When to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amneil13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a bit of a mental struggle and I would appreciate as much input and advice that I can get from experienced DAT takers/DS applicants so that I can make a better decision. I'll ask the question then give some background so that you don't have to read the whole post if you don't want to.

My DAT is scheduled for June 24th. I feel that I should push the test to late July and take it then so that I can be WELL prepared and hopefully knock it out of the park (because I have a below average GPA), but will that leave me at a significant disadvantage as far as when I get my applications turned in? I hear the earlier the better on that.

Here is my struggle...I have a below average G.P.A. (around 3.25, but upward trending), and I know that I really need to make a quality DAT score to gain acceptance into a DS this upcoming cycle. Also, I understand that applying as soon as the application cycle opens up is ideal and the earlier the better as far as having a complete application goes. I am fairly rusty with the science material and I think it will take some time for me to be comfortable with it. Classes end April 28th for me and I have from then until June 24 to study full time minus the week and a half period from June 6-June 15 when I get married and go on a honeymoon (gotta do what ya gotta do :banana:). Also I'm taking the Kaplan online course right now (I know, I know...I've heard all the bad things about it but it was free for me through athletic compliance at my university so might as well) and will do Chad's videos and bla bla bla.

Thanks for your help guys and girls. I know this thread in no way benefits you so I appreciate the charity!

Members don't see this ad.

I pushed my exam date back twice, but it definitely paid off. My GPA is also very close to yours so I knew I had to do very well on my DAT. I think pushing it back and killing it would be better than a lower score and earlier app (don't take my word for it though). I'm sure it'll also allow you to enjoy your honeymoon more knowing that you have those extra weeks to study.

Also, I know your Kaplan thing is free but if your current course load isn't unbearable, I would suggest stopping and just diving into Chad's for chemistries and Cliffs/Barrons + Feralis' notes for bio. Since time is of the essence for you, I think going through your content review phase with the "good" stuff and getting into practice with Destroyer, Bootcamp, etc ASAP would help you get the DAT score you need. I can't talk on behalf of Kaplan from personal experience but as you said, those who have used it said it's not so great.

Anyways, if you have any more questions feel free to reply/PM me. Congrats on your marriage and good luck!

Only take the DAT when you are fully ready!! Remember you can take the DAT max 3 times! That being said you could get "special" permission to take it after that which I don't recommend. Honestly time yourself with the destroyer and crack dat. Go over specific topics in Campbell's. Do crack dats unlimited angle and hole punching problems. do crack dat reading on a strict timer. Don't cheat yourself!