where do i begin??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have just started investigating becoming an emt but i do not know where to start. how would i find out about classes in my area?? also what is involved and how long does it take to complete the training??
any and all insight appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Start by going online to your state's DOH webpage. Somewhere on there should be a link to EMS, from where you can find classes offered in your area (it takes some seaching, but you should be able to find it).

As far as length goes, it depends on how often your class meets- state protocols require a base number of contact hours, so it depends on how the instructor spreads it out. Mine met 2-3 nights a week for 3 hours each night and ran for four months and I'm helping teach a class that meets 3 hours a session twice a week for 5.5 months. I know of classes in the area that are as short as 3.5, and as long as 7 months.

Specifics of material covered depends on state and local protocols (for example some regions of our state basics can push activated charcoal, but we can't, so we're not taught the material to the same degree they are). But every class covers "the basics:"
-vital signs
-CPR
-communications and documentation
-airway management/breathing assistance, oxygen administration
-bleeding control
-splinting/backboarding, KED use and extrication
-patient assessment (both medical and trauma)
-basic pharmacology (this will be the area of greatest difference between states- it depends on what you're allowed to do)
-specific diseases- cardiac and respiratory related, diabetes, strokes, seizures, allergic reactions, etc,
-childbirth
-and then specifics of how things are different for pediatric/geriatric patients

Hope this helps. And enjoy!

I see that you are located around Greater Chicago. Are you in the city or the suburbs? I was from the Northwest suburbs and was a paramedic for several years up there. For the most part, EMT-B classes are offered through local community colleges. Some of them have no pre-req's, others you have to go through First Responder class first, others you just have to take an "entrance exam." The courses offered at the community college are a semester long for EMT-B.
If you don't want to put where you live on the board, you can p.m. me and I'll let you know if I know anything about the programs in you exact area.