When to start considering alternate gap year jobs? Reapplicant advising?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuresurg613

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I have applied this cycle with 4R's and 1 WL so far...I applied to 33 schools and submitted secondaries early, but just preparing for a reapp since I am a non-trad with a LM 69 (3.5x GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 514 MCAT) and an IA on my app. Have done a post-bacc (will be done with the post-bacc in December, but grades have already been submitted to all schools for this cycle so the extra classes won't significantly impact my GPA) and working in healthcare consulting for ~1 year. The main thing I think is holding me back is my lack of clinical hours (~150 non-clinical volunteering, ~200 clinical volunteering, ~700 hours research), so I want to start preparing to reapply. When is a good time to apply for clinical jobs? If I were to only start the clinical job next Jun/July, after submitting primaries and potentially even secondaries, it would only reflect future projected hours mainly, but it will be full-time, so does this matter?

Trying to weigh my options- I know reapplicant advising only will start at the earliest next year, so not sure what else I can be doing to prepare.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should start a new clinical job now. If you end up beimg waitlisted and/or reapplying, it will give you more to discuss in your application or in an update.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a WAMC profile?
Here it is:

1. 3.5cGPA and 3.25sGPA in AMCAS (after post-bacc of 34 credits)
  2. 514 MCAT score
  3. State of residence- NC
  4. Asian
  5. Top 10 undergrad school
  6. Clinical experience: ~200 hospice volunteering hours, ~20 hours as a patient family advisory council member improving hospital processes
  7. ~700 hours research with one publication as 3rd author
  8. ~100 hours shadowing (50/50 endocrinology and family medicine)
  9. ~150 hours middle school tutoring: Non-clinical volunteering
  10. Leadership: started a narrative medicine program within hospice program and certified as a dementia volunteer, Gap year: 1.5 years of work in life sciences consulting working with biopharma, medtech etc
  11. Graduated with distinction in economics for senior thesis
  12. IA in freshman year (now 4.5 years ago) for lying- suspended for one semester and returned the next, talked about this frankly in application and took responsibility as well as how I grew from it

Here it is:

1. 3.5cGPA and 3.25sGPA in AMCAS (after post-bacc of 34 credits)
  2. 514 MCAT score
  3. State of residence- NC
  4. Asian
  5. Top 10 undergrad school
  6. Clinical experience: ~200 hospice volunteering hours, ~20 hours as a patient family advisory council member improving hospital processes
  7. ~700 hours research with one publication as 3rd author
  8. ~100 hours shadowing (50/50 endocrinology and family medicine)
  9. ~150 hours middle school tutoring: Non-clinical volunteering
  10. Leadership: started a narrative medicine program within hospice program and certified as a dementia volunteer, Gap year: 1.5 years of work in life sciences consulting working with biopharma, medtech etc
  11. Graduated with distinction in economics for senior thesis
  12. IA in freshman year (now 4.5 years ago) for lying- suspended for one semester and returned the next, talked about this frankly in application and took responsibility as well as how I grew from it
I'd try for Americorps or Teach for America or something along those lines. Usually tutoring doesn't count for non-clinical and you need something special with the lower GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi- I have applied this cycle with 4R's and 1 WL so far...I applied to 33 schools and submitted secondaries early, but just preparing for a reapp since I am a non-trad with a LM 69 (3.5x GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 514 MCAT) and an IA on my app. Have done a post-bacc (will be done with the post-bacc in December, but grades have already been submitted to all schools for this cycle so the extra classes won't significantly impact my GPA) and working in healthcare consulting for ~1 year. The main thing I think is holding me back is my lack of clinical hours (~150 non-clinical volunteering, ~200 clinical volunteering, ~700 hours research), so I want to start preparing to reapply. When is a good time to apply for clinical jobs? If I were to only start the clinical job next Jun/July, after submitting primaries and potentially even secondaries, it would only reflect future projected hours mainly, but it will be full-time, so does this matter?

Trying to weigh my options- I know reapplicant advising only will start at the earliest next year, so not sure what else I can be doing to prepare.

Thank you!
Don't wait until summer to start a clinical job if you want to apply this summer. Either get significant clinical exposure much sooner so that you have more to show and talk about, or postpone your reapplication until summer of 2025 if you can only start a clinical position in summer of 2024. More non-clinical service would also be a good idea.

Also, make sure your app presents your qualifications well. A 515 is certainly a competitive MCAT, but unless your GPA shows an upward trend, your GPA is on the low side, especially the sGPA.

Finally, apply DO and MD and among the MD programs choose your programs with care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users