Which Aussie schools are friendly toward rotations in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jug27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering which schools are the most suitable to do rotations in the US. Do any schools have any affiliations with any hospitals here in the states? Will the schools assist you in getting rotations or are you on your own? Furthemore, which schools would allow you to do the most rotations in the states? From what i have heard and read on these threads is that Flinders is pretty good about it, but i dont know much. Just trying to get all the info possible to help me make my decision on which schools to apply to. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

My only experience is with Flinders, so I can't comment on the other programs. We do have formal affiliations with programs in the US. However, when I was there, it was in the early stages of the GEMP, and assistance was fairly minimal - not because they didn't want to help but rather didn't understand the importance and/or didn't know how to help. I'm not sure whether or not its better now.

However, you are not restricted from setting up your own elective rotations during your 4th year. I fail to understand why everyone gets so upset about doing that. Its ALL I did (ie, I didn't use any of the formal affiliations) and it wasn't the horrible task everyone makes it out to be. Yes, you have to start early, yes it takes some leg/internet work, yes you have to send paperwork in and be organized, but then again, you should be anyway.

Not sure about who has the longest allowances, but USyd and Flinders officially allow int'l rotations, and UQ allows them on an individual basis (with a new formal policy being worked out this year). I don't know anything about ANU, Melbourne, Griffith or UWA.