Which of these 4 courses would you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into my senior year, and I want to overload my credits. Hell, I'm paying this much tuition, I want to squeeze every bit of value out of it. I can take only 1 of the following courses:

(major: Biomedical Engineering)
  1. Personal Finance. Always have wanted to take it just so I'd know what I'm doing in the real world when it comes to finances.
  2. A class on the business of technology. This course would allow me to finish a concentration that I started - technology innovation. I had originally decided to tackle the concentration as a way for me and my major to "stand out," but I've come to the conclusion that having this concentration would not give my app a huge boost. These classes tend to be very subjective anyways, so I could take a hit on my GPA. But it's still an option.
  3. A sociology course. I'll be applying next cycle, so if schools start requiring psych/sociology/biochemistry, I'll have all my bases covered, since I will have taken psych and biochem.
  4. An "easy-A" BCPM course. To boost my science GPA
Which do you guys think would be the best option?

Members don't see this ad.

Going into my senior year, and I want to overload my credits. Hell, I'm paying this much tuition, I want to squeeze every bit of value out of it. I can take only 1 of the following courses:

1. Personal Finance. Always have wanted to take it just so I'd know what I'm doing in the real world when it comes to finances.
  2. A class on the business of technology. This course would allow me to finish a concentration that I started - technology innovation. I had originally decided to tackle the concentration as a way for me and my major to "stand out," but I've come to the conclusion that having this concentration would not give my app a huge boost. These classes tend to be very subjective anyways, so I could take a hit on my GPA. But it's still an option.
  3. A sociology course. I'll be applying next cycle, so if schools start requiring psych/sociology/biochemistry, I'll have all my bases covered, since I will have taken psych and biochem.

If your BCPM is less than 3.63, take the easy science class. Otherwise (highly subjective answer), Personal Finance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sociology is the best bet for your reasons.

If your sGPA is solid, I'd choose 3 as well. 2 could be interesting but you can learn personal finance on your own.

choose 3., get the sociology in for the 2015 mcat. what is your bpcm though? if your bpcm is low <3.5 i'd recommend definitely squeaking in some BPCM gpa boost.

OP's not taking the new mcat. This is because some schools are making the switch for 2015 cycle

even if he isn't considering it at this time, it's good to cover all possible basis. there's only so much time left for the 2014 mcat and if he has to retake, it leaves more options open for him.A lot of medical schools have psych and soc elective requirements too so it'll certainly help either.

I think my BCPM is around a 3.4, higher if I can get some of my bio-focused engineering courses to count. And I don't plan on taking the new MCAT, so taking sociology would be for admissions purposes only

Last edited:
I would Definitely go with the BCPM course to boost that gpa!

I would choose sociology because a lot of schools recommend it unless you don't think you can do good, then take the easy science course. I would look at rate my professors and go from there personally

Members don't see this ad :)
So I calculated what my sGPA would be if I aced all my future BCPM courses, and it came out to be 3.54. If I take an extra BCPM (instead of sociology or personal finance) and ace it, it would be only 3.56. Should I still go for the easy A?

I would consider that a negligible GPA boost, its not tipping it over to a 3.6. I would go with which every you have the greatest interest in and would enjoy the most.

I'd take Soc to, like you said, cover your bases.
But that's also the most appealing to me from the list anyway :p

I think my BCPM is around a 3.4, higher if I can get some of my bio-focused engineering courses to count. And I don't plan on taking the new MCAT, so taking sociology would be for admissions purposes only

Engineering does not count as BCPM. I would go for Sociology.

Given the negligible boost (3.54->3.56) would you still say the easy A?

What are the chances that you'll actually get all As in your other BCPM classes? Although 3.54->3.56 is pretty negligible, a jump from 3.49 -> 3.51 might subconsciously make a difference in the mind of some reviewers.

Personally, I would go with the easy BCPM class. If you end up matriculating at a medical school that requires sociology (which will be a minority of schools during next cycle), you can take it during your gap year or even during summer 2016.

There's certainly no harm in trying and hoping AMCAS sees it that way as well, although I wouldn't be surprised if they are reclassified as non-BCPM either. My friend put all her biomedical eng classes as non BCPM and it stayed that way.

From what I understand, AMCAS is relatively lenient on the classification of courses. I think classified a few of my computational biology classes as BCPM and didn't have them changed, even though they were technically computer science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, AMCAS is relatively lenient on the classification of courses. I think classified a few of my computational biology classes as BCPM and didn't have them changed, even though they were technically computer science courses.

That's good because there are a few classes I want to classify as BCPM too that are arguably not. :p

Random thought: Would it take longer for your AMCAS to verify if they have to adjust some of your courses?