Who here took step 2 after a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderboy00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm really sorry to bug you again about step 2, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
So I'm planning on taking a year off after this year to do some derm research, but am debating whether or not to take my step 2 right after 3rd year, or wait till i get back from my year off and take it during my 4th year after i apply. Ideally, I would like to take step 2 after I apply (i.e in october-december) so PD's won't see my score...but I'm just worried that by that time I will not only have forgotten a lot of the material, but I will also be so busy/stressed with externships, interviews, etc. On the other hand, if I took it right after third year, I would have about a solid month to study, but I would be risking getting a low score that would "hurt" my step 1 score...
I apologize for rambling, but I was just hoping to get some experiences of anyone who took step 2 after a one year hiatus. thank you guys in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I bombed Step 2 after a year of research. Damn lucky I matched the first time around.

yea, that's what i'm afraid of....
did you take any time off during ur 4th year to study for it? how many weeks total would you say you studied?

Members don't see this ad :)
I bombed Step 2 after a year of research. Damn lucky I matched the first time around.

Hi DermMatch --- so your Step 2 score was actually available for the programs to see when you applied? And obviously, it did not hurt your application? Or did you take Step 2 after you had done all your interviews?

I am very interested because I've taken Step 2 and unlike the general trend, i.e. Step 2 score higher than Step 1, mine actually dropped. It was not a horrible drop but I certainly wish I did as well as I did in Step 1. I am afraid this will affect my ranking :(.

Have been busy - sorry for late reply.

My Step 2 was WAY lower than my Step 1, but it was not available for programs. I wasn't going to risk a lower score when my Step 1 was decently competitive.

Studied for 3 weeks while I was dealing with my derm applications. PAINFUL!

Last edited:
Have been busy - sorry for late reply.

My Step 2 was WAY lower than my Step 1, but it was not available for programs. I wasn't going to risk a lower score when my Step 1 was decently competitive.

Studied for 3 weeks while I was dealing with my derm applications. PAINFUL!

>25 pts lower?

This is my great fear. I tell people all the time that I plan on delaying step 2, and they all call me crazy. especially since i end 3rd year with IM and all that crap will be fresh in my mind. i sorta just want to get it out of the way. what's the harm in taking step 2 early and then withholding scores from programs? is this viewed less favorably than a person who simply delays taking the exam altogether? and if so, why?

I delayed because I could.

The common sense approach would be to withhold the score if there is any chance of it being significantly lower than Step 1. Why voluntarily risk adding a black mark to an otherwise good CV?

But if your Step 1 is good, and you hide your Step 2, I can be pretty sure that attendings will not be tossing all night wondering what your Step 2 is.

However, I can very strongly assert that by the time people reach the interview, the scores and AOAs and hard numbers are out the window. It's the soft CV -- the overall accomplishments -- the performance during clinical rounds, and the general "Are you a good guy I want to work with?" -- that clinches a rank or screws it over.

As a resident, I don't screen out candidates based on scores--I screen out candidates based on their personalities and performance during interviews. And yes, we have a huge say in who gets ranked well--particularly who does NOT get ranked highly.

Don't underestimate your treatment of residents during your rotation--we don't forget the obnoxious brat, or the socially awkward, or the aloof. The best is the med student who thinks he or she is better than us.

I delayed because I could.

The common sense approach would be to withhold the score if there is any chance of it being significantly lower than Step 1. Why voluntarily risk adding a black mark to an otherwise good CV?

But if your Step 1 is good, and you hide your Step 2, I can be pretty sure that attendings will not be tossing all night wondering what your Step 2 is.

However, I can very strongly assert that by the time people reach the interview, the scores and AOAs and hard numbers are out the window. It's the soft CV -- the overall accomplishments -- the performance during clinical rounds, and the general "Are you a good guy I want to work with?" -- that clinches a rank or screws it over.

As a resident, I don't screen out candidates based on scores--I screen out candidates based on their personalities and performance during interviews. And yes, we have a huge say in who gets ranked well--particularly who does NOT get ranked highly.

Don't underestimate your treatment of residents during your rotation--we don't forget the obnoxious brat, or the socially awkward, or the aloof. The best is the med student who thinks he or she is better than us.

How about quirky sense of humor, but well meaning, hard working, and generally selfless. at least this is how i like to see myself.

so how does that work in general? do the residents sit with the attendings to come up with the rank list? i am surprised that scores/AOA are out the window after the interview in terms of coming up with a rank list. good to know.

so how does that work in general? do the residents sit with the attendings to come up with the rank list? i am surprised that scores/AOA are out the window after the interview in terms of coming up with a rank list. good to know.

Depends on the program. Some email out candidate names and specifically solicit comments for each candidate, and it's up to the PD to collate the feedback. Some programs have residents compile a running list based on consolidated resident feedback, which is reviewed at the rank meeting. Some programs have residents compile a specific resident rank list (differentiated from just a list of yays and nays) which is then also debated at the final rank meeting. Some have residents sit in on the rank meeting; some don't. Lots of different ways of doing it.

But residents always have a say. ALWAYS.

And it's not just the residents who interview you that have a say. It's the residents who meet you during the preinterview dinner; the breakfast, lunch, and break times; the tour; and, of course, your rotations who all have a say. We compare notes and impressions with each other as well.

I may have overstated when I say scores and AOA are "out the window." Everyone who has made the interview cut are considered as having essentially the same standing from the scores and AOA perspective. Judgment then moves to the overall CV, the general impressiveness of the candidate, the candidate's bearing and interview conduct.