Which schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpatel24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3.9 GPA cum, 3.8 science GPA, and 4.0 non-science right now. I have been averaging 21 AA, 21 TS on my practice DATs. I have 100+ hours volunteering and shadowing, but no research (I hate the type research my undergrad has to offer, but I am very interested in planning to do clinical research in dental school).

However, I'm just 19 (avg. age according to 2014 ADEA is like 24ish) and I will be graduating in 3 years with a B.S. degree. How bad will this affect me when compared with students who studied the traditional 4 years and obtained a bachelors degree? Do I have to be picky in choosing which schools to apply to? My home state is CA, so should I apply to UCLA, UCSF, USC, UOP or should I wait until next year and apply once I get my B.S.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand your question. Are you freshman right now? 19+3= 22 which is completely ordinary graduating age.

However, I'm just 19 (avg. age according to 2014 ADEA is like 24ish) and I will be graduating in 3 years with a B.S. degree....should I wait until next year and apply once I get my B.S.

so are you getting your B.S in 3 years or next year...?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he is getting his BS next year. I think he means he is spending 3 years total in undergrad. Yes, OP, you can apply. You will not be looked at badly for graduating early.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything seems pretty great to me, but make sure you have at least 100 shadowing hours separate from volunteering. I'd also try to get a bit more involved with volunteering. Even if you just find one activity and commit to volunteering 3 hours a week with it, those hours can add up over the course of a year.

Research (or lack thereof) isn't a huge factor.

Okay... So he's a 19 year old sophomore who is on track on graduating his junior year.

Then to op: You don't need your B.S to apply; it doesn't really matter as long as you get it before you matriculate in most cases. The only concern, if any, is that you are 19 and only have two years of undergraduate coursework.

You can check out the age range yourself: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2012-age-and-ds-admission-2006-2011.945567/

Yeah, I'm graduating in my junior year and I am a sophomore right now. Would 2 years of coursework look bad. I took all the major prerequisites and a few upper level classes including biochemistry. I am planning to take physiology and anatomy my junior year. So should I still apply this cycle?

Yeah, I'm graduating in my junior year and I am a sophomore right now. Would 2 years of coursework look bad. I took all the major prerequisites and a few upper level classes including biochemistry. I am planning to take physiology and anatomy my junior year. So should I still apply this cycle?

Everything looks good.

Thanks, do you think I have a decent chance to get into my state schools

Thanks, do you think I have a decent chance to get into my state schools
why not? your GPA is fine and if you do well on your DATs, you are set

Stop being hesitant. You sound like me. Your stats are great. I would bet money that you get accepted somewhere. Cheers.