When to Walk Away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

At what dollar value of financial loss do you (or have you) walk(ed) away from your employer?

• <$1000

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • $1000-$5000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5001-$10,000

• $10,001-$15,000

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • $15,001-$20,000

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • $21,001-$25,000

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • $25,001-$30,000

• $30,001-$35,000

• $35,001-$40,000

• $40,001-$45,000

• $45,001-$50,000

• >$50,000

• Total voters

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Splenda in another thread mentioned not changing a job if the possible financial loss were under a certain dollar value. This got me thinking, at what dollar value would you or have walked away from a job that is working you over?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to answer. Complicated by how good is the work environment and if can I find something else comparable. How much am I getting paid and can I get more elsewhere. For example if I’m getting $20k over the median salary with limited headaches good coworkers and support staff, and no rvu requirement, I’d rationalize I’m overpaid so would be willing to eat $5-10k without making waves. If I’m making less than the median and the environment sucks I wouldn’t accept any amount of money less than what I’m owed, and would also be annoying to admin asking for more money and refusing to do things not explicitly required in my contract.

Reactions: 7 users
0 because fundamentally if my employer is stealing money from me even if it’s 5 dollars then I don’t want to be working for someone I cant trust

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. If a job was "working me over" (outside of residency) and tried to cut my pay I'd be gone. There's too much of a demand in psych to tolerate a crappy employer cutting your pay.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand the question. Can you be more specific about what this dollar value means? Is it "what is the maximum difference you would accept in annual income to leave a higher-paying but more stressful job to take a lower-paying but less stressful job?"

Actual wage theft, or contractual changes. For instance, no good pandemic is being wasted either in politics or in the hospital sphere. So your hospital employed Big Box shop says for The Our Greater Good we will cut your pay 20% until Flattening the Curve Covid is over, and here is your new contract.

Or you have a clause in your contract that says you get X bonus or this much pay for meeting certain wRVU numbers, but then they say, nope. We won't pay that.

Just in my career I have had a few instances contract terms being ignored and with it a price tag of several thousand dollars. So the question is, how much are you (or have you) been screwed over financially before you say you will walk away?

This could perhaps manifest in VA docs who should get that bonus but then they don't, or their student loan package but then they don't. This list is endless of how this could present.