Which study materials did you find the MOST helpful for taking the actual DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Ultimate Post-DAT Poll!

What type of study materials did you find MOST helpful for taking the actual DAT and which do you recommend?

This is a multiple options poll: Please choose one option or several options which were most helpful.

If anybody used any really helpful materials that aren't listed here - please feel free to add them!

Note: This poll implies that you have already taken the DAT and know what you are talking about. If you haven't taken the DAT yet, please refrain from voting until you have taken the DAT and can contribute to this poll!

Also, if the "other" option is chosen.. please post what the DAT study material is!!!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember reading somewhere on the forum about the number of questions to be expected on each topic ADA listed. Anyone knows where I can get this information from? Thanks.

I remember reading somewhere on the forum about the number of questions to be expected on each topic ADA listed. Anyone knows where I can get this information from? Thanks.

Barron's DAT has this specified in its content review.

It's a name of a DAT prep software, where you get to see the trial before deciding whether or not to pay for the licensed version. Have the DEMO tried out if you've not already done so.

How do you get the trial installed on the computer? Does it work on Windows Vista?

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking both the MCAT and the DAT may likely affect your application to the dental schools, as most ADCOMs would certainly ask your intention of doing so.

Taking both the MCAT and the DAT may likely affect your application to the dental schools, as most ADCOMs would certainly ask your intention of doing so.

Oh ... really? I wasn't aware of that.

It shouldn't matter taking more than one standardized test in an application cycle, cuz the more you expect, the more you should try. ;)

Hi i recently took the DATs..I was very disappointed with my math score. My math is probably my weakest section and need to relearn all the material...I need a book thats easy to follow with lots of explanations and easy to follow...I need to relearn the algera, trig, and everything else...Can anyone recommend a good book for me? Thank You

Hi i recently took the DATs..I was very disappointed with my math score. My math is probably my weakest section and need to relearn all the material...I need a book thats easy to follow with lots of explanations and easy to follow...I need to relearn the algera, trig, and everything else...Can anyone recommend a good book for me? Thank You

Any textbook on college algebra (edition doesn't matter) from a used book center which usually charges 5 bucks per book is golden.

I heard that students with learning disability are entitled to extended time on the DAT. How do you actually go about making this happen on the real thing?

I heard that students with learning disability are entitled to extended time on the DAT. How do you actually go about making this happen on the real thing?

You'll have to call ADA for a special administration of this. Get your adviser to involve per chance this would help substantiate the approval your request.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be awesome if you were given extra time on the DAT. Wouldn't the scores shoot up significantly because of this privilege?

Having extended time on the DAT may likely work against your application to the dental schools, as I'm pretty sure this will be reflected on your DAT scores rendering the test as non-standardized.

Having extended time on the DAT may likely work against your application to the dental schools, as I'm pretty sure this will be reflected on your DAT scores rendering the test as non-standardized.

Really? That's kind of disturbing though.

I think the emphasis here is to have the DAT nailed with the extra time given. With the stellar scores you have, there are bound to be some schools impressed with your achievement, and per chance offering you with their scholarships. :love:

Just curious. How much longer do you actually get on the extended timer thing?

I think the emphasis here is to have the DAT nailed with the extra time given. With the stellar scores you have, there are bound to be some schools impressed with your achievement, and per chance offering you with their scholarships. :love:

I've heard of students with learning disabilities getting double scholarship at UCLA, primarily because of the great DAT scores achieved.:xf:

I've heard of students with learning disabilities getting double scholarship at UCLA, primarily because of the great DAT scores achieved.:xf:

What amount of scholarship do you usually get?

unless you are applying to case western's md/dmd program

Are there any DAT Audio study materials out there?

Audiolearn DAT – Audio CD. With only 3 out of 219 people voted for it, it should serve as a secondary learning source for DAT if you are really interested in the product.:luck:

Audiolearn DAT – Audio CD. With only 3 out of 219 people voted for it, it should serve as a secondary learning source for DAT if you are really interested in the product.:luck:

I think they now have mp3 format that you can download to your ipod.

I kept getting a message that something is missing and that the software needs to be re-installed when I was trying to look at the DEMO. Am I missing any step to make it run?

Run it as administrator.

It's usually 10 - 20 grands depending on how available the fund is.

There are actually many other sources that you can ask for funding help. Check this out with the schools and the seniors you know of. I have heard of students getting as much as 40K of aids and scholarships a year. :thumbup:

Run it as administrator.

NVM. I think there is now a Mac version for DAT Achiever. Call or email the company, as this would currently take special arrangement to have it work on your Macbook according to what I hear from them.:cool:

NVM. I think there is now a Mac version for DAT Achiever. Call or email the company, as this would currently take special arrangement to have it work on your Macbook according to what I hear from them.:cool:

A Mac version from Achiever? Isn't that a great news to the pre-dental students?

Is there a Mac version of Achiever? I didn't see one on their website...

It isn't on their website yet. You would have to contact them to have this manually work out through a few links they are going to email you.:luck:

I forgot to ask, i.e, are the questions updated in Achiever's Mac software, since this sounds like something new out there?

I forgot to ask, i.e, are the questions updated in Achiever's Mac software, since this sounds like something new out there?

I heard the reading and the maths sections have been revised to better reflect the difficult part of the DAT.

Is the Windows version updated too like it is in the Mac?

It will have to be, as quoted from their homepage message:

"Because you asked, the programs are now Mac and Windows compatible. Not only that, the design of the software allows us to constantly update contents of the tests to reflect the closest representation of problems you are going to see at the testing centers ..."