When to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crymzon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I had a question regarding when you guys think it's best to submit the AMCAS app. I know that the earliest day this cycle is June 3rd but I won't be receiving my MCAT retake score until July 15. A lot of people tell me the importance of submitting your app as soon as possible so I was wondering if submitting it a month after the earliest day will affect my chances at all?

Members don't see this ad.

At all? Yes.

Are you thinking of not applying at all this cycle if your score is bad, or are you just wanting to target the schools you apply to based on your MCAT score? If the latter, you can submit for verification on the first day, indicate that you're registered for an upcoming MCAT date, and then add only 1 school (one that you're not too attached to). Then, you'll be verified by the time you receive your MCAT score, you can make a list of schools depending on what your score is, and add those schools to your AMCAS. Since you're already verified, your AMCAS will be sent to your newly added schools by the next day. This way, you'll have your app in at most schools by mid July (which is still relatively early) rather than submitting your primary for verification in mid July and being verified around early September (starting to get late).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your application get verified if the MCAT score is still pending? I honestly don't remember, but if that is the case, then I would submit as early as you can while also having a well-prepared application. I submitted on the last day of the first week and it took me 4 weeks to get verified.

Good luck! The application process is a beast, but I learned so much about writing, interviewing, professionalism, and also a whole lot about myself.

Does your application get verified if the MCAT score is still pending? I honestly don't remember, but if that is the case, then I would submit as early as you can while also having a well-prepared application. I submitted on the last day of the first week and it took me 4 weeks to get verified.

Good luck! The application process is a beast, but I learned so much about writing, interviewing, professionalism, and also a whole lot about myself.

Yes, you can get verified while your MCAT score is pending.

Hi, so I had a question regarding when you guys think it's best to submit the AMCAS app. I know that the earliest day this cycle is June 3rd but I won't be receiving my MCAT retake score until July 15. A lot of people tell me the importance of submitting your app as soon as possible so I was wondering if submitting it a month after the earliest day will affect my chances at all?
Yes, it will probably make a difference in the sense that instead of your app being verified and with schools on July 15th or verified and with them six to eight weeks later.

So you could either get secondaries/interview invites as soon as July 15th or September 15th. But there will be more people that are complete by September so it becomes more competitive at that point.

I submitted my app without my MCAT scores and I don't regret it at all. In fact, I think it was one of the smartest things I did because I received interview invites in August and had even completed two interviews by the time my application would have been verified had I waited. You just have to make sure your score will be adequate to ensure you won't become a reapplicant. Just apply to one school at first so you don't lose thousands if your score is horrible. You will lose a few hundred in that case. You can always add more schools after your score comes back.

Thanks for all the replies. Since someone asked, I do already have one MCAT score but I'd like to be little more competitive and that's why I'm retaking it.

Does the AMCAS have to be re-verified after you get your new MCAT score?

Also, I plan on retaking it to jump from a 31 to around a 33 or 34 hopefully. Do you guys think that the 2-3 point jump and applying mid July would give me better chances than applying the first day and with the 31. I'm looking at mid tier schools that have MCAT averages around 32/33.

And it seems from people posting here that verification takes around 4-8 weeks?

Last edited:
Since you can get verified while still waiting for a new score, sounds like you should go ahead and submit as early as possible! The only downside I see is if a school screens applicants before giving out a secondary (very few do this, but the UC schools do, so if you're in California, I don't know how this would play out). On the other hand, if schools saw that you have a pending MCAT score, maybe they would wait until that score is available before screening you for a secondary? I don't know, but it's something to think about maybe.

Otherwise, most schools just give out secondaries to everyone who applies, so that part shouldn't be a problem at all. Good luck with the MCAT! I say submit early!

Thanks for all the replies. Since someone asked, I do already have one MCAT score but I'd like to be little more competitive and that's why I'm retaking it.

Also, I plan on retaking it to jump from a 31 to around a 33 or 34 hopefully. Do you guys think that the 2-3 point jump and applying mid July would give me better chances than applying the first day and with the 31. I'm looking at mid tier schools that have MCAT averages around 32/33.

If your score improves, yes. AMCAS data isn't transmitted to schools (the "data dump") until around June 28 anyway, so being complete mid July means your application arrives at schools just 2-3 weeks after they get their first applications. You'll still be pretty early.

the earlier you submit, the faster your verification will be. This year it started taking much longer as it got later in the summer, so there could be a big difference in how long it takes if you submit early June versus mid-July.

you can submit early, indicating you are retaking the MCAT. Also you can add a few schools at first (maybe based on your current scores), then add new schools once you get your MCAT score back -- since it is already verified, it will just automatically update and send your info to them.

If your score improves, yes. AMCAS data isn't transmitted to schools (the "data dump") until around June 28 anyway, so being complete mid July means your application arrives at schools just 2-3 weeks after they get their first applications. You'll still be pretty early.

if OP doesn't submit until mid July though, after waiting for scores to come back, the app won't be verified until probably end of August. So it wouldn't just be 2-3 weeks after schools get their first application.

Also you can add a few schools at first (maybe based on your current scores), then add new schools once you get your MCAT score back -- since it is already verified, it will just automatically update and send your info to them.

Oh yeah, terp720 is right! You can't update your AMCAS after you submit, but you can add schools. That should be really useful after you get your second MCAT score back and you know which range of schools to target.

Submit immediately. You can update MCAT scores if they come in.

It's going to take like 2-4 weeks to get verified. You would probably receive your MCAT before AMCAS is verified. Once done so, you can just add on more schools if you did well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit immediately.

THIS.

My AMCAS was officially verified 2 months late because one of my transcripts got lost in the mail. I believe that's one major reason why I may be a reapplicant this coming year. DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

Okay. So I am going to change my MCAT date to June 5 so I can have my scores available by July 5. I will submit my app immediately to 1 or 2 schools that I won't want to really go to anyway initially. Then when I get verified (which should be about 6 weeks after I submit so around July 15th), I'll already have my new MCAT score and I'll add schools to send my app to. Which, if all goes well, would mean that I submit the app very early and schools will get to see my new MCAT score without ever having to wait.

Does that sound right?

Reactions: 3 users
Okay. So I am going to change my MCAT date to June 5 so I can have my scores available by July 5. I will submit my app immediately to 1 or 2 schools that I won't want to really go to anyway initially. Then when I get verified (which should be about 6 weeks after I submit so around July 15th), I'll already have my new MCAT score and I'll add schools to send my app to. Which, if all goes well, would mean that I submit the app very early and schools will get to see my new MCAT score without ever having to wait.

Does that sound right?
Yes. But I would apply to a school that you will apply to no matter what. Schools will not look at your app if you have a pending score, so you might as well not waste money.

It's what I did when I applied (but I went from a 28 to a 32). It worked out well with multiple acceptances and I even got a scholarship offer. The key is being early. If you submit on the first day (the earlier the better) you can even be verified within a day or two!

Alright, thanks a lot for the input guys! It's helped a lot.

I have a related question: If you submit without any MCAT score (except the pending exam) to get verified, will the schools that don't screen send you secondaries immediately, or wait until your MCAT score actually comes in?

It does seem tricky to figure out which schools to apply to when you're first submitting your app to get verified in this fashion. You don't really want to put your dream/reach schools because you don't want to worry about having to be a reapplicant at those schools. But you don't really want to put your backup schools either if your scores end up not being that great and you'd rather retake the MCAT to give yourself a chance at your reach schools (since you might get into one of the backups and have to go there without ever even applying to your reach schools).

(not that getting into any med school is a bad thing, of course!)

I have a related question: If you submit without any MCAT score (except the pending exam) to get verified, will the schools that don't screen send you secondaries immediately, or wait until your MCAT score actually comes in?

It does seem tricky to figure out which schools to apply to when you're first submitting your app to get verified in this fashion. You don't really want to put your dream/reach schools because you don't want to worry about having to be a reapplicant at those schools. But you don't really want to put your backup schools either if your scores end up not being that great and you'd rather retake the MCAT to give yourself a chance at your reach schools (since you might get into one of the backups and have to go there without ever even applying to your reach schools).

I faced this same dilemma for this current cycle. I still agree with sentiments of previous posters. Submit as early as possible. You will still (for all the schools I applied to at least) get secondaries as soon as you are verified.

When it comes to reach schools, I think they will delay judgment on your application until you have an MCAT score, regardless of when you are verified.

Worst case scenario, if you surprise yourself with a better than anticipated MCAT, you can add reach schools to your application later. I added a reach school in October after a surprisingly good MCAT, and got an interview.

I faced this same dilemma for this current cycle. I still agree with sentiments of previous posters. Submit as early as possible. You will still (for all the schools I applied to at least) get secondaries as soon as you are verified.

When it comes to reach schools, I think they will delay judgment on your application until you have an MCAT score, regardless of when you are verified.

Worst case scenario, if you surprise yourself with a better than anticipated MCAT, you can add reach schools to your application later. I added a reach school in October after a surprisingly good MCAT, and got an interview.

So you received secondaries without any MCAT? Good to know, I'm a June test taker but plan on applying before my test date.

So you received secondaries without any MCAT? Good to know, I'm a June test taker but plan on applying before my test date.
Yes, of the 12 schools I applied to, I received 1 secondary before being verified, 10 secondaries within 48 hours of being verified, and 1 pre-secondary rejection.

Edit: I received all secondaries before my MCAT was posted, but I received the rejection well after my MCAT was posted.

Yes, of the 12 schools I applied to, I received 1 secondary before being verified, 10 secondaries within 48 hours of being verified, and 1 pre-secondary rejection.

Edit: I received all secondaries before my MCAT was posted, but I received the rejection well after my MCAT was posted.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks! This is exactly what I was wondering.

The solution is to just submit to one school that you would apply to no matter what. That would probably be your state medical school. But I have heard of people that sent it to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc. as their verifying school. It's up to you.