White coat for observership/Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaraBovis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of white coats are appropriate here. I personally like them short. Any advice?

--Resolved. :thumbup: Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Buy online. Most IMG's get a short coat, full sleeve. Most students in the states choose not to button. I only button if my tie will fall into nasty crap when i lean forward.

Buy online. Most IMG's get a short coat, full sleeve. Most students in the states choose not to button. I only button if my tie will fall into nasty crap when i lean forward.

erm..where online? Oh, and how do I need to be dressed for CS?
edit: plus, the thing with buying online is that I won't know how it fits, so would prefer a store if there's one close by.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, can't help you with the store information. You need to be professionally dressed for CS, whatever you would wear to the clinics (dress pants, dress shirt). I would assume you'd dress the same as an observing female.

It is New York.....Just do an internet search for stores that sell medical and lab uniform type stuff. We have 3 stores within 10 minutes drive where I live in a much smaller location, so I'm pretty sure you could find something there.

Just wear the whitecoat. Don't look into things so much. My school does longer ones, many do shorter. It really doesn't matter.

If you're in NYC, go to the Union Square Barnes and Noble. They sell short length lab coats on the 3rd floor. Warning: there are two barnes and nobles in union square. Pretty sure its the smaller one on 18th and 5th not the bigger on on 17th and broadway (hopefully I didnt get that backwards).

For those not from NYC: yes. The are exactly one block apart. But thats not the worst part. The worst part is that there are two starbucks between them in that 1 block.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/bookst...te-Swan-Uniforms-Mens-White-Consultation-Coat

From the SDN bookstore. I bought it for school last year; it's a good coat, got the job done and it's only $13.

Thanks all for the replies. Wanted to add a question: what else do you need for CS (besides a white coat and a stethoscope)? Which stethoscope do most residents tend to use and where can I get it? I know the costs vary HUGELY..I hope most of you don't have the really pricey ones.

i just took CS in march 2011 and passed, any sized (long/short) white coat will do. the only other thing you need is a stethoscope (non digital) and it can be the cheapest $10 toy ever. You will not need to "hear" a murmur or anything like that, it's just the action of "okay now i'll be listening to your heart, lung, abdomen" and putting the stethoscope in the appropriate locations.