Which Gen Surg Sub-I will give me the best opportunity to do research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblah56

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a 4 week Surgery Sub-I elective that will allow for some type of surgical research?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not uncommon to do a case report following/during a sub-I. A lot of times this starts with an interesting case that the student offers to write up and the attending accepts. Honestly the value of a case report is pretty small overall, but doing this may make a good impression on the program at which you are rotating. Would necessarily recommend it, but it doesn't hurt. Doing real research in 1 month while working 80-100 hours a week is essentially impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not uncommon to do a case report following/during a sub-I. A lot of times this starts with an interesting case that the student offers to write up and the attending accepts. Honestly the value of a case report is pretty small overall, but doing this may make a good impression on the program at which you are rotating. Would necessarily recommend it, but it doesn't hurt. Doing real research in 1 month while working 80-100 hours a week is essentially impossible.

Yeah thats what I meant, stuff like case reports. Any suggestions for hospitals which encourage papers or hospitals that have high rates of interesting cases worth writing about?

I share the concerns the others have that a Surgical Sub-I is not the time to be attempting published research, even case reports.

However, since you asked: "interesting case" is variably defined. Unusual presentations, rare complications, etc. would qualify. Most hospitals will have a few; quartenary referral centers will have the most.

NB; I wanted to add that what a student thinks is interesting may not be what the residence and attending's think it is. For example zebras are nice but you're more likely to see an unusual complication or presentation of a common problem which is a more useful presentation then the case report on something I'll likely never see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user