When to study for the SAT?

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Sophomore in high school, and I did really bad on my PSAT. I really want to good on this test.

So when is a good time to study for the SAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't freak out yet, you are only a sophomore. :p I took the SAT for the first time at the end of my sophomore year and didn't do super hot either. If it's any encouragement, though, I got a 32 on the ACT the last time I took it, so there's hope. ;) As for when to start studying, whenever you want to, really. Get a good prep book or two from the library (I was always a fan of the Princeton Review brand) and start reading through them. The key to the SAT and ACT alike is practice, practice, practice. Do a couple of problems each day, check your answers, see what you did wrong and then try it again. Sign up to have the SAT question of the day from CollegeBoard emailed to you. They send one out every day, and rotate between math, english, and reading.

Good luck! :)

I'm a Sophomore in high school, and I did really bad on my PSAT. I really want to good on this test.

So when is a good time to study for the SAT?

The best time to study for the SAT is 5-7 months before the test. Get one of the Official SAT books by college board that has like 10 practice tests. Skim through what each of the sections will look like and at some of the explained examples, then do the practice tests. The best strategy for me was to NOT time myself for a lot of the sections and take an hour or so to do them. Once you get the feeling for it, start timing yourself on each section and see how you do.

The SAT question makers have an entirely different mindset from the general population, and to some extent, the academic population. They are pedants who flip through grammar books to find the exceptions for semicolon usage, sentence arrangement, and punctuation. They are math geeks who devise problems that go against all logical thinking in order to separate the average from the elite. They find words in the dictionary that many English teachers can't define.

For some people they simply adapt instantly to the test and ace it. For the rest of us it simply doesn't work out like that. Luckily, doing copious amounts of practice tests will improve your score, but that's not all you should do.

1. READ - When you read you are subconsciously problem solving, interpreting complex sentence structure and punctuality, and developing a larger vocabulary. Two-thirds of the test are a piece of cake to avid readers because its just another page of book. When they see an odd sentence in the writing section they hone in on it and immediately know that this is the error in the paragraph. When they recognize one of the outrageous vocabulary words they can narrow the answer down to a 50/50 guess. Reading is an intrinsic part to SAT prep and really to being an informed individual.
2. Pre - Calculus - Having done or being in pre calculus the year of the SAT is a monolithic advantage. If you have a good teacher you will probably do a few SAT warm up questions and truly master the parts of Algebra I and II you were unable to in your freshman and sophomore years.

If you are not in Pre-Calc, don't worry! Do ALL of the math problems in the math booklet and go online to the millions of websites that give video or static lessons on Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the names of other websites, but Khan academy really is a tool in your SAT prep arsenal. He goes through hard problems and explains things that Algebra I and II kids might not fully understand.

3. SAT classes - If you are able to spend the money on the class, do it. A good SAT teacher has aced the SAT, and will be able to help you on any concept you don't understand. In addition, he or she will have quirky, little tricks on the math section that will go a long way for people that aren't in Pre-Calc.

4. Vocabulary Note Cards - If you start early enough preparing for the SAT, you will have time to substantially build your SAT vocabulary. Any word you hear your teachers say at school, see in a book, or even see on the dictionary.com word of the day venue, write it down on a flashcard. Many words have several similar but distinct definitions; write down all of them. Even words you think you understand pretty well but feel a little ambivalent about, write them down too. SAT test makers love to confuse you with words that you think you know, but you really don't.

The SAT is ambiguous on purpose; somehow they have to separate the intelligent from the genius. It's why you'll consistently get 1-2 analytical reading passage-questions wrong on each of the practice tests. Don't worry about this kind of stuff. Your going to be wrong a lot trying to figure out what these eggheads want, but once you begin to temporarily coincide with their thought process, you're going to wake up that Saturday morning placid, but eager, ready to break that 2000 barrier. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually 8 or so months before the SAT. Take an SAT course. Revolution prep is very good and recommended. Take as many SAT's as you can. You should see an upward trend. If not something is wrong with your study habits.

What would you even study? There's literally zero actual content on the SAT...it's all about your testing/reasoning skills. I don't recall anyone in my class doing more than taking the PSAT (for the scholarship potential). Also, in my experience, PSAT scores are lower than SAT scores, with no additional review.

OP, you don't have anything to worry about.

On the PSAT, I made a 1350.
On the real deal, I made an 1840.

The PSAT was harder for most of the people I talk to than the SAT was. For me, it was easy because I'm naturally a fast tester. I had 10 minutes left each section to look over and find any stupid mistakes.

Also, don't worry about the essay portion. I'm an abysmal writer and managed to pull a 5/9.

Pre-Calculus was a nice course to have under my belt. If math isn't your strong suit, then look into online tutorials. I love Khan Academy, I used it for Organic Chemistry for a Science Olympiad event that I ended up placing first in my region and seventh out of the state. But then again, I'm an auditory learner. Do what works for you.

Vocabulary is a study-worthy component. Again, do what works for you.

Best of luck!

Start now. You may think that you'll be able to learn and absorb all of the materiel that's tested on the SAT, but trust me, you wont. The SAT doesn't really test anything that you learned in a straightforward manner. The test is filled with tricks and convoluted problems. Start studying vocabulary along with the CR, math, and writing sections now. If you don't, down the road, you will regret it. Good luck.

Study during the summer, as you have plenty of free time.