which books and prep course (K or EK?)are better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyD33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are Kaplan or EK books better?

Is Kaplan or EK Prep course better??? ( I assume kaplan is too vague?)

Members don't see this ad.

ShyD33 said:
Are Kaplan or EK books better?

Is Kaplan or EK Prep course better??? ( I assume kaplan is too vague?)

EK has reputation on this board to have the most realistic tests and questions.

larrry said:
EK has reputation on this board to have the most realistic tests and questions.

my plan is to get some of the 4 subject books and summarize them (take my own notes, etc to work with all the info) before any class would start.

So which books are better?

Ive heard kaplan's are too vague? EK's bio is too thin? what? I need some feedback from the board (or any board stereotypes) (personal experiences)

I'm taking the Kaplan course now and also bought the EK books. The EK books are definitely more to the point and seem to cover all the main topics, but if you're confused on any of them you'll definitely need more practice. The Kaplan books have a little more content, but it's not as clear as to what's most important to take away. Actually, I think it's pretty helpful having both sets of books, especially seeing as how you can get the full EK set for not too much (especially considering how expensive the MCAT itself is!).

Members don't see this ad :)
EK would be perfect for this.

I did this with the Orgo book. The bio book is setup quite nicely for this as well.

Of course you could do this with gen chem and physics but I was more into looking for examples of solved problems.

kaplan has a pretty decent amount of examples throughout the review material.

If you just want to take review notes then go EK all the way. If you need some examples then kaplan is good for that on gen chem(solution chem, acid-base, and electrochem) and physics.

NOTE: I took the MCAT 10 years after gen chem and physics so you may not need the extra review of those subjects in Kaplan if you took it in the last1-2 years.

ShyD33 said:
my plan is to get some of the 4 subject books and summarize them (take my own notes, etc to work with all the info) before any class would start.

So which books are better?

Ive heard kaplan's are too vague? EK's bio is too thin? what? I need some feedback from the board (or any board stereotypes) (personal experiences)

In my last few weeks of MCAT study I came to the same conclusion.

kidthor said:
Actually, I think it's pretty helpful having both sets of books, especially seeing as how you can get the full EK set for not too much (especially considering how expensive the MCAT itself is!).