Who to send thank you notes to after interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosty42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people typically send thank you notes to everyone involved in the interview day or just your actual interviewers?

Should I send one to the admissions staff who gave a presentation and the medical student tour guides, too?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that some schools (ie Mayo) informally require them. Other schools prohibit them (or discourage them). I would recommend looking through past school specific threads. I’ve found that it’s asked for almost every school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always question info with “I have heard” as its source. No school has any sort of formal or informal requirement for a thank you note to interviewers. For one thing, interviewer’s evaluation is usually within a day or two of interview. Indeed most interviewers write reports immediately after interview or later same day. Personally if a thank you note showed up and placed in file after my eval, I would never see it. I have no reason to look at file again

A thank you note or lack thereof will have zero impacr on any application being considered
My advice to SDNers is to write these only if your momma taught you to be polite.

Reactions: 2 users
The rest of us know that you are the one who deserves thanks, not us.
200.gif
you-are-the-real-heroes-recognition.gif

(Are we the Homelanders?)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you all for your input!

I think I'm going to send them. It's not a matter of whether or not it has an impact on my application; it feels rude not to.

Does anyone know of any templates/sample thank yous?

I know ya'll don't know me in person, but if I interview you, I don't want a thank you note. Thank you.

...and if you use a template or something and someone picks up on that, it just comes off as a little fake/going through the motions.

Just write a short concise message that hopefully loops back to something memorable from the interview/discussion you had with the interviewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know ya'll don't know me in person, but if I interview you, I don't want a thank you note. Thank you.

...and if you use a template or something and someone picks up on that, it just comes off as a little fake/going through the motions.

Just write a short concise message that hopefully loops back to something memorable from the interview/discussion you had with the interviewer.
Thank you for your insight! That’s essentially what I did.

I’m sure plenty of interviewers would rather not receive thank yous, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and annoy a few who don’t care about them in order to make sure those who do care do receive them.

Reactions: 1 user
Yah that's fair. I don't really pay attention to be honest, but maybe some do.

To throw another wrench in the gears, there are some who may get the 'wasting paper' vibe and would rather either not get them or get an email opposed to a written snail mail note.

To be clear, I sent emails, not handwritten notes. No one, interviewer or interviewee, has time for that.