentration temporarily, but never heard the thing about antioxidants before.

I agree with the last sentence.

gujuDoc said:
I did not know caffeine gives antioxidants. I've heard that it can help with concentration temporarily, but never heard the thing about antioxidants before.

Caffeine doesn't give antioxidant power. The rest of the coffee bean does. It's basically a cocktail of antioxidants. Same with cacao, tea, blueberries, etc.

Teerawit said:
Caffeine doesn't give antioxidant power. The rest of the coffee bean does. It's basically a cocktail of antioxidants. Same with cacao, tea, blueberries, etc.

Oh that makes more sense considering most other antioxidants come from plant sources. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the clarification.

gujuDoc said:

coffee is good for you.