which is best for pre med: Emory, Notre Dame or Case Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2run21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in hs trying to decide which school to attend for pre-med: Emory, Notre Dame, or Case Western?
They are all really good schools and I think they would all be similar as far taking classes and preparing me for mcat. But my biggest concerns are the opportunities for research, internships and shadowing. No one in my family is in any healthcare-related field, and I will be relying on contacts and suggestions from the school I go to. Case says there are more opportunities for research and internships than there are students who request spots (probably shadowing too). I'm not sure if it's the same at Emory or Notre Dame. I know Case and Emory are surrounded by hospitals and medical centers, but I don't think ND is, and i won't have a car.
I would really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a senior in hs trying to decide which school to attend for pre-med: Emory, Notre Dame, or Case Western?
They are all really good schools and I think they would all be similar as far taking classes and preparing me for mcat. But my biggest concerns are the opportunities for research, internships and shadowing. No one in my family is in any healthcare-related field, and I will be relying on contacts and suggestions from the school I go to. Case says there are more opportunities for research and internships than there are students who request spots (probably shadowing too). I'm not sure if it's the same at Emory or Notre Dame. I know Case and Emory are surrounded by hospitals and medical centers, but I don't think ND is, and i won't have a car.
I would really appreciate your help! Thanks!

This is going to sound so cliche but really just pick where you will be the happiest at, visit each school and speak with their pre-med departments-- they can give you more insight on what opportunities they have and it can help you judge which program may be the best.

Their all great schools on paper so I would pick based off of which campus you like the most and what school has the most resources to help you reach your goal. If you can see yourself doing a lot of research then look at the school that has the most research opportunities. If you hate research then find the one that has the most clinical opportunities. I personally, would consider finances, if they are all equally as great programs and you like all of the campuses then pick the one that will minimize how much debt you are in.

But MOST of all, just find the one you will be happiest at.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm torn between the school that offered a good scholarship and the school that I love and can really see myself going to. I am concerned about how to pay for med school. I won't have debt when graduating from undergrad, but if I go to the place where i got the scholarship, then my my parents will pay that amount toward med school. I really wanted to love the college that offered the money, but I didn't compared to the other 2 schools. So your answer is super helpful. Thanx!

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory and Case Western

I second the Emory/Case Western. But remember, your success as a premed will be determined by you, not the school. There is no best place for premed, because all premed courses are competitive in order to weed you out. As a general rule, don't become complacent once you get into a "good" school or "your number one school". Expect to work much harder than you have in the past. Good luck!

I second the Emory/Case Western. But remember, your success as a premed will be determined by you, not the school. There is no best place for premed, because all premed courses are competitive in order to weed you out. As a general rule, don't become complacent once you get into a "good" school or "your number one school". Expect to work much harder than you have in the past. Good luck!

I would recommend Emory due to the resources and the vast # of opportunities that you will be able to find to gain more experience in regards to medicine. Not only is there Emory Hospital, but the Winship Cancer Institute, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, and CDC are all literally across the street/next door. I really think the resources and the potential network outweighs a lot of other options. Plus, it's beautiful :)

But I wanted to emphasize the bold - I have many-a-friend who started out pre-med and got discouraged because of their performance in the science classes. I think their mistakes were trying to take on too much as once (i.e. bio + chem + physics during 1st semester freshman year) just because upperclassmen and other random people made them feel like they "had" to or else they would be behind. I think that's the biggest mistake a lot of people made. Pace yourself, know yourself, and don't underestimate. Wherever you go.

Last edited: