Who has a deposit at 2+ schools? Oh, and what dental school is #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering who has more than one seat reserved. I am sure some people on wait lists are also wondering this same thing. I will start by saying I sent a deposit to UCSF ($200) and Creighton ($800).

J2AZ: UCSF, Creighton

Members don't see this ad.

J2AZ said:
I am wondering who has more than one seat reserved. I am sure some people on wait lists are also wondering this same thing. I will start by saying I sent a deposit to UCSF ($200) and Creighton ($800).

The school you like most is the the #1 school buddy.

After you become a dentist, I am pretty sure taht no one will ask you where you graduated from.

I sent in a deposit for Penn ($500) and UCLA ($200) . I'm withdrawing from Penn soon.

niceteeth: UCLA, UPenn

Members don't see this ad :)
penguinteeth said:
The school you like most is the the #1 school buddy.QUOTE]

Buddy....howd you know my name was Buddy?

Maryland has $300 of mine but I already withdrew so I don't know if it counts.

USUaggie: Maryland, Loma Linda

J2AZ said:

J.,
$800 is a lot to lose compared to $200. Go attend Creighton. :laugh:

same old stupid thread. close it. there are like hundreds of thread of what school people think is #1.

ecrdoubles15 said:
same old stupid thread. close it. there are like hundreds of thread of what school people think is #1.

I think this is one of the best threads right now....very helpful for people waiting. Read the question carefully before you make a comment...why are people so hostile on sdn???

you guys only had to pay $200?? my columbia deposit was $1000!!

Well, I didn't make a deposit since they don't require one, but I'm just about to pull out of UNLV.

$500 for USC and $1000 for CASE!

jini: USC, CASE

onetoothleft said:
you guys only had to pay $200?? my columbia deposit was $1000!!

Looks like I have you all beat so far. I dropped a $2000 deposit for Boston on a Thursday. Received an interview from my #1 school that Friday. Interviewed there on Monday. Boston cashed my check on Tuesday. Accepted at my #1 on Wed. $500 deposit sent there on Thursday.

$2500 in deposits in one week. OUCH! That hurt.

heeyy, BU made me pay a $3,000 deposit.... :mad:

fishindr said:
Looks like I have you all beat so far. I dropped a $2000 deposit for Boston on a Thursday. Received an interview from my #1 school that Friday. Interviewed there on Monday. Boston cashed my check on Tuesday. Accepted at my #1 on Wed. $500 deposit sent there on Thursday.

$2500 in deposits in one week. OUCH! That hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would put down another deposit and not tell the other school that they no longer are interested in going there. It makes no sense to me that if you get into the school that you want to go to, put down your deposit, then don't turn around and call the school that you aren't going to attend and withdraw.. Who cares if they aren't going to give you your money back. All you are doing is screwing over the other dental applicants, not the school, by doing that. Make your decision!!!

DIRTIE said:
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would put down another deposit and not tell the other school that they no longer are interested in going there. It makes no sense to me that if you get into the school that you want to go to, put down your deposit, then turn around and call the school that you aren't going to attend and withdraw.. Who cares if they aren't going to give you your money back. All you are doing is screwing over the other dental applicants, not the school by doing that.

BUMP.
If a guy has acceptance from UCLA/UCSF, please give up your spot at somewhere east coast.

DIRTIE said:
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would put down another deposit and not tell the other school that they no longer are interested in going there. It makes no sense to me that if you get into the school that you want to go to, put down your deposit, then turn around and call the school that you aren't going to attend and withdraw.. Who cares if they aren't going to give you your money back. All you are doing is screwing over the other dental applicants, not the school by doing that.

it's because some people put down a deposit for a particular school, but then find out that they were accepted to another school they would consider attending. however, they have still not come to a final decision on which school they like best, so they put the deposit down for the second school to buy themselves more time to decide. I would hope that for people who did this, that their intention was not to screw the school or other dental applicants.

This is the best thread as of right now, especially for people are on waitinglists. And for the those who are getting anoyed by this thred, please read the question, it is NOT a thread about the best dental school.

canuck_chick said:
heeyy, BU made me pay a $3,000 deposit.... :mad:

Yeah, BU require $3000 altogether, $2000 initially and a $1000 one month later.

Tufts $1,500! Still interviewing this week at my potential no. 1 and could be withdrawing from Tufts soon, not sure, still playing the game

DIRTIE said:
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would put down another deposit and not tell the other school that they no longer are interested in going there. It makes no sense to me that if you get into the school that you want to go to, put down your deposit, then don't turn around and call the school that you aren't going to attend and withdraw.. Who cares if they aren't going to give you your money back. All you are doing is screwing over the other dental applicants, not the school, by doing that. Make your decision!!!

I put down two for financial reasons. I need to see what financial aid packet I receive from the two schools. Looks like Creighton will cost 225K for the 4 years. UCSF is a state school that offers Cal Grants. I have heard from several students that the cost of attendance comes in much lower than the published figures. B/C UCSF is a state school they are also very slow. They say fin aid packets/offers should be out in May.

DIRTIE said:

I did make my decision, I'm not going to Boston. Great city, but too much money and too far from my family and friends (you probably don't care about my reasons though, do you?) So, I called the school and they said that I need to write a letter explaining that I understand I won't get my 2G's back. Does this make sense? I call to do them and everyone else a favor and let them know that they would have one extra spot and they want ME to write the letter? Seems to me that if they want a full class come Aug., they better get a withdrawl form that they can send out to those people that don't pay the 2nd deposit/call and tell them they are withdrawing. As of now, all I have to do is sit back and not go, hopefully they've given my spot to someone else.

fishindr said:
I did make my decision, I'm not going to Boston. Great city, but too much money and too far from my family and friends (you probably don't care about my reasons though, do you?) So, I called the school and they said that I need to write a letter explaining that I understand I won't get my 2G's back. Does this make sense? I call to do them and everyone else a favor and let them know that they would have one extra spot and they want ME to write the letter? Seems to me that if they want a full class come Aug., they better get a withdrawl form that they can send out to those people that don't pay the 2nd deposit/call and tell them they are withdrawing. As of now, all I have to do is sit back and not go, hopefully they've given my spot to someone else.
Are you serious about not understanding their reasons? Anyway, I'm not waiting for Boston, but it'd be nice if you could spare some minutes and 37cents. Someone will be thankful for that.

To the OP: I like this thread indeed. It helps me identify who make my wait time longer. :mad: :smuggrin: :laugh: On the other hand, it tells us if there is still hope. :thumbup:

luder98 said:
Are you serious about not understanding their reasons? Anyway, I'm not waiting for Boston, but it'd be nice if you could spare some minutes and 37cents. Someone will be thankful for that.

To the OP: I like this thread indeed. It helps me identify who make my wait time longer. :mad: :smuggrin: :laugh: On the other hand, it tells us if there is still hope. :thumbup:

Of course I'm serious, and since you seem to be so very informed about the process, why don't YOU explain it. I'd sure love to hear what you think their reasoning is, it should be hilarious.

My point is, that Boston is a school that accepts A LOT of applicants, and fully expects/understands that many of those will initially accept their offer only to later withdraw because they got into another (cheaper, closer, etc. etc.) school. I would think that being the case, they would have an alternate plan for those that withdraw their application. Altruism seems like a very ineffective option.

luder98, there's definitely still hope, albeit dwindling. I was told once to call the schools, or better yet, show up on the first day of classes and see if someone didn't show up (this happens more often than you think). Since you're there, in person, and ready to fill out the paperwork, you may just get the nod. I know of one dentist that got in this way.

To all dental school admissions offices: Sorry about that last paragraph, I just made you job that much harder. :laugh:

500 for USC and 1000 for Loma Linda

jini: USC, CASE
jonnytight: LLU, USC

bump, 'cause I'm still waitin'. If those of you who are still double deposited will even just divulge when your next deposit deadline at your second choice is, I'd appreciate it. As I mentioned before, this waiting is a veritable hell. (Insert cardboard sign here with magic marker pleas...) "Every little bit helps. So, help a brother out here!!"

If any of you are still sitting on multiple deposits by next week I'm going to start making school assignments...j/k ;)

My 2nd deposit deadline for Penn is May 1st but I've already decline my acceptance. Hope another SDN member gets my spot. Penn is an awesome school! Good luck.

I had a deposit at Pitt and Medical University of South Carolina. I withdrew from MUSC yesterday. To answer DIRTIE's question, I don't think people try to screw the school and other applicants over but from personal experience we are just trying to buy more time to decide which school is best for us.
Sorry

Thanks Niceteeth and Kashew for your responses!!! Come on, lets keep the posts coming...I'm not the only one who wants to know when and where seats are going to start opening up. Thank you kindly to all who respond.

I put down 1 deposit ($750) at Temple and called Brian before the second deposit was due to let him know I was not going to send in the second $750 because I was going to attend another school. Recently I put down $500 to secure my spot at Indiana. At least one seat should have opened up at Temple

thanks bullfan. I'm interested in Temple.

I also had a deposit (1500) at Tufts and (1000) at Columbia. I did notify Tufts I will not be attending. Awesome School though, hard decision. I also wasn't able to make my decision until just recently. Side Note what is going on with the UCSF alternate list. I personally know 8 people on it and no one who interviewed denied???? The don't goive any info, but have a feeling there is hudnereds of students on that list :confused: