When were we supposed to learn all this?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-1 half way through IM residency. When the heck were we supposed to learn all this information that's being tested on Step 3. About 70-80% of the UWorld questions are things that I can at least say I knew at one point, but a large chunk of the remaining stuff is news to me. I'm usually clueless when I get asked some of these questions and after I read the explanations, I'm like "that's a thing?...". Clearly I'm not the only one because some of these questions have like 15% correct on them which I guess is reassuring. My average isn't great but it's above the mean but at the same time I want to know where my knowledge is lacking. Did people find that their knowledge really expanded during their intern year? The reason I'm taking my exam this early is because I was given some time off and my schedule gets much tougher from here so I'd rather get this hurdle out of the way now.

Examples of this are (spoiler alert UWorld factoids):

-spontaneous miscarriages are a thing in subclinical hypothyroidism
-make sure you test for neurosyphilis in all HIV patients
-the concept of incidence rate
-random bioethical scenarios
-it's actually OK to continue a patient on lithium during pregnancy because Ebstein risk is very low

There are millions more than I can't think of but they're basically things like when a lady's pregnant and has a rare disease, what is the second line management because the usual thing is contraindicated...like I'm kind of frustrated right now and want to hear the experiences of others.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users