Who is working under my medical license!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDMO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brokeback DMO to GMO....

I am in a new billete with primarily GMO responsibilities. I am at a clinic/MTF
seeing primarily AD patients. There are HM?, IDC's, RN's and PA all seeing patients. I am the only MO. There are other satellite clinics with no docs and some with other GMO's. How many of these "providers" ( I use the term loosely) are working under my license? Is this something I should worry about? I seriously doubt I have any choice in the matter but I would appreciate any wisdom. Specifically, can I loose the thing I have worked so hard for......

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. Just the other day I was considering marching into the commander's office to demand that no PA, NP, other midlevel practice under my license. I was going to make a case to my state medical board that I am being forced to accept risks without my consent if the evil nurse refused. It is kinda late in the game for me with less than 2 months left, but for some brave cranky soul out there, this might be a nice attention getter to the nurse mafia that runs mil med.

Brokeback DMO to GMO....

seeing primarily AD patients. There are HM?, IDC's, RN's and PA all seeing patients. I am the only MO. There are other satellite clinics with no docs and some with other GMO's. How many of these "providers" ( I use the term loosely) are working under my license? Is this something I should worry about? I seriously doubt I have any choice in the matter but I would appreciate any wisdom. Specifically, can I loose the thing I have worked so hard for......

There are instructions out there at each MTF that have guidance about how many records have to be reviewed for each 'provider'.

don't ask to many questions about this, or you will get assigned to review everyones records which just means more work for you.

If you are assigned to review someones records, then they are working under your license. This is one reason to make sure that all of these extenders only see active duty, then at least the Feres doctrine protects you from lawsuits.

If an IDC is seeing dependents, and your assigned either by specific letter, or by your position in the clinic, then you need to either be incredibly comfortable that the IDC can make good decisions (at least as good as you would), or you should figure out how to keep them from seeing anything but active duty.

Good luck, and enjoy your tour in the sandbox, cause clinic GMO spots are just a waiting room to go to the litterbox.

i want out

Members don't see this ad :)
Brokeback DMO to GMO....

If you're at an MTF, credential decisions are handled by ECOMS and this is really their problem. If you haven't signed a supervision letter, you don't own the IDCs, etc. Whoever is in charge of your clinic should know the answer to who is the physician supervisor for these folks. If IDCs are seeing non-AD pts, be darn sure the head of ECOMS knows.

There are instructions out there at each MTF that have guidance about how many records have to be reviewed for each 'provider'.

don't ask to many questions about this, or you will get assigned to review everyones records which just means more work for you.

If you are assigned to review someones records, then they are working under your license. This is one reason to make sure that all of these extenders only see active duty, then at least the Feres doctrine protects you from lawsuits.

If an IDC is seeing dependents, and your assigned either by specific letter, or by your position in the clinic, then you need to either be incredibly comfortable that the IDC can make good decisions (at least as good as you would), or you should figure out how to keep them from seeing anything but active duty.

Good luck, and enjoy your tour in the sandbox, cause clinic GMO spots are just a waiting room to go to the litterbox.

i want out

God you need to stop bitching... your tone is so negative.

Honestly... it's the MILITARY. It's the military. IT'S THE MILITARY.

You aren't being put-upon if you are deployed. It's what you signed up for.

Flame away, but I stand by this.

Interesting. Just the other day I was considering marching into the commander's office to demand that no PA, NP, other midlevel practice under my license. I was going to make a case to my state medical board that I am being forced to accept risks without my consent if the evil nurse refused. It is kinda late in the game for me with less than 2 months left, but for some brave cranky soul out there, this might be a nice attention getter to the nurse mafia that runs mil med.

lol... it'd be a real powerplay :thumbup:

they went through this thing in the Army where they wanted PAs to be state lic.

then the shooting started and that just went away. I always had a lic. anyway and you just sent them a form telling them you are on active duty and it just kind of goes into suspended animation.

It was never made clear to me who what my designated supervising physician was, especially in an infantry unit.

when I pulled one last assignment in an MTF I had a couple of little turds that had just passed their IM boards and all of the sudden they thought they were going to fix everything. They started busting my balls, and I just told them if they wanted to call the state PA board and fill out the form making them my designated S.P. I'd be happy to eat all the crap they wanted to dish out, otherwise, go screw yourself.

Do you have any idea the frame of reference the person to whom you are speaking is writing from? I'm guessing not, since your title states that you are not in the military.

MaximusD,

Once you have made at least two trips to the sandbox then I might listen to your opinion on my negativity, until then, PISS OFF.

i want out (of IRR)

It was never the prospect of being killed that bothered me at my core.

It was always the spectre of when I'd reach my breaking point and beat the hell out of a truly deserving a$$hole. That really had me rattled and the longer I stayed in, the more unnerved I became.

MaximusD,

Once you have made at least two trips to the sandbox then I might listen to your opinion on my negativity, until then, PISS OFF.

i want out (of IRR)

I'm not questioning your patriotism... I'm questioning your logic and how you are portraying yourself. Just so we're clear. Military medicine may be broken, but it is still an honor to serve and I think in the final analysis you would agree --

Your point stands though. My apologies.

It was always the spectre of when I'd reach my breaking point and beat the hell out of a truly deserving a$$hole. That really had me rattled and the longer I stayed in, the more unnerved I became.

I remember when I worked with homeless shelters one of our guests was someone who had done exactly that. War vet, seriously injured by a grenade but managed to recover enough to go back to AD, and ended up going to jail for putting a particularly pissantish 2nd LT through a 2nd story window. Very nice guy, one of the very few guests who we managed to help get a job and a home.

I remember when I worked with homeless shelters one of our guests was someone who had done exactly that. War vet, seriously injured by a grenade but managed to recover enough to go back to AD, and ended up going to jail for putting a particularly pissantish 2nd LT through a 2nd story window. Very nice guy, one of the very few guests who we managed to help get a job and a home.

Ring knocker? :smuggrin:

Ring knocker?

All I know about the jackass is that he made this poor vet stand at attention for about an hour, while he screamed at him over some triviality, a week after the vet was in the hospital getting shrapnel pulled out of him. So I'd guess... yes.