Which schools churn out a lot of Emergency Physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krebse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys-

Anyone know, or know where I can find out, the "specialties" of specific schools? For instance, U of MN @ Duluth is huge on primary care, Wash U is known for research, but what about schools known for Emergency medicine or having strong EMS ties? I've found residency placement data on the schools websites, but I'm looking for a better way than scouring each individual site - any advice or insight? Thanks!

Liz

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best bet is to look at schools in large urban areas. For example i believe charity hospital in New orleans which I know is affiliated with Tulane and am pretty sure w/ LSU NO sees lots of trauma cases as it is a rough city. As a matter of fact the dean at Tulane was telling us that you will see things in new orleans that you wouldn't anywhere else. I think I heard something about Temple and pretty much any school in philadelphia having active Emergency Rooms. You should also check out the EM forum. This is one of the reasons I applied only to schools that were in large cities or if they weren't, they provided most of the medical care for a large area.

Virtually every trama case in the entire Washington DC goes to GWU. They have a great emergency room. Also, UMD is known for their shock trama unit and it being one of the best in the biz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado has close ties with Denver Health (one of the top EM programs in the nation) and every year multiple CU students match at Denver Health (3 this past year, 5 before that etc). I think any school that is affiliated with a top EM residency program would be strong. Thus, Tulane with Charity, UMD with Baltimore Shock Trauma, University of Cincinatti with the Univ of Cincinatti EM program etc. To see the top EM programs due a search in the EM forum. It has been discussed many times in the past 3 months.

I've heard here on SDN that Cinci has a pretty good ED

Good schools for EM prospects:
University of Pittsburgh (top-notch EM program)
University of Cincinnati (top EM program--1st in the country)
Indiana University (top EM program)
Tulane (New Orleans is f#*ng crazy)
University of Colorado (affil. with Denver Health)
Wayne State (affiliation with Detroit Receiving)
UNC Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
Emory
U Michigan (sends a lot of students into top EM residencies and the ED at Michigan is supposedly excellent)

I'm sure there are other schools, but these are the only ones that I know of.

Pitt had a sick EM match last year, one of the best in the country.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can land a spot in a top EM program from just about any med school in the country. I know of several unranked med schools (including one school where I applied) that consistently send grads to top EM programs. It's my understanding that EM is competitive, but not nearly as competitive as orthopaedics, plastic surgery, and a few other specialties. Sure, if you look at the match lists for top med schools, you'll see more EM matches at prestigious hospitals (e.g., Brigham and Women's Hospital). BUT emergency medicine is kind of weird--the best programs (according to EM residents in the graduate residency forum) typically are not household names. For example, I sincerely doubt that anyone has heard of Hennepin County, yet the EM program there is supposed to be absolutely amazing--one of the very best in the country. Same thing with the University of Cincinnati. In fact, the matches at middle tier med schools for EM tend to be better than the matches at top 10 med schools. I don't know why. At any rate, just something to consider. Good luck to you.

EM is a great field, but its relative newness has caused it to be slowly adopted by the "usual suspects" (Harvard, Penn, etc). A lot of "top" med schools dont have or only recently started EM depts because of turf issues with IM (that didnt want to give up sovereignty). As the amount of academic literature increases though and it becomes fully distinct from other departments, it seems like EM will be established at more schools.

Aside from those schools already mentioned, other "good" programs are supposedly:

UCLA
UC-Davis
UCSD
USC
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Indiana
Ohio State
Boston U
Brown

Most of these schools have strong ER depts (esp. for residency), so generally their med school matches are more likely to be ER-oriented.

I understand that UCSF has a great program as does the various Chicago and New York area schools. USC's program is also supposed to be excellent.

I am headed down the same path- emergency medicine or bust!

I've been told by a few people that Einstein trains you very well for EM

i think king/drew also has a good ER. their residents score pretty high as well.

Any decent allopathic med student should be able to match EM fairly easily, and the only thing that really matters when considering EM programs is to make sure the total volume is adequate and it isn't malignant. Most are 3 years....some are 4. If you want to do academic EM it's best to choose a 4 year program or do one of the few EM fellowships(toxicology for example).

Based on the match lists, it's not really important what medical school you go to for matching EM. You probably have a better shot at matching at Denver or Cinci from a top 20 school, but since prestige isn't all that important in EM and fellowships are usually not that desired, it's not a huge deal.

I am writing in response to the incorrect posting about GW receiving virtually all of the trauma cases in D.C. It is true that GW may see more trauma than many non-urban hospitals, but outside of that, not really. Since the closing of DC General, in S.E. D.C., the primary trauma center east of the Anacostia River, I know that there has been a spike in trauma received at GW. However, if you want trauma in DC your best bet is to go observe a couple of shifts at Howard. Awsome ED. I have also spent time at Temple. In terms of trauma volume, I have never consistently seen anything like it. As a med student, beyond making contacts, there would not be much interaction with the ED unless someone chose to do an elective clerkship or something. It's not part of the medical school curriculum as far as I know. Here's a thought though: Major academic medical centers have specialty surgical teams on, if not 24hrs, most of the time. Often the ED residents play more of a supportive role to the surgical teams in the ED where such a relationship exists. What about considering training some place that is not a level 1 trauma center? Bet you'd get more hands on as opposed to observing surgeons run the show. Trauma needs a surgeon and an operating room. The ED serves as a triage and initial assessment site only. Unless ofcourse you have a field trauma arrest. Then I guess most of the resusitation attempt will occur in the ED, but still under surgeons direction. Very seldom do those patients survive to leave the hospital.