Where to apply for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocknhardplace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Perhaps this is a little early in preparing for next year residency application. But one can never be too prepared, right?

In general, which states is easier to get accepted and which ones are harder to get accepted.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Really the state shouldn't play much of a role with the caveat that you're able to get licensed by whatever deadline the program in question sets.

They other things are much much more important (rec letters, interview, cv, cover letter, grades, etc, etc).

I've never heard of one state being easier or harder to get in. Don't apply to a residency that you think will be easy. That will be a waste of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all:

I should have made it clear "which institution" is easier to get in. You are absolutely correct that states are irrelevant. I am not aiming getting into the easiest ones perse. I need to be realistic about my chances. I will apply to "dream", "probable", and "very likely to get in" places.

I would guess that newer programs and programs in rural areas would have less competition for residents.

Hi all:

I should have made it clear "which institution" is easier to get in. You are absolutely correct that states are irrelevant. I am not aiming getting into the easiest ones perse. I need to be realistic about my chances. I will apply to "dream", "probable", and "very likely to get in" places.

I would say nearly all programs fall into the first two groups.

I would say nearly all programs fall into the first two groups.
Agreed. In my experience, a site would rather leave a spot unfilled than to fill it with any warm body if no suitable candidates apply.