Technology Which wi-fi pda to get- not iphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calespine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I've been reading a lot of hype about iPod touch on SDN, and I'm trying to decide which PDA to buy. I'm happy with my cell phone now, so I just want a PDA w. wifi- 3 options, palm tx, ipod touch, or pocket pc. There seems to be no consensus. I know Ohio State gave their entire class the iPod touch.

1. If you have an iPod touch, any complaints?
2. I just want a reliable PDA that will be good for next several years in terms of program compatibility, with very minimal/no fees for med programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

get the ipod touch, but you're gonna wish you had the iphone soon after you use it (touch is much better than the other options you listed though).

get the ipod touch, but you're gonna wish you had the iphone soon after you use it (touch is much better than the other options you listed though).

You might wish you had an iPhone, but you won't wish you had the bill for the data plan...

Anyway, I went with the HP iPAQ 110 (runs Windows Mobile 6) last year and don't regret my decision, since I really wanted the full Epocrates and lots of other free med software (Diagnosaurus, calculators, etc). I think that now the touch has most of those things and is probably better in a lot of ways, though I definitely prefer handwriting recognition to the on-screen keyboard. At that point you're really choosing between two very functional devices that will both do whatever you need on the wards and beyond, though the Touch is definitely has some cool added functions. I decided against the Palm TX based on inferior internet connectivity and generally being a lot slower.

Members don't see this ad :)
iPod Touch. You can use all of the medical apps in the App Store

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGenre?id=6020&mt=8

It has a fantastic web browser and great multimedia capability. Actually, if you're going to get a non-phone, there really isn't any other PDA worth considering given that most PDAs are going obsolete with the demise of Palm OS. The only reason that the iPod Touch is selling is the size, screen, games, multimedia, browser, and apps, not for any of its PDA functions.

You may want to find out if your school has specific requirements about a PDA. You may be required to use some tracking software that only runs on certain devices or operating systems.

If that's not the case and you'll always have access to Wi-Fi, then I vote for the iPod touch.