When will the gravy train end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacist pay and work conditions have gone downhill since 2005 or so. Sure there are the occasional high paying unicorn jobs in CA and similar places that offer annual raises to keep up with inflation, but those are the exception not the rule. For the most part pharmacist pay has been stagnant for the past ten years or so especially compared to inflation these past few years. The pandemic created some opportunities for high pay but that was a black swan event.

All basic expenses like insurance, property taxes, childcare, car maintenance, groceries, gas, utilities, etc have gone up significantly in just two years with no end in sight. My electric and gas bills have doubled from a year ago with the same amount of use. Each year our salaries will die by a thousand cuts.

The bean counters will do everything they can to decrease pharmacists pay. Technician responsibilities will increase, hours will be cut etc. Pharmacists will reach a breaking point when work conditions and low pay just aren't worth it anymore.

I'm gonna be working another 30 years or so and I can't imagine my pay holding up for very long. How much longer do we have until the gravy train stops? I can see myself looking for another career within ten years due to stagnant or declining pay.

There are remote workers doing 2-3 full time jobs simultaneously, each job pays 200k+. I wish we had that opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Not so much a specific time....its been in decline for years. COVID put a damper in their plans, but that too is getting back to where it was (Pre covid pharmacists were starting to be laid off). Lets face it chains made bank off COIVD just like other businesses but now with inflation. that is tearing a hole in their profits.

I say to anyone: make a pre-emptive strike: save, save, save all that you can. Max out your 401k, IRA, HSA, and other tax accounts. Have a emergency fund. Cause as soon as the chains get the upper hand (as in no open positions), they will march on to the original plan they have move out older pharmacists to hire younger at a lower wage, push states to add on more responsibilities to techs, etc. to make payroll as cheap as possible!

Im glad I did. My goal is to retire early. Cause there is no way I could look foward to this profession for another 20 30 years.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll speak for me personally. Covid helped my career grow leaps and bounds. I took some risks and it paid off. But our salary is plateauing. While I feel my career grew my salary did not proportionally. Not sure if others are feeling the same push. I don’t see this being sustainable at this rate beyond the next 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's time to start saving A LOT. Anyone who has a high paying job in healthcare should plan to be financially independent in 10 yrs.

I predict that our healthcare system is going to blow up within 10 years and salary will go down drastically.

Not to spoil the party or rub salt into the wound, I am in talks with two additional employers who want my service and offer me 100% remote roles, with bonus, equity, full benefits like 401k match etc. Needless to say, ever since I left pharmacy for good, my mental health and financials have improved tremendously...I am loading up tech stocks, and my wife is already looking around to buy our next rental property.

One of the new employers is actually the three letters sweatshop, believe or not. I will be on one of their data science/dev teams, playing with big data and building models which aim to squeeze as much profit as possible from frontline workers...sorry, guys.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Not to spoil the party or rub salt into the wound, I am in talks with two additional employers who want my service and offer me 100% remote roles, with bonus, equity, full benefits like 401k match etc. Needless to say, ever since I left pharmacy for good, my mental health and financials have improved tremendously...I am loading up tech stocks, and my wife is already looking around to buy our next rental property.

One of the new employers is actually the three letters sweatshop, believe or not. I will be on one of their data science/dev teams, playing with big data and building models which aim to squeeze as much profit as possible from frontline workers...sorry, guys.
so what I’m hearing is retail pharmacy will only get worst

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my pay has increased significantly over the past 10 years. Don't be afraid to job hop I guess.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my pay has increased significantly over the past 10 years. Don't be afraid to job hop I guess.
I jumped a few times. While my pay has increased each time I guess it’s not as much as I feel I deserved now that look back at it.

Do you get better returns with stocks or rental properties?

It's time to start saving A LOT. Anyone who has a high paying job in healthcare should plan to be financially independent in 10 yrs.

I predict that our healthcare system is going to blow up within 10 years and salary will go down drastically.

Not sure how this would be possible in only 10 years. Average pharmacist salary is what 130-150k now? Even if you save 100% of your take home for ten years, that's only around a million? You need like multiple millions to be financially independent these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure how this would be possible in only 10 years. Average pharmacist salary is what 130-150k now? Even if you save 100% of your take home for ten years, that's only around a million? You need like multiple millions to be financially independent these days.
Start working some overtime so you can save/invest 60-70k/yr. You might not be FI but you will be in a good financial footing.

Start working some overtime so you can save/invest 60-70k/yr. You might not be FI but you will be in a good financial footing.
Agreed. Pay off your house, save a million dollars. You can weather any storm working at Trader Joe's if you don't have huge outflow.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you had ten million dollars you would say that it takes 100 million to be financially independent. :p

Not if there's 1970s or 1980s hyperinflation. Savings did not matter.

My father joined the profession during a similar time in the 1980s, and it just sucks for 15 years (institutional which was roughly a pharmacist made 130% of a tech's salary, something like $35k and a tech made $27k in 1984). It only started getting better in the late 90s.

You need a job that you really don't care about the drudgery. If you spend so much energy on finding a better circumstance, you need to find other work.

I found these post a few months ago:
Beckers Hospital Review:

CVS tests technology for remote pharmacists to review prescriptions​

Paige Twenter - Monday, December 5th, 2022
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/ja...e-pharmacists-to-review-prescriptions.html');
CVS Health has equipped a majority of its 9,000 pharmacies with technology for its workers to review and enter prescription information without being in the store, The Wall Street Journal reported Dec. 4.
The retail pharmacy chain said the technology maintains requirements for patient privacy as it allows its workforce — which, like most healthcare sectors, is in shortage — to focus on other job duties.
"It's really a way to make the processing of prescriptions much more efficient," CVS CEO Karen Lynch told the Journal.
About 400 CVS pharmacists are testing the technology from central locations, their homes and pharmacy locations different from where patients are picking up their medications. How people pick up their prescriptions won't change, the company told the Journal.
Most states don't allow pharmacists to work remotely, but if the testing period results in a green light, pharmacists could soon be performing tasks like verifying pill counts in bottles outside their job locations just from reviewing the weight of a pill tray after a pharmacy technician sends the information.
Supplying enough pharmacists has been a struggle for years as retail chains have shrunk their operation hours — with some receiving fines for it — because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite efforts to hire more staff with bigger bonuses, the staffing issue may have roots deeper than COVID-19, as applications for PharmD programs are at their lowest rate in 18 years, and nearly the whole health sector struggles to retain enough pharmacy technicians.
Some experts told the Journal they're skeptical of the new technology and its promise to free up pharmacists' time, but CVS' chief pharmacy officer Prem Shah, PharmD, said the initiative is focused on bolstering the company's workforce: "We have to win them back by creating a better environment."

REDDIT post from someone known as the accidental pharmacist Shane Jerominski: (posted 5 months ago)

No more pharmacist in CVS pharmacy in 5 years. Decrease pharmacist pay 50% and increase pharmacy technician pay by 25%.

My father joined the profession during a similar time in the 1980s, and it just sucks for 15 years (institutional which was roughly a pharmacist made 130% of a tech's salary, something like $35k and a tech made $27k in 1984). It only started getting better in the late 90s.

You need a job that you really don't care about the drudgery. If you spend so much energy on finding a better circumstance, you need to find other work.
And as far as myself, I've never invested but keep multiple contracts outside a very cushy Civil Service job and academic appointment that is a lifetime gig with already materialized post work benefits that would survive a divorce. I saw too many .com people in my class to think that any job is a lifetime one unless you really work at making it that way.

I dunno, I have a couple of retired Chief Petty Officers with pensions lower than lieutenant pay that would easily consider themselves safe and financially independent. Most of my retired uniform, cs, and academicians find their pensions quite comfortable with no debt and no fear for healthcare or other outreach expenses. It's what you make of it.

The point is that you want to have a claim on the system. Even if we get the Weimar treatment, holding assets was not as good as claims. You want both assets and a claim if you can, but between the two, a claim is usually better.

I meant to say saving/investing...

If there is hyperinflation, real estate might take a nosedive, which will be good for high earning individuals (eg., physicians, dentists, pharmacists).

There are remote workers doing 2-3 full time jobs simultaneously, each job pays 200k+. I wish we had that opportunity.
But you do. Why don't you go to USC, get their MS from Joel Hay and company, and be a mercenary outcomes analyst? We academicians kick ourselves when our former students under Senior Director or above ranks picks us up for AAPS or DIA. Work industry, work for the money. Its a hard life but you can be motivated to break in.

I meant to say saving/investing...

If there is hyperinflation, real estate might take a nosedive, which will be good for high earning individuals (eg., physicians, dentists, pharmacists).

Nope, see ADA and AMA meeting minutes from that era on CPT reimbursement changes to the Prospective Pay Model. Those were salad days for them too with the overload. It was bad for them as well. Its only in this unequal era where we've had salary breakthroughs and differentiation. To give you an idea of the cuts, most CPT's pay at about 2/3's in equivalent terms today what they paid before the 1980 reforms.

A critique that I have of the health professions in general is how incurious they are about how the system works in the first place. Once you understand the labor market for what it is, you know to prioritize longevity over immediate money.

9.9% problems

Been listening to Lord spit facts on this board for like a decade now. Talk about longevity…

Nope, see ADA and AMA meeting minutes from that era on CPT reimbursement changes to the Prospective Pay Model. Those were salad days for them too with the overload. It was bad for them as well. Its only in this unequal era where we've had salary breakthroughs and differentiation. To give you an idea of the cuts, most CPT's pay at about 2/3's in equivalent terms today what they paid before the 1980 reforms.

A critique that I have of the health professions in general is how incurious they are about how the system works in the first place. Once you understand the labor market for what it is, you know to prioritize longevity over immediate money.

9.9% problems
People might have different way to prioritize longevity. For me, it's front loading and let compound interest do the rest for me, Then I can decide to do whatever the f*** I want. Either get out of the labor market or work part time to keep myself active.

Thanks for such interesting Vox article.

Last edited:

I disagree, my father was also a pharmacist, though he joined the profession a little earlier than yours. By 1980 he had a paid off house and a couple hundred grand in the bank. He was earning double digit interest on his savings. While inflation was high, this was offset by the massive interest he was earning.

He did become very risk averse and never re-entered the equity market, which is the only thing preventing me from a very large inheritance.

• Okay...

Nah I'm all set with OT, I value my time and would rather be home with family. Earned income sucks. I know of far too many workaholics that died unexpectedly and wasted time at work and saved all that money for nothing.

Reactions: 8 users
Time for a senior citizen to chime in:
I joined this profession in 1986, equipped with a Pharm.D., and PGY-1. Ready to take on the world. Plenty of jobs, higher pay than almost all my buddies with BS, MS, or Ph.D. Started off at ZERO, financially and with Student loans to pay back. Worked really hard, often two jobs, invested wisely, made more than my share of financial mistakes. The profession has been extremely good to me, providing a very good standard of living for me, my wife, and kids.
BUT, I have never looked at it as a "gravy train" type of profession. I had to work extremely hard, and was compensated fairly for my work.
I think that now days, there is a disconnect between expectations and real world scenario in pharmacy. Most, majority of us, work at a Pharm.Tech. level, due to huge advances in software, IS, technology, and "Google":eek:. Yet, we expect professional level pay due to licensing.
All large corporate employers see us as glorified techs. It's time to stop the charade, academia needs to evolve and adapt. Our degree should be on par with a technical school degree, like Radiology Technician, or Dental Hygienist. Maybe 2-3 years of schooling. This is on par with the standards in the rest of the world. Future Pharmacist graduating (2-3 years post HS) with under $40K in loans and will gladly take $40-50/hr pay.
ONLY MY TAKE!

• Dislike
  • Love
I like to put a timeframe on things. I think Walgreens will be going the Kmart route starting in 6 years. Walmart/CVS will keep their current model of most stores closing at 7 pm and probably expand it to closed on Sundays. There won't be anymore grocery store pharmacies that aren't owned by a chain. There will be a real shortage of pharmacists because there will only be around 8500 graduating a year. The average pharmacist wage will be $65/hr while inflation will be up 30% over the period.

Do you get better returns with stocks or rental properties?
Rental properties hands down. Accelerated depreciation can save me six figures in taxes each year.

• Wow
Nah I'm all set with OT, I value my time and would rather be home with family. Earned income sucks. I know of far too many workaholics that died unexpectedly and wasted time at work and saved all that money for nothing.
exactly - when I was in my 20's I worked a crap load of OT and honestly I just spent most of it on stupid things (like an ex-wife).
I saw a doctor I used to work with who had a stroke and had significant physical limitations- he worked until he was mid 60's - I mean, he was ain a super high $$ speciality, I guarantee you if he had a decent financuial plan he didn't need to work that long- and now doesn't get to full enjoy retirement,

There will be a real shortage of pharmacists because there will only be around 8500 graduating a year.
what do you base this one- I mean we are at 14-15k a year now with only a slight decrease - we are a long ways from 8500. I would love to see it, but just don't see it happening.

Rental properties hands down. Accelerated depreciation can save me six figures in taxes each year.

What kind of rentals do you have? Apartments/condos or SFH or multi family homes?

what do you base this one- I mean we are at 14-15k a year now with only a slight decrease - we are a long ways from 8500. I would love to see it, but just don't see it happening.
Last year there were only around 11,000 applicants to pharmacy schools. Say they accept 90% of them which is about 10,000. Then you say 10% of those people don't end up attending. You're down to 9000 entering P1 students. Now say 10% of them don't make it through the program or pass the NAPLEX/MPJE. You're down to 8100 registered pharmacists.

Also, the proportion of women has been increasing, they make up almost 70% of the P1 class. How many of them will go part time or quit if they have kids? I can't imagine what the cost of childcare will be in 6 years, but working as a pharmacist may not make sense if you have multiple kids who require daycare.

I also assume the newer pharmacists will be less productive for a few reasons. They will have less incentive to work hard or extra hours due to the relatively low pay compared to other white collar occupations. They also will be less able due to declining entrance standards. Finally, I think the younger generation is a lot more aware of working themselves into an early grave so they won't be going above and beyond for a corporation.

Reactions: 4 users
What kind of rentals do you have? Apartments/condos or SFH or multi family homes?
It really doesn't matter actually for our purposes. We are looking at SFH mostly, to do short-term rentals. I can save enough taxes to fully fund a decent SFH in my area every 4-5 yrs, and leave 200k/yr buying tech stocks.

The gravy train will continue to eternity hehe. The train is certainly crowded now. A lot of us are disappointed with the quantity & quality of the gravy they get (after paying a hefty price for the train ticket). Sure, technology will probably removes some seats (seem like the Retail cart will be remodeled) but Supply & Demand will balance things out. Will technology make our job obsolete? Maybe in a far future but not now. You see, we currently have the technology to fly any airplane without the pilot in the cockpit but the airlines still pay their pilots 200k- 400k annual salary (and they staff 2-3 pilots per flight)!! Do pilots get their pay reduced because they mainly just program the flight plan & press buttons in the cockpit? I don't see it yet. Why dont the airlines replace pilots with "aircraft maintenance technician" who can also do all those tasks really well? We are just not ready to remove the "human touch" from any job that may need a "human judgement " yet! So if I still see "pilots" flying planes, I am not worried about my pharmacist pay hehe !

Reactions: 3 users
The gravy train will continue to eternity hehe. The train is certainly crowded now. A lot of us are disappointed with the quantity & quality of the gravy they get (after paying a hefty price for the train ticket). Sure, technology will probably removes some seats (seem like the Retail cart will be remodeled) but Supply & Demand will balance things out. Will technology make our job obsolete? Maybe in a far future but not now. You see, we currently have the technology to fly any airplane without the pilot in the cockpit but the airlines still pay their pilots 200k- 400k annual salary (and they staff 2-3 pilots per flight)!! Do pilots get their pay reduced because they mainly just program the flight plan & press buttons in the cockpit? I don't see it yet. Why dont the airlines replace pilots with "aircraft maintenance technician" who can also do all those tasks really well? We are just not ready to remove the "human touch" from any job that may need a "human judgement " yet! So if I still see "pilots" flying planes, I am not worried about my pharmacist pay hehe !
One could make the argument flying a plane had much more dire consequences if one fails than dispensing the wrong medication. If a tech or software makes a mistake it’s one patient, one lawsuit.

Commercial airliner? If a commercial flight crashes into the ocean that’s like 150 (insert number for smaller fully loaded commercial jet) lives affected assuming it just fails and lands in the ocean. I’m assuming most of us are old enough to remember the impact that a handful of commercial flights had on this country.

Edit: I’m not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree with you, I think airline pilots was just a poor example to prove the point.

Totally agree with you on this. I've seen so many people get terminal illness in their 50s. I rather spend most of my saving now to create memories & experiences while I can still fully enjoy it. There is no point of sitting on millions of dollar in your 70s and your main diet is medication and your daily activity is doctor appointments.

Reactions: 7 users
Is momus still around? He usually participates in talks like this. Up to this point I am still not sure how he built his wealth except that he is a boglehead. He's the only one I know of in this forum that has reached some form of financial independence (and I think still in his 30s) while only working as a retail pharmacist.

One could make the argument flying a plane had much more dire consequences if one fails than dispensing the wrong medication. If a tech or software makes a mistake it’s one patient, one lawsuit.

Commercial airliner? If a commercial flight crashes into the ocean that’s like 150 (insert number for smaller fully loaded commercial jet) lives affected assuming it just fails and lands in the ocean. I’m assuming most of us are old enough to remember the impact that a handful of commercial flights had on this country.

Edit: I’m not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree with you, I think airline pilots was just a poor example to prove the point.
I dont think you fully understand my analogy between airline pilot & pharmacist. You can train an average person in 2-3 months to fly an airliner (same as training a pharm tech to work in a pharmacy). Then why we require at least 3000-4000 flight hours for a pilot to be PIC (Pilot in Command)? Because there is a distinct difference between the ability to operate an aircraft & the ability to make decision about the flight. Pilots get paid 300k-400k a year not for their skill to fly the planes but for their abilities to make a decision when to abort the take off or landing or what to do in unusual situations. Will we trust technology & AI to make those decisions for pilots? Yes very likely, but not now.
If we consider pharmacist glorious tech, it is the same as we call pilot glorious aircraft operators tech. Yes the majority of my daily tasks can be performed by an average tech, but the need for my occasional "pharmacist judgements " is the reason I get paid $75+ per hour.

Yes, overtime is not the answer. I'm all for saving and investing and making as much as you can, but not by putting in extra hours. The goal is to get paid more for your time, not to put in more time...especially on highly stressful jobs like retail pharmacy.

Is momus still around? He usually participates in talks like this. Up to this point I am still not sure how he built his wealth except that he is a boglehead. He's the only one I know of in this forum that has reached some form of financial independence (and I think still in his 30s) while only working as a retail pharmacist.
He is, though I would also say he's the most thoughtful when it comes to the end if you are a retail pharmacist. He wouldn't say that though, he's looking for the big kill payday beyond just being rich (enough money to not worry about life) to being wealthy (enough money to not worry about it).

He lives with roommates who pay the mortgage and does Uber Eats in his free time. To each their own. I couldn't stand living with roommates in my late 20s or 30s.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
He lives with roommates who pay the mortgage and does Uber Eats in his free time. To each their own. I couldn't stand living with roommates in my late 20s or 30s.
It's weird because if he doesn't mind living like that why does he need so much money? Sort of a catch-22. If he wasn't extremely frugal he wouldn't have so much money, but since he is comfortable living so frugally he is saving all his money to live frugally?

I have a bit of that personality type and realized it's partly a way to put off making decisions about living for today.

I like reading his posts...His posts make you realize that 1mil plus a paid off home is more than enough to retire comfortably.

It's weird because if he doesn't mind living like that why does he need so much money? Sort of a catch-22. If he wasn't extremely frugal he wouldn't have so much money, but since he is comfortable living so frugally he is saving all his money to live frugally?

I have a bit of that personality type and realized it's partly a way to put off making decisions about living for today.

Yeah some people like to see the $$$ accumulate in their bank accounts I guess. Imagine having millions and driving your used Hyundai Elantra for Uber Eats in your free time LoL.

Last edited:
Finally, I think the younger generation is a lot more aware of working themselves into an early grave so they won't be going above and beyond for a corporation.
I don't know about you but the pharmacists I've worked with in their 40s-50s are stereotyped as slow and lazy, the younger ones often have to pick up their slack. Not saying all of them are like this of course but that's how many of them are viewed. I'm sure I'll be the same way when I'm close to retirement.

150k is a big stretch, even if it was, other fields in healthcare with 2 year degrees starting out at 170-200k. Pharmacy has gone to ****. Anyone going in now (or the last 6-8 years) or not planning to change careers in the next few hours is gonna get destroyed.

Delusion at it’s finest, folks.

More and more 2 year programs are coming out with starting salaries of 100k, and i’m not talking about 4+2 programs, i’m talking about 2 years out of HS. Why would there be a demand for pharmacy? Applications have decreased by 50%+ since 2017, current pharmacists are flocking by thousands, and technology is already in place for the day where there’s no (dull) people trying to get into pharmacy.

Also, if the rumors are true from the person who works up at CVS, CVS is already testing having pharmacies with no pharmacist onsite (yes, i’m aware that cannot be currently done but that doesn’t mean anything or that it can’t be done).

I don’t know which part of the country you are in or how long you’ve been a pharmacist, but there is a serious disconnect between facts and wishful thinking. If your post is meant to be sarcastic, please disregard.

150k is a big stretch, even if it was, other fields in healthcare with 2 year degrees starting out at 170-200k. Pharmacy has gone to ****. Anyone going in now (or the last 6-8 years) or not planning to change careers in the next few hours is gonna get destroyed.
My guess is that you are talking about nursing... It was temporary. The $$$ is drying up now for them.

I would like to know which 2 year degrees start at 170-200k?

I don't know about you but the pharmacists I've worked with in their 40s-50s are stereotyped as slow and lazy, the younger ones often have to pick up their slack. Not saying all of them are like this of course but that's how many of them are viewed. I'm sure I'll be the same way when I'm close to retirement.
Hey, I deeply resemble this remark! :cool: I am 62 yo Pharmacist. Currently working @ large Regional Medical Center. The whole staff here are in their late 20s to early 40s. A great bunch of young'uns! I can still work circles around them. No one needs to pick up my slack.
And, I always remind them to keep working hard and fund my SS benefits, which I will access in 5 years, and they never will 30 years down the line.
They all love this factoid.
Although, I can appreciate the fact that my cognitive skills have declined and find it much harder to absorb new information/technology. Then again, I have forgotten more chit, than any young pharmacist has learned in their short career, several times over.
I am NEVER tardy, haven't called out in over 10-15 years. A few years back I woke up on a Saturday with severe, stabbing pain. Wife drove me to our ER. Figured it was Kidney stones, passed them, went back home, showered and showed up for my shift the same day!
Worked as travel pharmacist at a Covid only hospital in South Georgia, and never missed a day or hour of work in 2 years.
Another stereotype I find even more appropriate is, younger folk have poor work ethics, no loyalty, and very little appreciation for the job. I see this every day at work. Showing up late, calling out multiple times.