Which school is your first choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NubianPrincess said:
Come on, share your dream school. In all honesty, I think that my first choice dream school is either UPenn or Duke. How about yours?

What a coincidence! My dream schools were Penn and Duke. I'm starting up at Penn in 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Gotta list the top four: JHU, Penn, Yale, Columbia

However, I probably won't see any of these....

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream school is one that I get a great education, plus plenty of time to party and be HUMAN. A school where learn enough to make a 270 on the Step 1 while simultaneously getting 6-8 hrs of sleep every night. An institution that will surely graduate me in 4 years with publications, but also gave me free time to sit in on the audience of a Jerry Springer taping. This is my dream school. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. Until then, I'm stickin with Penn... which is "dreamy" enough for me right now

UCSF. there's no way, man...
and UCSD because i wouldn't have to move, and it's still probably beyond my aspirations.

willthatsall said:
#'s 1-5: Harvard, Wash U, Hopkins, Duke, UPenn. UMich would be alright as a backup if I don't get into one of those. I really like the locations and faculty at these schools. And the teaching methods. :thumbup:
What a coincidence! That's my exact list, too!!!

CoronaMan said:
My dream school is one that I get a great education, plus plenty of time to party and be HUMAN. A school where learn enough to make a 270 on the Step 1 while simultaneously getting 6-8 hrs of sleep every night. An institution that will surely graduate me in 4 years with publications, but also gave me free time to sit in on the audience of a Jerry Springer taping. This is my dream school. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.

I love this :thumbup:

I have been reluctant to post here for fear of jinxing myself, but here goes anyway ;)

Yale: awesome curriculum, encourages research (plus world class immunology group), reputation, low cost of living (we can uy a house and have a yard), 1 hour from NYC, great rep (of course)

Vandy, Harvard, UCSF in that order.

OK, this is the best thread on here right now. So why are your dream schools your dream schools? Penn was mine bc of the curriculum, the faculty, and the fact that the students all seemed like normal people (at least the ones who came out on interview day and Penn Preview). I also like Philly as a city... everything's within close proximity and it just seems to be the ideal city to be a student. I liked Duke bc of their curriculum also, but nothing else attracted me to them. Baylor was cool bc of their curriculum (curriculum matters to me!) and the TX Medical Center is phenomenal. UTSW was even better than Baylor, but since they're a state school, they couldn't come with as good a financial package. Hopkins looks good on paper. No real reason why I applied there except that Hopkins is the 1st name in medicine. Overall, I think Penn is the best medical school. The structure of the curriculum is great, you have wide variety of electives you can do (and can do up to 12 of them!... won't find this in ANY other school), plus the oppurtunities to do research are unique. Penn's my fav school, but I still haven't found that PERFECT dream school that I elluded to earlier =)

pauleuglis said:
Excuse me? There ARE physics majors and other students interested in theoretical physics that do ultimately decide to go to medical school. The answers to their questions may not be found in intro textbooks.

Sure, that is obviously true, but do you really think it's appropriate for a medical student to go knocking on the door of some busy, world famous physicist to ask such questions? That's what the poster was saying they wanted to do. I have a hard time believing that the big wigs in the field of theoretical physics are going to take any med student too seriously. Anyway, if you cared so much that you needed the personal expertise of such people, you'd go to physics grad school and make a name for yourself, end of story. Besides, I think the *average* med student could find most of their questions answered in a textbook, seeing as the average matriculant has like what--a 10 in PS on the MCAT or thereabouts? So there's plenty of physics for med students to learn just from the basic textbook.

Got into my first choice school--Uniformed Services University. Full tuition, fees, textbooks, equipments, and a PDA are provided at the courtesy of the United States military. In addition, I get Lieutenant pay for going to school--salary, food allowance, and housing allowance--total up to be around mid $40,000 per year. What's the catch? 7 years of practice for the military after you get your MD, and you switch to Captain pay grade the day you graduate....I don't know any other better paying residency program.

Colorado or one of the Texas schools would be ideal. I guess Southwestern.

I guess I could see staying in Pittsburgh (cool enough city to grow up in), but I've always been in love with the west.

MICHIGAN.....GO BLUE ;)

Actually, I'd have to say my real first choice is Mayo, but my realistic first choice has gotta be UMICH.