MD Where should I apply with my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njameyers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time since my last post here. I ended up following a pretty non-traditional path, but maybe that is in my favor?

So lets get the boring typical stats out of the way first...

• Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.59

• Cumulative Grad GPA: 3.80

• Science GPA: 3.54

• MCAT Scores: Not yet taken

Since my stats are on the low side, its time for a little of the story because that, I hope, will be my saving grace for some high mid-tier schools...

I majored in mechanical engineering and received my BS and MS simultaneously in 2013 through an accelerated degree program at Drexel University. I was a member of the honors college and graduated from it with distinguished honors. I am a member of Pi Tau Sigma (the mechanical engineering honor society) and I held a secretary position. I am also a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and held many different officer and chair positions. During my time at Drexel, I worked for two 6-mo co-ops at Synthes in the Trauma department (orthopaedic implant/surgical tool design) and that is when I realized I wanted to study medicine. So after my first co-op, I added all of the pre-medical courses required at that time (although it seems that biochem is more than just a suggestion for most schools these days and I am not sure if I've really fulfilled that new requirement). I was also involved in some hard tissue engineering research in the Hess undergraduate scholar program during one of my co-ops and I won best poster among the Hess scholars as awarded by the Drexel mechanical engineering graduate student association. I was also a course grader for a mid-level mechanical engineering course, I studied abroad in England at the University of Sheffield, and I completed a master's thesis on the topic of modeling a new total ankle replacement.

I was awarded a research Fulbright when I graduated in 2013 and have been living in Germany ever since. Since my Fulbright ended, I stayed in Germany to do my Ph.D. All of my research has been in orthopaedics and biomechanics and my dissertation work is about the mechanobiology of distraction osteogenesis and the optimization of fixation and therefore the mechanical environment. I have 2 first author posters presented at 2 different conferences and I've just submitted 3 more to another conference. I also have a non-1st author paper and I expect 5 first author papers and an addition non-1st author before I finish.

Unfortunately, I have NO clinical volunteer or shadowing time and given that I have been in Germany since 2013, I have not been able to get any. Will that hold me back significantly?

I would love some suggestions for schools!

Members don't see this ad.

aWithout an MCAT score, we can't really say much on where you would have a good chance.
And a complete lack of clinical experiences is lethal. Essentially, you have to show the adcom that you know what you're getting yourself into, and having clinical experiences and shadowing helps to demonstrate that awareness. Your experiences are great, and I think you would really stand out with all that you have accomplished. But, without MCAT, clinical experiences, and non-clinical volunteering, you will be held back significantly from getting practical advice on where to apply as well as med school acceptance. Your GPA isn't the greatest, and you already knew that. But there are plenty of low-mid tier schools with matriculants that have GPAs in your range, so that won't affect you significantly from getting into med school.

aWithout an MCAT score, we can't really say much on where you would have a good chance.
And a complete lack of clinical experiences is lethal. Essentially, you have to show the adcom that you know what you're getting yourself into, and having clinical experiences and shadowing helps to demonstrate that awareness. Your experiences are great, and I think you would really stand out with all that you have accomplished. But, without MCAT, clinical experiences, and non-clinical volunteering, you will be held back significantly from getting practical advice on where to apply as well as med school acceptance. Your GPA isn't the greatest, and you already knew that. But there are plenty of low-mid tier schools with matriculants that have GPAs in your range, so that won't affect you significantly from getting into med school.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of...
Would clinical volunteer work or shadowing over here in Germany be a suitable replacement or would they consider it potentially too different of an experience from an American hospital? I don't even know if its possible and I don't exactly have much free time but I know a lot of medical students here and so I could possibly work something out if it would be worth it. Would they consider my in vivo sheep experiments clinical experience? :)

I do have a lot of non-clinical volunteer time but not with a single organization in a continuous fashion since my days at a therapeutic horse riding center for the handicapped back in HS. I'd assume that is too long ago to even be worth mentioning huh?

HS experiences are typically frowned upon when mentioned. It seems to show that you haven't done anything worthwhile since then for whatever category it is that the activity is classified under.
And domestic clinical experiences are preferred. I don't think they would completely discount international clinical experiences, but it is less than ideal.
Clinical experience namely refers to direct contact with patients and physicians (note: shadowing doesn't count as clinical experience).

It seems like you're in a good place professionally. If you took the next 1-2 years to really buff up your resume/take your MCATs, I think you would be a very strong candidate.

Reactions: 1 user