Where's the MD/DO border?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorFred

intensive carer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, my overall GPA and science GPA are low (3.3 and 3.1, respectively.) i was resigned to applying to DO schools, until i found out i got a 34 on the MCATs. does anyone see this as making a significant difference? or do my GPAs put me out of contention, MCAT scores aside? where does the MD/DO border lie?

Members don't see this ad.

zahque said:
so, my overall GPA and science GPA are low (3.3 and 3.1, respectively.) i was resigned to applying to DO schools, until i found out i got a 34 on the MCATs. does anyone see this as making a significant difference? or do my GPAs put me out of contention, MCAT scores aside? where does the MD/DO border lie?
The MD/DO Border? I think it's just south of Delaware...

But seriously, if you want allo, you certainly can get there from this starting point, but since you are on the very low end of the GPA scale with a 3.1 BCPM, if that's the path you want, you may want to consider a postbac or SMP. If application costs are not a concern, you might apply to a smattering of the less competitive allo schools, but know that it's not a shoe in. Also keep in mind that ECs (especially clinical experience) are important, so if those are lacking, it might pay to spend some time doing that too.

I don't think there's a really distinct border. You've got a chance at both types of schools I think, though with MD schools it'll be more important to pick the right schools to apply to and also what state you live in will probably make a difference.

Is that GPA from consistent B average performance or is there a trend? I think that makes a difference too. Either way, like Law2Doc says, you might want to consider taking courses to raise it while you apply or else apply for an SMP (though it might be too late at this point for this year, I'm not sure).

my GPA started as a 2.4 and slowly went upwards to end at a 3.3. in terms of ECs, i am an EMT for two local services, teach the EMT training class at Penn State, and formerly was the vice president of the EMS association on campus. i am also the webmaster for the penn state office of EMS.

(someone likes emergency medicine!)

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:

totally apply to md schools. I think you have a really good shot.

It seems like you want to go MD. I wonder would you rather take an extra year if need be, to get into an MD versus DO program. Some people put themself into a bind by appling to both, wanting MD, but getting into only DO. They are then torn deciding. If they decline the DO acceptance, they may never be a physician. If they accept, they will never be an MD.

yea, you make a good point. althought i would perhaps question the passion of any individual towards medicine who turns down DO as their only viable option in the hopes of getting into an MD program. i'll apply to both, and if i only got into DO programs like PCOM or UMDNJ, i would definately go, no doubt about it.