which classes to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedkid1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to be a part time student next quarter since I will be working as well and studying for the mcat (taking in Jan).

I was going to take these 3 classes:
Genetics
Biochem
Elementary Physiology

I can only take 2 now. Genetics has a tough professor and will be very time consuming. Biochem has an easy professor and a lot less time consuming. Same with physio.

Should I just take biochem and physiology, or will Genetics really help on the mcat more than the other 2?

Members don't see this ad.

I say biochem and physiology. Biochem is in both the C/P and B/B MCAT sections, so it's pretty important. Genetics will at most be a couple of passages on the MCAT, and perhaps a couple of free response questions. I purposefully avoided genetics class and did just fine on the biology section. The other 2 classes are way more relevant.

Reactions: 2 users
I say biochem and physiology. Biochem is in both the C/P and B/B MCAT sections, so it's pretty important. Genetics will at most be a couple of passages on the MCAT, and perhaps a couple of free response questions. I purposefully avoided genetics class and did just fine on the biology section. The other 2 classes are way more relevant.
Agreed.

Both biochemistry and physiology would be useful for MCAT (biochemistry is ESSENTIAL).

Genetics, meh. Definitely made my studying easier, but the class was easily my most difficult undergraduate course. Could have made it by self-studying the genetics components of the MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
listen to both posters above ^.

MCAT genetics = knowing you inherit stuff from mom / dad, how to do a punnett square (4x4 if you want to get crazy), and some basic linkage / test-cross stuff. Your class will go beyond the needed knowledge after week 1 of lecture.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everybody that replied and helped me out. I am only taking biochem and physio as a part-time student